New Addition to Pilots of America

N521MA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoy
Hello everyone - just wanted to say hello to all the pilots here!
As of today, I am still a student pilot going for PPL. Actually waiting for my instructor to call me back with a date for my check ride; hopefully this WILL happen next week. Its been very long 19 months, almost 100 hours and 3 schools later I finally got here :yes:

Questions for PROs:
Goal: Although I am not planning for an aviation career (too late for that :rolleyes:), my goal is to be able to transport my own sales team across the country, and I mean entire country (almost like an “internal” airline company). In the beginning I am anticipating that my trips will start small; we are based out of NY, so my initial trips will most likely be to Chicago, Indiana, Florida, Michigan, Cleveland, Boston in a PA-28-181 (Archer III) and given the weather that has a passion to constantly ruin VFR days, I am thinking to immediately go back to school and get my IFR.
Situation: I think I’ve been born as an IFR pilot, as from day “one” I’ve been in love with my instruments; I trust them, I use them on every flight, aside for VFR traffic avoidance, I hardly look out the window for flight references; I feel that my AI gives me a whole lot more than my eyes looking at horizon. However, my instructor keeps saying “you busted your ass for so long, go out and enjoy yourself on the good days, take a break for 6 months, and then start thinking if you’re up to it and do the Instrument rating”.
Dilemma: Although I’ve been seriously bitten by the “FLY” bug from the day I left the runway below, I am looking at this from an angle to combining pleasure with business. If I don’t get the IFR right away, this only means that I will not take the chance of flying my team anywhere, as I will be 99.9% of time paranoid of not being able to return home on a particular schedule; including messing with lives and schedules of people that work with me.As well as, not being able to go anywhere from the get go due to IMC conditions.

Question: Do I listen to the instructor and buzz around for 6 months OR plow through with IFR Rating. And yes, I do understand that IFR is not a license to go into ANY conditions, however, if I have to take year 2012 and research all NON-VFR days and split them into IFR/NOT, I bet I would get a lot more IFR days than NOT. :rolleyes:

I look forward to your comments and wisdom!

Congrats on getting this far and good luck on the check ride and welcome to the forum it's great!!!!

You need 50 hours of cross country before you can take your IR checkride. You will need to do some flying, but you can start your training.

I know you didn't ask this, but there are some good threads on flying your plane in your business and flying with other people in the plane. You have a few issues to face. One is a significant increase to your liability when you carry your employees in the plane. Another is compensation. As a private pilot, flying by yourself, you can expense the whole trip. With passengers, you will only be able to be reimbursed for your pro rata share and then on just gas and oil (and plane rental, if you are renting). So, if there are three people in the plane, you can only be reimbursed for 1/3 of the fuel costs, basically. If the plane is owned by the company and not you personally, you will need a Commercial certificate to carry passengers.

I think I’ve been born as an IFR pilot, as from day “one” I’ve been in love with my instruments; I trust them, I use them on every flight, aside for VFR traffic avoidance, I hardly look out the window for flight references; I feel that my AI gives me a whole lot more than my eyes looking at horizon. However, my instructor keeps saying “you busted your ass for so long, go out and enjoy yourself on the good days, take a break for 6 months, and then start thinking if you’re up to it and do the Instrument rating”.
First, welcome to POA!

Second, the part I bolded described me pretty well as a newly minted PPL too. My CFI encouraged me to use all the instruments at my disposal, and I did, and ended up trusting them more than my Mark Is, except for traffic avoidance, as you say. Now that I fly behind a more complicated panel, I tend to do so even more. But it's not a strength when flying VFR. If my electrical system fails I still have to fly the plane. If my static system gets blocked by a mosquito I still have to land the plane. Every few months I do a pilotage-only flight where I completely ignore the GPS. But I haven't done this somewhere far from familiar territory in a long while, and no CFI has ever had me fly a pattern with all the instruments covered up. So even after getting the instrument rating (especially so, actually), I have some holes in my training that I need to fix. I'm seriously considering getting a tailwheel endorsement.

By all means, get the IR, but don't neglect visual and "seat of the pants" flying skills. That's where it all began, and we'll all need those basics someday no matter how many ratings we have.

Welcome!
Glad you are at the doorstep of the check ride. Congrats

Welcome. I will channel Wayne now: 'Time to spare, go by air'.

