Need help finding headset adapters for the rear seats

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
My C182 has weird headset outlets that are inside a small box. The plugs that come standard on DCs and Bose headset are too long to fit inside the box, so I cannot plug them in.

Where can I find adapters that are very short and can plug inside the box?

My C182 has weird headset outlets that are inside a small box. The plugs that come standard on DCs and Bose headset are too long to fit inside the box, so I cannot plug them in.

Where can I find adapters that are very short and can plug inside the box?
Pictures?

?? The "standard" jacks on Bose and DC headsets are...well, standard. I've not seen "shorty" versions of these plugs, nor an adapter to make them so.

Is your "small box" a commercial product (that might have a manufacturer name or model number on it), or a custom/DIY job?

Pics would help. Any chance the "box" is installed inside out? Meaning that the depression should be sticking out. I have something along those lines in the back of my Archer. I could easily seem them getting mounted so they are flush with the inside wall vs. proud of it. Hard to explain in words, but easy if you could take a pic of the jacks. Here's what I mean, copied from the Spruce Catalog. Mine is mounted as an "outie" as it shows here in the pic. If it's mounted as an "innie", I could see there being a clearance issue with the plugs.

11-01120.jpg

Last edited:
I ran into the same thing with my plugs which I had to install as an innie because of the rear seat platform needed to be able to raise to check all the stuff under the seat on my Cherokee. You don’t need an adapter. You need to gently bend the area where the holes are. It doesn’t take much, just enough to get the plugs in and it doesn’t noticeably deform the box. I used a couple of longish bolts with fender washers to make the bend.

If your “small box” isn’t the one hang 4 pictured, we will need pics to help you.

Last edited:
Yes, #4 post shows my box, and it was installed as an innie. :(
I will ask the mechanic to see if it can be reversed to an outie.
Thank you Timbeck for a helpful suggestion

So I think @Timbeck2 suggestion was to bend the box just a touch. You might be able to heat it with a heat gun (out of the plane) and put a bolt in the holes and ease the angle to be a bit greater so the plugs fit and still have an "innie".

It is easily bent but out of the plane would make it easier. Outie doesn’t work for me but if you are able to make it an outie then go for it

You just have to bend the one portion the holes are in. And just a little bit. It isn’t noticeable at all but the long plugs fit perfectly

Surely a set of 90-degree stereo plug adapters might be able to rectify the situation assuming the correct sizes could be found.

I agree. Just not sure where to find them.

Finding a 90º for the headset (stereo plug) would be tough enough but the smaller size for the mic plug would take a real effort to locate if such a thing even exist. Consider what Timbeck2 recommended above in post # 9. Seems like an easy and logical answer ...

Finding a 90º for the headset (stereo plug) would be tough enough but the smaller size for the mic plug would take a real effort to locate if such a thing even exist. Consider what Timbeck2 recommended above in post # 9. Seems like an easy and logical answer ...

Yup, that's why I said "assuming the correct sizes could be found". The 1/4 headset jack is an easy find, the 3/16 (.206") Mic plug is pretty much specific to aviation to getting an adapter for that is a much tougher item.

Yup, that's why I said "assuming the correct sizes could be found". The 1/4 headset jack is an easy find, the 3/16 (.206") Mic plug is pretty much specific to aviation to getting an adapter for that is a much tougher item.

I did a quick search for the mic plug size and came up with notta ...

So because it is an "inner" the plug holes are at a bad angle and blocking the plugs from going all the way in?

Finding a 90º for the headset (stereo plug) would be tough
Like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-273-Right-Angle-Adaptor/dp/B000068O3N

41AKh8r9UkL._AC_.jpg

That's 1/4". Not the right size and there are two different sizes needed. One is pretty unique and I doubt you'll find an adaptor (for the mic plug)

Back