Netbook -is this a good buy? (does it need more memory?)

If all you're doing with it is web stuff and email, it should be fine. Forget about running any image editing (or even sorting) programs, or MS-Office, without more memory.

If you could take it up to 2 GB (4 even better) it would be more useful.

I know exactly beans about netbooks other than I've been looking for one lately. If you like Acer, Frys has one that's cheaper than the one you found with twice as much memory and a bigger screen.

http://www.frys.com/product/5949204

Netbooks are great for just about any common purpose. I personally bought a Lenovo 10.1" and am very happy with it.

If you keep your eye out for deals (or have a corp discount like I do), you can get them for ~$250. Memory is about 20 bucks to upgrade afterwards(for a 2gb stick), so don't let that be much of a motivating factor.

My Lenovo lasts all the way across the country flying commercial with the 6 cell battery, so it does exactly what I needed it to do, and has replaced my home desktop.

I purchased an Asos about a month ago and love it. It does all that I need it to do as a weekly traveling companion.

I purchased an Asos about a month ago and love it. It does all that I need it to do as a weekly traveling companion.

I just use the one that's already installed at the airport. I never thought about getting my own. :D

I just use the one that's already installed at the airport. I never thought about getting my own. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Might be a little tough getting the anemometer part on as carry-on, too!

asos1a.gif

Trapper John

The answer to your question is "yes, it will need more memory."

All computers need more memory. You will only improve performance by doing it.

That said, it will work ok without it. But I strongly suggest you upgrade the RAM.

The answer to your question is "yes, it will need more memory."

All computers need more memory. You will only improve performance by doing it.

That said, it will work ok without it. But I strongly suggest you upgrade the RAM.
Which you can't do. It is already at max. memory according to that spec page. I would steer clear -- there are better options as linked above.

Jesse-
All of the ATOM netbooks based on the ref design (as far as I know, all are) have a single user serviceable DIMM. The chipset supports 2GB, so that is the limiting factor. Most likely, it has 2x512mb DIMMs, one of which can be removed and replaced with a 2GB DIMM, maxing it out.

One thing you should learn is that product websites are designed by marketing people, not engineers
Okaaay. I guess I never realized marketing people had anything to do with a website. Sorry...Thanks for informing me.

Thanks for correcting me. In general though -- the manufacturers spec's are something I trust more than someone I don't know saying it'll work.

Okaaay. I guess I never realized marketing people had anything to do with a website. Sorry...Thanks for informing me.

Thanks for correcting me. In general though -- the manufacturers spec's are something I trust more than someone I don't know saying it'll work.

Sorry if that came out wrong, i meant it more tongue-in-cheek snarky instead of how it seems. I re-read it and realized how it ended up sounding.

I apologize.

The point I so uneloquently was trying to make is: In this case, all netbooks are the same on the inside. The all use the same ref-ed motherboards, manufactured by FoxConn, designed by Intel. Because of this, every one of the boards has a user-serviceable DIMM, and a chipset-governed maximum of 2GB of usable memory.

Anything you see that differs from that is most likely going to be a misguided tech-writer thinking that because it is only configurable with 1gb of memory, that is all it can handle. There are no technical limitations that make that so.

The ONLY reason why this wouldn't be the case, is if the manufacturer opted to cover up the slot with a non-user-accessible component to the case.

Staples has an Acer for $299. Same basic description. They also had other vendor netbooks with similar descriptions for $349.
The point is you can get same for less.

To the OP: Watch Woot.com! Every few weeks they will have a highly capable netbook for around 150 bucks! They are often refurbs, but are great machines all the same. The Asus EEEPC goes up pretty often.

If you aren't in a rush, this would be the best solution. Grab what they sell, and upgrade the memory if required, and you'll be more than happy with the buy.

...all netbooks are the same on the inside. The all use the same ref-ed motherboards, manufactured by FoxConn, designed by Intel. Because of this, every one of the boards has a user-serviceable DIMM, and a chipset-governed maximum of 2GB of usable memory.
I know I'm late to this party, but that is not true.
The Dell netbooks, for example, have the 1GB module soldered in, and the DIMM is NOT replaceble.

The only reason I say this is for the user to make absolutely certain that the memory is accessible and upgradeable before purchasing a netbook.
The Acers and Asus units are easily upgradeable. Some the larger "brand name" manufacturers have taken steps to prevent upgrades (don't ask me why).

I know I'm late to this party, but that is not true.
The Dell netbooks, for example, have the 1GB module soldered in, and the DIMM is NOT replaceble.

The only reason I say this is for the user to make absolutely certain that the memory is accessible and upgradeable before purchasing a netbook.
The Acers and Asus units are easily upgradeable. Some the larger "brand name" manufacturers have taken steps to prevent upgrades (don't ask me why).

Incorrect. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5qVOAdUns

I am about as positive with this as I am about anything, since I was part of the qual-team for all of these motherboards :)

I have an Asus that I bought earlier this year. It will take 2 GB of memory.

(By the way, the memory limitation is there in large measure due to Microsoft, who will only license XP for the Netbook if the memory capacity is limited to 2 GB).

It's great for traveling - and light enough that I can take it along with my work laptop when on business. I don't think I'd want to do any serious photo editing on it, but it's fine for downloading from a camera and uploading to a picture site.... (I have built a couple of online picture albums with it using Jalbum and uploaded them to my server. It works quite well for that).

I have an Asus that I bought earlier this year. It will take 2 GB of memory.

(By the way, the memory limitation is there in large measure due to Microsoft, who will only license XP for the Netbook if the memory capacity is limited to 2 GB).