I'm not a pro, so maybe my op-ed isn't worth it but you can't be an airline. Notwithstanding the costs/charges side of things, the GA fleet and environment just can't do what the 121/135 guys do. I use my plane for business and pleasure, but if I'm on a business flight, I make allowances for 24-48 hours being stuck somewhere, or renting a car and leaving the plane on the ground to go back and get it when the sun comes out.

Glad to have you here, hope I don't discourage you.

First, good luck on your checkride!

I'm going to be the first (of many) to be a wet blanket in this thread. Here are the realities of some of the things that you've written. Some of them I'm sure that you're aware of...others, I'm not sure.

1) Not everybody will be as passionate about flying as you. You may have already talked to your sales staff about this, but I'd be surprised if over 50% of them actually want to travel with you in this way. A lot of people are afraid of "small planes". For the ones that aren't, you still have to get past their spouse (who is, rightfully, worried about her breadwinner getting onto a plane and leaving 4 kids fatherless). Most of us are pilots and are aware of the risks that are inherent with our passion...and we accept them. Others, you'll find, don't come around quite as easily.

2) Your dispatch reliability in an Archer isn't going to be nearly as high as you currently think that it will be. Even with your instrument rating...you'll likely be grounded in the northeast between the months of October and March. If it's instrument weather...it's very likely that there will be ice in it.

3) I know that it sounds like you'll be able to save all kinds of time by flying yourself between New York and Chicago, but the reality is that you'll often have to pad your travel times to get there reliably using GA. If the weather looks good bad tomorrow (your intended day of travel) but looks good right now...you're leaving 12 hours early. Or your waiting a day because you're socked in. Your prospects will not be as forgiving as you think to the idea that they'll have to move your meeting back 4 hours or a day because a cold front is coming through.

4) You've said this...I've said this, but I'm going to repeat it. Just because it's instrument weather, don't think you'll be flying in it. There are a LOT of reasons that it wouldn't be a good idea for a rated instrument pilot to launch into instrument conditions. Ice, recency, instrumentation, thunderstorms, wind. A wise instrument pilot in an Archer will likely cancel as many flights on an IFR day as he'll conduct.

I really do applaud you for your drive thus far in working towards your cert. And, for your sake, I hope that I'm wrong. But I've been around enough to know more of the realities of traveling by GA.

If you really really want to use your airplane in this way you need to be thinking about moving up to something that can cover ground quickly and something that has FIKI capabilities (flight into known icing). Maybe something with two engines.

Good luck!

You need 50 hours of cross country before you can take your IR checkride. You will need to do some flying, but you can start your training.

I know you didn't ask this, but there are some good threads on flying your plane in your business and flying with other people in the plane. You have a few issues to face. One is a significant increase to your liability when you carry your employees in the plane. Another is compensation. As a private pilot, flying by yourself, you can expense the whole trip. With passengers, you will only be able to be reimbursed for your pro rata share and then on just gas and oil (and plane rental, if you are renting). So, if there are three people in the plane, you can only be reimbursed for 1/3 of the fuel costs, basically. If the plane is owned by the company and not you personally, you will need a Commercial certificate to carry passengers.

Thank you John! This is very good point, however, with me its a bit different as I will not be compensated for the trip - company is mine, either way it simply coming out of my pocket, as my personal interests for these people to increase their sales. As for employees they are 1099s (no liability). So not really a commercial pilot, more like a co-worker helping somebody (free of charge) get to work! ;)

First, welcome to POA!

Second, the part I bolded described me pretty well as a newly minted PPL too. My CFI encouraged me to use all the instruments at my disposal, and I did, and ended up trusting them more than my Mark Is, except for traffic avoidance, as you say. Now that I fly behind a more complicated panel, I tend to do so even more. But it's not a strength when flying VFR. If my electrical system fails I still have to fly the plane. If my static system gets blocked by a mosquito I still have to land the plane. Every few months I do a pilotage-only flight where I completely ignore the GPS. But I haven't done this somewhere far from familiar territory in a long while, and no CFI has ever had me fly a pattern with all the instruments covered up. So even after getting the instrument rating (especially so, actually), I have some holes in my training that I need to fix. I'm seriously considering getting a tailwheel endorsement.

