Need headset advice for SO

Seth.A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth.A
I'm trying to find a good headset for my girlfriend. So far we've tried the A20 and the Zulu 3. The A20 seems to create a pressure point on the top of her head that gets quite uncomfortable after a while. The Zulu 3 won't stay put on her head for some reason.

So, having tried the two leading ANR headsets without satisfaction, I'm looking for advice on what to try next, or perhaps some adjustment that could be made to one of the other two.

thanks

I like Clarity Aloft. Don't mess up my hair either.

Maybe she's from the old school - DC H10-13.4. :)

@SoonerAviator version….

pair of Dixie cups, coat hanger, and taught bit if twine connected to your headset…

If she is good with ear pods for listening to music, the clarity aloft or qt halo’s are a choice.

Or get a pair of Bose QC35’s and the https://nflightmic.com/ microphone

@SoonerAviator version….

pair of Dixie cups, coat hanger, and taught bit if twine connected to your headset…

If she is good with ear pods for listening to music, the clarity aloft or qt halo’s are a choice.

Or get a pair of Bose QC35’s and the https://nflightmic.com/ microphone
Baling wire preferred over twine so you can really get it cinched tight!

I took my wife to Pilot Mall and she tried on everything they had. She finally settled on the DC OneX. But what’s comfortable for one person might be uncomfortable for someone else.

You just have to try a bunch.

What works for me might not for someone else. Go somewhere that has them you can try on or wait for sun n fun. Or be prepared to buy and return a bunch. The Zulu pfx ate batteries and clamping pressure was significant. Now they're for passengers when I got the A20s. But someone who borrowed my welding hood the other day said I had a big head. "Thank you".

I echo the DC one-x comments. My wife found them at oshkosh and now she has the most expensive set in the cabin.

Question. Does she listen to music with headphones? If so,what type? If she likes a full headset, keep looking in that direction. If she likes earbuds, look at things like the Clarity and Halo (or even the UFQ).

She has historically listened to music with ear buds, but recently received some apple headphones as a gift and really likes those. I think we'll try the DC one-x, if that doesn't work we'll check out the clarity or halo models. If that doesn't work her options will become bailing wire and dixie cups or taking the bus ;)

I took my wife to Pilot Mall and she tried on everything they had. She finally settled on the DC OneX. But what’s comfortable for one person might be uncomfortable for someone else.

You just have to try a bunch.

What Half Fast and RacerX said: Have her try on several pairs until she finds one that is comfortable. Of the ones that are comfortable, get the quietest. Clarity Aloft? I've have had very poor experiences with quality, in that they quit on on side, and/or mic stopped working and tower couldn't hear, and/or stopped working altogether. I do not recommend.

Have her try on several pairs until she finds one that is comfortable
Yup, that's exactly what we're doing. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere near us where we can go and try a bunch out, so its order, return, rinse, repeat.

Yup, that's exactly what we're doing. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere near us where we can go and try a bunch out, so its order, return, rinse, repeat.

You mean you’re passing up an opportunity to fly her somewhere that has a good pilot shop? :(

You mean you’re passing up an opportunity to fly her somewhere that has a good pilot shop?
see, wisdom like this is why I come here. I guess I'm still getting used to the idea that I can use the airplane for things other than helping my CFI build hours.

Fly her to a good pilot shop and also a fun restaurant. Want mega points? Uber to someplace from the airport that she’d like to see.

Fly her to a good pilot shop and also a fun restaurant
If anybody has any recommendations within a reasonable distance for a 172 from Seattle I would love to hear them. Google is coming up short.

It might be easier with a different GF.
My wife didn’t like my airplane, so I got a new one.

To the OP: I mostly fly with Clarity Aloft including in loud planes. When I got a P-51 ride, the pilot was also using CA. They are more compatible with headphones and hats than over-ear headsets, and probably hairstyles too but I can’t speak to that from experience. And nobody ever asks to borrow your headset when it’s in-ear. I would recommend trying one in case it does the trick for her.

My wife didn’t like my airplane, so I got a new one.

To the OP: I mostly fly with Clarity Aloft including in loud planes. When I got a P-51 ride, the pilot was also using CA. They are more compatible with headphones and hats than over-ear headsets, and probably hairstyles too but I can’t speak to that from experience. And nobody ever asks to borrow your headset when it’s in-ear. I would recommend trying one in case it does the trick for her.
Wife or airplane?

If anybody has any recommendations within a reasonable distance for a 172 from Seattle I would love to hear them. Google is coming up short.
Speaking of the Seattle area…. Anyone heard from Tom and Bob lately? @bobmrg @Tom-D

My .02$: try the Bose A20 again. Pull the cups down from the headband and reposition the cups over her ears. It has no clamping force and is by far and away an outstanding unit.
Last week, I accidentally (stupid) broke one of the plugs on my A20. Broke it off.
Called Bose, they looked it up, no issues, sent me a return shipping for free and they will replace the entire cord. Free.

Clarity Aloft seems to be really good for the SO's. I am on the fence now about pulling the trigger on it.

As I mentioned earlier I have the Clarity Aloft. I have been using them for a number of years and find them to be quieter than any other headset I've tried including passive and ANR headsets. They work well once you figure out the best size earbud to use and learn how to properly insert them.

They offer a 30 day trial and easy return. My small interactions with the company proved to me their customer focus and excellent service.

Back