It's great for traveling - and light enough that I can take it along with my work laptop when on business. I don't think I'd want to do any serious photo editing on it, but it's fine for downloading from a camera and uploading to a picture site.... (I have built a couple of online picture albums with it using Jalbum and uploaded them to my server. It works quite well for that).

That is something I've heard in the general public quite a bit, but is actually incorrect. The system control hub is limited to 2GB for technical reasons. It was re purposed from a different application, and Intel just wanted to get the Atom to market ASAP. Better System Control Hubs are in process, and should hit the market soon!

I am about as positive with this as I am about anything, since I was part of the qual-team for all of these motherboards :)

That's correct for the Mini 9, but not for the Mini 10.
Ask Dell why they have had hundreds of returns for the Mini 10.

Here's a Wired link with a statement from Dell that the Mini-10 cannot be upgraded.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/dell-cripples-m/
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/02/23/dell-gimps-ram-on-mi.html

I know it's true for Dell, I have heard (FWIW) that some other major names have done the same so their netbooks don't compete with their UMPC products.

Last edited:
That's correct for the Mini 9, but not for the Mini 10.
Ask Dell why they have had hundreds of returns for the Mini 10.

Here's a Wired link with a statement from Dell that the Mini-10 cannot be upgraded. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/dell-cripples-m/

As I mentioned before: The motherboards are all based on the ref. board, and have 1 soldered, and 1 normal memory DIMM. However, some manufacturers opt to not make it accessible through a door.

For the Mini-10, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_jUFbxHoAU

As you can see, the motherboard supports 2 GB, and someone with a simple screwdriver and some guts can upgrade it still.

EDIT: I realize that is for the Mini-10v, which is a slightly different model. However, according to my sources, the Dell Certified Systems Expert page (http://dcse.dell.com/, if you have the login) shows the process being the same for both. The only 'proof' I've seen that the memory is soldered is this: http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/02/dell-mini-10-dissected.html which only shows 1 side of the motherboard.
From those pictures, I can tell you, it is the same reference board as designed by Intel. AND, they don't flip the motherboard over to show you the removable memory DIMM.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before: The motherboards are all based on the ref. board, and have 1 soldered, and 1 normal memory DIMM. However, some manufacturers opt to not make it accessible through a door.
You and I are saying two different things.

I KNOW that XP and the motherboard will support 2GB.
Yes, you can disassemble the PC (and void your warranty) to get to the 2nd slot.
My point was that all netbooks are not the same. Caveat Emptor, do research, and make sure that the one the OP wants to buy is upgradeable without taking the whole think apart.

I wouldn't mind taking apart a $250 netbook. For what Dell charges, I want to keep that warranty intact.
If you're willing to do surgery, anything is possible with any machine.

You and I are saying two different things.

I KNOW that XP and the motherboard will support 2GB.
Yes, you can disassemble the PC (and void your warranty) to get to the 2nd slot.
My point was that all netbooks are not the same. Caveat Emptor, do research, and make sure that the one the OP wants to buy is upgradeable without taking the whole think apart.

I wouldn't mind taking apart a $250 netbook. For what Dell charges, I want to keep that warranty intact.
If you're willing to do surgery, anything is possible with any machine.

Yep, not all netbooks are the same. This dell, and at least 1 Asus do not have 'user accessible doors' for the memory, I think I mentioned that earlier.

What is funny, is that this doesn't break the Dell warranty! When I was in High School, I had to do exactly this to my Inspiron 2650 (which I still have btw!), and the phone-tech support even helped walk me through the process. All they say is that anything you break while doing this isn't covered, however once it is reassembled and working again, everything is still covered.

FYI to the OP: Woot.com had a 'woot off' this past week, where a bunch of the Asus EEEPC netbooks went for as low as $130 I think. All were reasonably similar and could have been upgraded to something as good sa the 250/300 dollar models. Keep an eye on woot.com (they only have 1 product a day!), they get excellent deals on refurbed Asus EEEPCs.

What is funny, is that this doesn't break the Dell warranty! When I was in High School, I had to do exactly this to my Inspiron 2650 (which I still have btw!), and the phone-tech support even helped walk me through the process. All they say is that anything you break while doing this isn't covered, however once it is reassembled and working again, everything is still covered.
Well THAT's good to know!
I actually marked the Dell off my list for that reason. The Dell just moved back up on the list, because I have no problems doing the upgrade if the warranty is unaffected.

Thanks!

Well THAT's good to know!
I actually marked the Dell off my list for that reason. The Dell just moved back up on the list, because I have no problems doing the upgrade if the warranty is unaffected.

Thanks!

Your welcome! Despite all the flak Dell catches for phone support, their warranty is extremely permissive. There are also a number of techs that might be local to you that you could have upgrade the memory for you for a small fee.

If you feel confident enough to do it (seems like you are competent enough), have fun with it!

That said, If you are looking for a solid 10" Netbook, I still am a huge fan of my 10" Lenovo S10.

Erich,

Nice to see that I'm not the only Intel person on board. If you get up to DuPont, drop by.

POA struck again. I lurked on this thread because I was about to make a 10 days trip and only had an ancient, heavy, non wireless friendly laptop. So after consulting this thread and doing some research on my own, I got ASUS Eee PC from Amazon. Under 400 with a 2GB memory upgrade. Shipping free.

I'm at a trade show, in the exhibit hall, surfing POA. Life is OK. Thanks POAers for helping me spend my money.

I know static electricity issues are a lot more rare than they used to be as far as frying components go, but I just loved watching him educating people on installing a DIMM as he rubs his thumb over the contacts on the new one (1:40-1:45) before putting it in its socket. :rofl:

I was getting all ready to order a netbook, then figured that I already have an Inspiron 710M. A netbook would be thinner, and weigh about 1.5lbs less. Other than that, I can't see a reason to do it!

Back