By all means, get the IR, but don't neglect visual and "seat of the pants" flying skills. That's where it all began, and we'll all need those basics someday no matter how many ratings we have.

you are absolutely right! Actually, my instructor would not let me use GPS period. First time he introduced it to me, was when I was ready to do my solo XC and only if I got lost.... so by instruments, I meant to say "six pack" only with map in the lap for navigation. As for pattern work, I also make efforts to land the plane without any instrument reference, as long as I am "safe" :))

Drop the Florida trip from your plans, even Chicago is really pushing it if you have to be there and take non pilot, non family passengers.

I'm going to second what Jason said about your 1099 employees. Sure they sound interested but it is their lives in your hands. Alot of my co workers were interested when I said I started flight instruction for my own entertainment. But when it came to "Do you want to go for a flight with me?" There was some reason (wash my hair, tired, blah blah) for not EVER going with me. I just gave up asking them. So you want your employees to go with you (a brand new IR/PP pilot) No offense I'm not sure I'd go with you. They'd probably go because they feel their job is at stake..you don't want to have nervous people in the back of the airplane. Realistically how many people and luggage and fuel can you pile into an Archer? I fly a Warrior and one person in the back seat and someone next to me is pretty comfy.

I'd take your CFI recommendation enjoy your PPL this summer get some XC time in (not only is it cheaper for you to do it solo it's easier - I started IR training with 30 hours of XC time and it's going to take some good trips to get 20 I need done) Take pictures of the city from 2000ft and bring it in. Warm your employees/passengers to the idea. From NY to Cleveland/Chicago should be a direct flight and it's probably faster then going by air.

First, good luck on your checkride!

If you really really want to use your airplane in this way you need to be thinking about moving up to something that can cover ground quickly and something that has FIKI capabilities (flight into known icing). Maybe something with two engines.

Good luck!

Jason, thank you I really appreciate the input. Where you really hit it on the nail is I do need to consider an upgrade. As I asked my instructor about twins - the response was more like "stay away, as they are not safe" and I kind of put this idea to sleep. I only had my plane for about 6 months now, I love it, but I know I need more serious equipment if I am going to rely on it more heavily; I was also looking at something like Piper Matrix or similar..... I need something economical (if such even exists) and that can carry 4/5 pax at a time....

Any thoughts for a working horse year round?

I'm going to second what Jason said about your 1099 employees. Sure they sound interested but it is their lives in your hands. Alot of my co workers were interested when I said I started flight instruction for my own entertainment. But when it came to "Do you want to go for a flight with me?" There was some reason (wash my hair, tired, blah blah) for not EVER going with me. I just gave up asking them. So you want your employees to go with you (a brand new IR/PP pilot) No offense I'm not sure I'd go with you. They'd probably go because they feel their job is at stake..you don't want to have nervous people in the back of the airplane. Realistically how many people and luggage and fuel can you pile into an Archer? I fly a Warrior and one person in the back seat and someone next to me is pretty comfy.

I'd take your CFI recommendation enjoy your PPL this summer get some XC time in (not only is it cheaper for you to do it solo it's easier - I started IR training with 30 hours of XC time and it's going to take some good trips to get 20 I need done) Take pictures of the city from 2000ft and bring it in. Warm your employees/passengers to the idea. From NY to Cleveland/Chicago should be a direct flight and it's probably faster then going by air.

No argument that people will be concerned whether to fly with me or not. However, these people practically live in the airplanes due to nature of their business; they are not "MY" employees; all self employed so there is now intimidation by me simply because I asked them .... so far, the people that know about me approaching my PPL, all said, finally we can fly out to Boston, perform a quick meeting with people and be back for dinner (NY). Not too much of "scared cat" concerns as of yet, but like you said, when its time to go, only then I will know the truth :))

Comments we've got. Wisdom? Well ... Doc Bruce is pretty smart. Other than that, we're just a bunch of smart asses. :D

Welcome to POA.

Hey now, we're smart enough to get our "asses" above the world and safely land it back down! That is already above average human capabilities! :goofy:

Welcome,

I earned my VFR, then was forced to land in Garden City because of clouds.

I earned my IFR and enjoy it a lot but wife doesn't care to fly with me in IMC.

If you are going to carry passengers and use this for business, then get your commercial ticket and a larger airplane.

If you are going to fly a lot, go to a twin.

Just my opinion.

