New Addition to Pilots of America

As soon as I got my (single engine) PPL I went into building cross country time and training for the commercial, HP, seaplane and IR, so that I could use it for self-employed business trips weekly, and that's what I did. All in SkyHawks and SkyLanes sometimes filled with people, mostly not. NEVER missed a weekly trip for years and used IFR on ~1/3 of the flights, either to get out of town or get back in, May through Oct on a tight schedule.

To get that scheduling reliability in the colder, icing months too, KI planes like a Turbo K Centurion would be my choice, or whatever you can afford at that time that will carry all the numbers that you need. Plenty of K single engines, go to K twins if needed.

Insurance company's love IFR ratings because those pilots are substantially better all around and also safer. You'll need a few hundred hours just for insurabilty in those K birds anyway, so have fun getting more experience by getting higher ratings, learning about their capabilities and costs by flying a few models with a CFI.

Last edited:
Flyboy, I normally stay away from these type threads. For one thing you never know if they are for real or just somebody having a little fun. If it is for real there is no "one" right answer. Sooo, I am going to assume you are for real but, just don't understand what you are asking.

You stated goal is to have your own airline based on a poorly equipped Archer.
Your last post poses a little more reasonable question. It is that question I will throw a few ideas at.

The first thing you might want to look at is typical corporate aviation (part 91) and look at their equipment and the qualifications of the pilot(s) Most of my experience is in corporate aviation with a little, many years ago, of part 135 air taxi. Lets look at the aircraft first. Your stated goal actually is putting you squarely into the kerosene world but, we will look at piston twins anyway.

First 4-5 passengers plus pilot, six total. Do you really want to stick 6 grown ups into a Seneca III, or Aztec for a six hour trip? Six average men in a typical light twin will limit fuel to maybe 2-3 hours at most. New York to say Orlando would require 2 fuel stops and take the most part of a day each way. I do not think we even need to discuss an Archer. Yes there are six place singles that will carry just as much. I just don't do single engine aircraft, that is just me. Others will strongly disagree. I will say this, if you are going twin engine, make sure you know the plane inside and out. Know what it will and will not do. Above all get quality training on a continuing basis. No exceptions.

This kind of a load is in the cabin class realm in reality. One very popular choice which I happen to have a little over 2500 hours in would be a PA31-350, or Chieften/ Navajo. Typically you can carry 800 - 900 pounds plus 4-4.5 hours of fuel with a cruise speed of 175-180 knots. This is just one example of an aircraft that might work.

Next lets look at pilot qualifications. Insurance drives this for the most part and I am sure there are some on here than can give better numbers than I can. These are very general observations based on my experience, this will vary. To get a job flying a Navajo (PA31) in a typical small corporation will require at LEAST a commercial multi, with 2000 TT and at least 1500 PIC. Insurance on a minimum policy will want to see 3-400 hours multi PIC time and will want you to have at least 20 hours make and model. A small 135 company might cut those numbers by as much as 50%. Why would you subject your employees to anything less? Is it possible that the insurance companies know something you don't? Re-read Jason's third paragraph for a hint at what the insurance companies see.
When you are flying just yourself and can come and go as you please, that is one situation but, when others are depending on you it completely changes everything. Imagine you have a very important 1:00PM meeting in Memphis, TN. The first hour of your flight is forecast moderate rime through 6K with tops at 9K. There is currently a broken line of severe thunderstorms from Little Rock to Jackson. Your rental car is waiting at Memphis. What do you do? Even with something like the Navajo well equipped with the following: FIKI, airborn weather radar, XM, panel mounted IFR waas GPS coupled to a two axis auto pilot, you have to make decisions that are not covered in you basic instrument training. Ice, do you have the equipment to handle the amount of ice you will see on a given flight. Can you make a reasonable guess as to how much ice you will pick up. Do you know how to make sure you have an out?
Thunderstorms, is the hole up ahead large enough to safely get through. Is you airborn radar attenuating or is it actually clear beyond that line you see. A cell is setting over the airport, now what?

The forcast for three hours from now is 800/3. No problem, piece of cake. 2hr:30min into the flight, newest weather is 100 and 1/4, fog , now what? Divert to a place you don't want to be. Hold, hoping it will improve shortly, but, knowing every minute you hold cuts into your fuel reserves? Oh, and your ride is waiting for you at the FBO.

You want to see busy? Try Atlanta on a Thursday afternoon in bad weather. You are number 6 in line, ATC has requested 4 different speeds and is requesting 130 knots on final and make the first turn off. You don't even want to think about missing a radio call!!

OK, my point: 300 or 500 or even a 700 hour pilot with 50 hours ifr is going to be taxed to fly at the level you are talking about.

One possible solution: get 1000 hours or so along with your commercial and multi of course. Buy the plane that will fit your missions and then hire a baby sitter for a year. Find a retired corporate pilot or perhaps an old freight dog and spend a year learning how flying is done in the real world. This way when you get into a situation that scares the crap out of you, you will have somebody that has already had it scared out of him setting next to you.

There is a saying, "Time to spare? Go by air"

Ronnieh,

Wow, out of all, I think you have recommended the best eye-opening solution.
And I love the idea of a baby sitter! Everything you said - makes total sense. Off I go for my ratings and hours :))

question: PA31 - they don't make them anymore. Most of them are 40 year old planes. I mean really old planes. Is it safe to consider them, say compared to newer planes which are way more advanced and equipped with better avionics etc ....?

Question: what is the deal with twins? Aside from paying double for almost everything? I guess my questions more related to actual safety, weather advantages what else? Since you already "twin only" type of person, what is your take?

P.S. I am real :)) sometimes even human! Really appreciate your input!

If it's instrument weather...it's very likely that there will be ice in it.

4) You've said this...I've said this, but I'm going to repeat it. Just because it's instrument weather, don't think you'll be flying in it. There are a LOT of reasons that it wouldn't be a good idea for a rated instrument pilot to launch into instrument conditions. Ice, recency, instrumentation, thunderstorms, wind. A wise instrument pilot in an Archer will likely cancel as many flights on an IFR day as he'll conduct.

Amen. I found in my instrument training that a key thing in the training is that I increased my knowledge of conditions that I will NOT fly a non-FIKI single in. I now have a larger list of conditions that will dictate "drive" rather than "fly". Of course, I've also added conditions to the list that no longer dictate "drive" rather than "fly", but the decision making process has gotten more complicated. Nothing I fly is new. The planes in the club range from 1969 to 1981. /U, 2 /A and one /G. None like ice (nor do I).

Have fun, but have a backup plan when you need to get somewhere. You'll use the backup more often than you expect. But, when you fly, it sure is the best way to get from point A to point B.

Back