Terry

Jason, thank you I really appreciate the input. Where you really hit it on the nail is I do need to consider an upgrade. As I asked my instructor about twins - the response was more like "stay away, as they are not safe" and I kind of put this idea to sleep. I only had my plane for about 6 months now, I love it, but I know I need more serious equipment if I am going to rely on it more heavily; I was also looking at something like Piper Matrix or similar..... I need something economical (if such even exists) and that can carry 4/5 pax at a time....

Any thoughts for a working horse year round?

Nothing wrong with a twin, and honestly what you would need at minimum is a FIKI turbo charged twin if you want to go all over all year reliably.

A turbine would even better

Edit,

Thinking about it for year round flights with 4-5 passengers you are up to a Navajo or 414 as the lower end of the spectrum IMO

Last edited:
I took my IR written 3 times.

Made high marks each time but could never handle the GPS or find a CFII that I related too. (You know how us old folks are) :)

Finally called PIC and in seven days had my instrument ticket. Best move I could have made.

Now, I fly IFR with 1,000' & 1 mile personal minimums. Works great and I am not "stuck" somewhere.

Terry

The IR was tough and I almost quit. However, I have had it over 5 years and enjoy it. Presently, I am working on my commercial ticket.

Thank you John! This is very good point, however, with me its a bit different as I will not be compensated for the trip - company is mine, either way it simply coming out of my pocket, as my personal interests for these people to increase their sales. As for employees they are 1099s (no liability). So not really a commercial pilot, more like a co-worker helping somebody (free of charge) get to work! ;)

Sorry, I got the misimpression that you were looking to write off expenses through the business. That can get complicated, but is doable. You just have to set it up right. I am still not 100% sure of the liability issue, but there still may be some increased liability as you are flying in the pursuit of your business. You should probably check with a knowledgeable broker and make sure you are covered.

http://www.riskandinsurance.com/story.jsp?storyId=13408490
INCREASING LIABILITY
Though the advantages of having employees fly their own planes or rented ones are convincing to some, many risk managers feel allowing this practice opens a company to more liability and higher insurance costs. Injury or death of an employee while flying his plane on company business would normally be excluded from a company's travel accident policy and group life insurance program. Would a hold harmless and indemnity agreement with a waiver of claims for workers' compensation and health insurance be valid if there was an accident? What would the company's liability be for injury to a nonemployee in an employee's plane on business?

Fly around till you have the 50 hours cross country time. Maybe get a few hours with a CFII in there, practicing under the hood. Then do one of the accelerated courses from PIC or another reputable training company.

If you just want to ferry your salespeople around on occasional trips - and you are paying for it then you are in good shape. Nothing wrong with that in the eyes of the FAA. Obviously make it known to your employees that you are just offering to help them out and if they do not think they would like flying in a small airplane you won't be offended if they refuse.

On to reliability. Its likely not as bad as some folks have made it sound. In the late fall / winter months out of NY you probably need to refrain from scheduling anything more than a day or two in advance. Other times of the year, go for it. The weather might not be perfect but 98% of the time it will be flyable.

Most of the time the weather is good. I got my instrument rating a year ago and take about one 700nm round trip per month. I haven't had to cancel one yet. Haven't even had to make an approach on a trip. All of my approaches in actual - I specifically sought out low ceilings to fly in and get some experience and practice.

Sorry, I got the misimpression that you were looking to write off expenses through the business. That can get complicated, but is doable. You just have to set it up right. I am still not 100% sure of the liability issue, but there still may be some increased liability as you are flying in the pursuit of your business. You should probably check with a knowledgeable broker and make sure you are covered.

[/FONT]

You can put your company on your aircraft's insurance policy as named insured. Might not even cost extra.

First, welcome!

Then I echo what Jason said many posts earlier.

You most likely need an instrument rating to get maximum utility out of an airplane for your business. That said, the "maximum utility" you can get is highly dependent on the capabilities of the airplane.

Welcome, and I will add my two cents into the mix. The ranges you outlined and the region you operate in exclude reliable year round transport by GA aircraft that are not certified for ice. I spent a few years flying out of Cape Cod and routinely encountered ice between mid October and early April. At times it was nearly beyond the capabilities of the aircraft I flew.

You might want to investigate the insurance advantages of getting a commercial rating even if you can skirt the FARs dealing with compensation. Insurance companies like the extra training. Once you get the machine you need, which sounds to me like a turbine single (Meridian or TBM etc.) or a turbo powered twin budget for and execute recurrent training, that will increase safety and decrease your insurance rates. Being a low time pilot you will get raked over the coals for insurance. Fly safe.

First, I want to say sincere THANK YOU TO ALL! This is just amazing how one can join this forum and get flooded with useful and critical knowledge, and most importantly have ability to simply ask questions and receive valuable answers, that a "wife", pilot friends or even people at the school can't clearly answer, obviously for liability purposes (I do have an amazing instructor and he is God sent, but sometimes I feel like he is holding back with info, perhaps to make sure I don't get too creative :)) LOL

Not to quote a lot of people and make this a book report, I do want to mention that:
1. Yes, plane is already registered to the company and obviously insured
2. I also lease-back this plane to my school, which provides me with even more insurance for passengers and helps out with the bills, as business is still in very early stages of development and so far I've been maintaining my w2 day job :))
3. Sales folks - and I'll be honest here, I really never thought that any of them would even raise interest in flying all over the country in a small plane with a low time pilot. Its quite amazing how these folks, actually ding me, almost every week, asking when they actually fly with me and make this a normal thing. Perhaps I should send them to flight school as well :))) GA needs people like that! And not to say that they are fearless, of course there is a personal trust involved as well; currently we rack up thousands of miles in minivans, where I always get to be the designated driver and over 3 years, these people obviously become comfortable with me be the bus driver.
4. As far as compensation goes, and I don't want to get into the business development politics of this monster, but .... as I fly more and more, I realized that if I could take back 18 years of my life back and start over, I would have certainly got my college degree in aviation and hopefully became an airline pilot with majors; too late now to even talk about it and that ship have sailed!
With that said, I had to come up with another idea, where I can still reach my goal of flying and being the airline captain, without having AA or United hiring me. Consequently, came an idea, where I can grow a business with a mission to help people financially self-develop and by doing that, I will have the resources to have my own little non-public “airline”, where I can haul people around, help them achieve their dreams and most importantly do it absolutely free; WIN-WIN for all. My vision and success in business was never based on the money, as you can’t quantify “how much” is enough, hence its not a clear goal, at least to me. Now, ability to quantify specific Band/Model of an airplane is whole new story! Plus, I can quantify how many people and their families have uncovered better living for themselves – that is obviously priceless!
Sorry for the essay …. Just wanted to define my position ….
So, here is a million $$$ questions: Why did my instructor turned me away from TWINS?

If I was to work towards a twin bird, what are safety factors, things to really taking into consideration?

Who knows why he turned you away from twins. Same reason as some would turn others away from Cessna (personal preference). Why don't you ask your instructor. Then go somewhere where they have a twin and see if YOU like it. That's the important part.

Who knows why he turned you away from twins. Same reason as some would turn others away from Cessna (personal preference). Why don't you ask your instructor. Then go somewhere where they have a twin and see if YOU like it. That's the important part.

I think “why” is a bit rhetorical in its nature and really scopes the idea that if you lose one or both of your engines, you and your pax are pretty much “done” in this lifetime. :rolleyes:

1. At the end of the day, what does the extra engine really buy me, aside from a little bit of useful load, double fuel burn, double insurance, double maintenance and extra drag during engine out? (I think once somebody told me “In a twin, if you don’t remember where you lost your #1 engine, #2 will take you directly to that spot” :hairraise:
2. Does anyone have real experience flying twins and can “evidently” state why twins and not a single with a 350 or even 550 engine? (similar to Matrix) I guess I am just looking for real experience facts; only thing you can use to define criteria to move to a twin
3. As far as if “I” would like it? What’s not to like when you have 2 engines plowing you through a beautiful sky and everything is working as intended? :D

As far as IFR Ratings, how do you feel about those accelerated programs, such at ATP? I spoke with my instructor - he tells me it will take about 4-6 months at a calm non-pressure pace. I also see that there are programs that will get you rated within 10/15 days! How is even possible (even considering you have the hours under the belt). In other words, what are you really going to learn by doing a crash learning just to pass? :dunno:

Any thoughts / arguments / concerns?

I think “why” is a bit rhetorical in its nature and really scopes the idea that if you lose one or both of your engines, you and your pax are pretty much “done” in this lifetime. :rolleyes:

1. At the end of the day, what does the extra engine really buy me, aside from a little bit of useful load, double fuel burn, double insurance, double maintenance and extra drag during engine out? (I think once somebody told me “In a twin, if you don’t remember where you lost your #1 engine, #2 will take you directly to that spot” :hairraise:
2. Does anyone have real experience flying twins and can “evidently” state why twins and not a single with a 350 or even 550 engine? (similar to Matrix) I guess I am just looking for real experience facts; only thing you can use to define criteria to move to a twin
3. As far as if “I” would like it? What’s not to like when you have 2 engines plowing you through a beautiful sky and everything is working as intended? :D

It depends on the aircraft. If you're flying an apache or a twin comanche you're likely not going to fly far when hot or high on one engine. If you're flying a 414/baron/seneca you could likely go around on one if you weren't too heavy. The twin pilots on the board could likely talk to you about more specifics on the different models and their capabilities. Bruce, Ted, Wayne, Dave S (and many others) all fly twins regularly and have flown them in a wide variety of conditions and situations. Listen to them. Seriously.

I only know you from the posts in the thread...and you seem like a really nice, genuine guy. So take this with a healthy grain of salt. But if I had to guess why he turned you away from twins, I'd say it's because you seem to be a very driven/type A person. For anybody that has been around aviation long enough, we've seen it a million times. The guy with a lot of money and a lot of ideas that get him in over his head because he has enough money to fund ambitions that he hasn't earned the right to yet.

Many of us think it's better to work your way up the chain. The idea of a 100 hour instrument rated private pilot launching into a low overcast with three pax on board makes me shake a bit. There is no way to explain this but you just don't know what you don't know yet. You've never launched with a forecast of CAVU and been forced to land hundreds of miles from your destination. You've never had to land for fuel because that headwind was just a little bit stronger than expected and you're not sure if you can make it with the fuel that you have. You've probably never truly scared this **** out of yourself. You've never been stuck with a go/no-go decision to make with a passenger that really needed to get home and you've had to tell them that there was no way that you were flying today. There isn't really a way to simulate these experiences. It just takes time.

The problem often comes when one can fund the upgrades before the experiences happen. Everything happens a lot faster in a Meridian or a Baron than it does in an Archer. The go/no-go decisions become infinitely more complex. The problems are all more difficult. It takes a lot of experience and knowledge to know what the ice will be like in those clouds. It takes a LOT of flying to become proficient in a twin and to maintain that proficiency. Cutting a dead engine needs to become second nature. Your calculations all the more precise.

I'd venture a guess that most of us that have been around for a while would encourage you to take a bit and fly your airplane all over the Northeast so that you really get to know what it's like to travel by GA before you try to step too far up the ladder. I'd say that's what your instructor was likely trying to do. He just didn't take the time to explain why.

Once again, this is just a guess. You seem like a genuine guy. I have no reason to believe that you're "that guy" that I'm talking about above. Just understand that when people try to talk you down...this might be what's going through their heads.

Last edited:
It depends on the aircraft. If you're flying an apache or a twin comanche you're likely not going to fly far when hot or high on one engine. If you're flying a 414/baron/seneca you could likely go around on one if you weren't too heavy. The twin pilots on the board could likely talk to you about more specifics on the different models and their capabilities. Bruce, Ted, Wayne, Dave S (and many others) all fly twins regularly and have flown them in a wide variety of conditions and situations. Listen to them. Seriously.

I only know you from the posts in the thread...and you seem like a really nice, genuine guy. So take this with a healthy grain of salt. But if I had to guess why he turned you away from twins, I'd say it's because you seem to be a very driven/type A person. For anybody that has been around aviation long enough, we've seen it a million times. The guy with a lot of money and a lot of ideas that get him in over his head because he has enough money to fund ambitions that he hasn't earned the right to yet.

Many of us think it's better to work your way up the chain. The idea of a 100 instrument rated private pilot launching into a low overcast with three pax on board makes me shake a bit. There is no way to explain this but you just don't know what you don't know yet. You've never launched with a forecast of CAVU and been forced to land hundreds of miles from your destination. You've never had to land for fuel because that headwind was just a little bit stronger than expected and you're not sure if you can make it with the fuel that you have. You've probably never truly scared this **** out of yourself. You've never been stuck with a go/no-go decision to make with a passenger that really needed to get home and you've had to tell them that there was no way that you were flying today. There isn't really a way to simulate these experiences. It just takes time.

The problem often comes when one can fund the upgrades before the experiences happen. Everything happens a lot faster in a Meridian or a Baron than it does in an Archer. The go/no-go decisions become infinitely more complex. The problems are all more difficult. It takes a lot of experience and knowledge to know what the ice will be like in those clouds. It takes a LOT of flying to become proficient in a twin and to maintain that proficiency. Cutting a dead engine needs to become second nature. Your calculations all the more precise.

I'd venture a guess that most of us that have been around for a while would encourage you to take a bit and fly your airplane all over the Northeast so that you really get to know what it's like to travel by GA before you try to step too far up the ladder. I'd say that's what your instructor was likely trying to do. He just didn't take the time to explain why.

Once again, this is just a guess. You seem like a genuine guy. I have no reason to believe that you're "that guy" that I'm talking about above. Just understand that when people try to talk you down...this might be what's going through their heads.

To the OP: This is a perfectly written response. I am a retired USCG aviator who spent many years looking for folks whose checkbook outweighed their common sense. Read the above comment daily.

Thank you Jason, I clearly see what you're saying and it makes a whole lot of sense! I am that guy that pushes things to the limit, sometimes without realizing it .... You said everything right, accept for the "money" part :)) (there is a reason why I said that I am still have a job (w2) :rofl:

Got my date for the check ride March 4th :)) woo hoo!

Thank you again, you gave me a lot of "MEAT" to think about and the NTSB reports really make me shake sometimes as well ....

Thank you Jason, I clearly see what you're saying and it makes a whole lot of sense! I am that guy that pushes things to the limit, sometimes without realizing it .... You said everything right, accept for the "money" part :)) (there is a reason why I said that I am still have a job (w2) :rofl:

Got my date for the check ride March 4th :)) woo hoo!

Thank you again, you gave me a lot of "MEAT" to think about and the NTSB reports really make me shake sometimes as well ....

Ha!

No problem. We're all in love with flying. Some of us have just been around longer.

Good luck on your checkride!

Where are you in NY? What airport is your plane at?
(He asks as he sits in his hotel room in Brooklyn posting on PoA)

I fly out of KFRG. Long Island NY

I have no advice for the OP. However, in Dec of last year Indy Tim asked a similar question. My opinion was that it was not pratical for a low time pilot in a simple, single engine aircraft to make 40, six hour trips a year and be able to depend on it to happen. People came out of the woodwork here disagreeing with me and stated over and over that it was perfectly doable.
None of their rants changed my mind but, everyone is entitled to an opinion. With the OP here it seems that Jason has the perfect answer. He is more diplomatic than I was but, he seems to me to be saying "it ain't going to happen". (reference Jason's third paragraph)
As Jason said a 200 hour new instrument pilot does not even know the questions yet.
So, to the OP here I am not sure what the consenses is as to the practicability (is that a word) of your plan. I know what my opinion is and if I remember correctly my statement to Indy Tim was "you have got to be kidding" again JMO.

I have no advice for the OP. However, in Dec of last year Indy Tim asked a similar question. My opinion was that it was not pratical for a low time pilot in a simple, single engine aircraft to make 40, six hour trips a year and be able to depend on it to happen. People came out of the woodwork here disagreeing with me and stated over and over that it was perfectly doable.
None of their rants changed my mind but, everyone is entitled to an opinion. With the OP here it seems that Jason has the perfect answer. He is more diplomatic than I was but, he seems to me to be saying "it ain't going to happen". (reference Jason's third paragraph)
As Jason said a 200 hour new instrument pilot does not even know the questions yet.
So, to the OP here I am not sure what the consenses is as to the practicability (is that a word) of your plan. I know what my opinion is and if I remember correctly my statement to Indy Tim was "you have got to be kidding" again JMO.

I definitely agree on what you are saying and hence I am asking, perhaps some foolish questions but at the same time I clearly realize that I most likely will fly a lot and regardless of simple equipment I will have to make some tough decisions whether to fly or not and make the best of it. Of course 100 hours is nothing and by end of this year I should be around 500, given my estimates. Hopefully by then I will have a better picture of what questions I should be asking ....

I do consistently notice that people are hinting that I need to reconsider my equipment and some specifically onto a multi engine airframe. So what are the recommendations for an upgrade with considerations for a "humane" budget and a 4/5 pax requirement? And ultimately, should I get the multi rating or not? Sorry if I sound confusing... Well seems like I am :)

That tail number seems very familiar for some reason....

Just looked in my logbook - I have a lot of hours in N521MC - disregard.

Flyboy, I normally stay away from these type threads. For one thing you never know if they are for real or just somebody having a little fun. If it is for real there is no "one" right answer. Sooo, I am going to assume you are for real but, just don't understand what you are asking.

You stated goal is to have your own airline based on a poorly equipped Archer.
Your last post poses a little more reasonable question. It is that question I will throw a few ideas at.

The first thing you might want to look at is typical corporate aviation (part 91) and look at their equipment and the qualifications of the pilot(s) Most of my experience is in corporate aviation with a little, many years ago, of part 135 air taxi. Lets look at the aircraft first. Your stated goal actually is putting you squarely into the kerosene world but, we will look at piston twins anyway.

First 4-5 passengers plus pilot, six total. Do you really want to stick 6 grown ups into a Seneca III, or Aztec for a six hour trip? Six average men in a typical light twin will limit fuel to maybe 2-3 hours at most. New York to say Orlando would require 2 fuel stops and take the most part of a day each way. I do not think we even need to discuss an Archer. Yes there are six place singles that will carry just as much. I just don't do single engine aircraft, that is just me. Others will strongly disagree. I will say this, if you are going twin engine, make sure you know the plane inside and out. Know what it will and will not do. Above all get quality training on a continuing basis. No exceptions.

This kind of a load is in the cabin class realm in reality. One very popular choice which I happen to have a little over 2500 hours in would be a PA31-350, or Chieften/ Navajo. Typically you can carry 800 - 900 pounds plus 4-4.5 hours of fuel with a cruise speed of 175-180 knots. This is just one example of an aircraft that might work.

Next lets look at pilot qualifications. Insurance drives this for the most part and I am sure there are some on here than can give better numbers than I can. These are very general observations based on my experience, this will vary. To get a job flying a Navajo (PA31) in a typical small corporation will require at LEAST a commercial multi, with 2000 TT and at least 1500 PIC. Insurance on a minimum policy will want to see 3-400 hours multi PIC time and will want you to have at least 20 hours make and model. A small 135 company might cut those numbers by as much as 50%. Why would you subject your employees to anything less? Is it possible that the insurance companies know something you don't? Re-read Jason's third paragraph for a hint at what the insurance companies see.
When you are flying just yourself and can come and go as you please, that is one situation but, when others are depending on you it completely changes everything. Imagine you have a very important 1:00PM meeting in Memphis, TN. The first hour of your flight is forecast moderate rime through 6K with tops at 9K. There is currently a broken line of severe thunderstorms from Little Rock to Jackson. Your rental car is waiting at Memphis. What do you do? Even with something like the Navajo well equipped with the following: FIKI, airborn weather radar, XM, panel mounted IFR waas GPS coupled to a two axis auto pilot, you have to make decisions that are not covered in you basic instrument training. Ice, do you have the equipment to handle the amount of ice you will see on a given flight. Can you make a reasonable guess as to how much ice you will pick up. Do you know how to make sure you have an out?
Thunderstorms, is the hole up ahead large enough to safely get through. Is you airborn radar attenuating or is it actually clear beyond that line you see. A cell is setting over the airport, now what?

The forcast for three hours from now is 800/3. No problem, piece of cake. 2hr:30min into the flight, newest weather is 100 and 1/4, fog , now what? Divert to a place you don't want to be. Hold, hoping it will improve shortly, but, knowing every minute you hold cuts into your fuel reserves? Oh, and your ride is waiting for you at the FBO.

You want to see busy? Try Atlanta on a Thursday afternoon in bad weather. You are number 6 in line, ATC has requested 4 different speeds and is requesting 130 knots on final and make the first turn off. You don't even want to think about missing a radio call!!

OK, my point: 300 or 500 or even a 700 hour pilot with 50 hours ifr is going to be taxed to fly at the level you are talking about.

One possible solution: get 1000 hours or so along with your commercial and multi of course. Buy the plane that will fit your missions and then hire a baby sitter for a year. Find a retired corporate pilot or perhaps an old freight dog and spend a year learning how flying is done in the real world. This way when you get into a situation that scares the crap out of you, you will have somebody that has already had it scared out of him setting next to you.

There is a saying, "Time to spare? Go by air"

Last edited:
Back