Need Feedback on Throttle Handle

phillip K camarda

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
UH1CW2
I am designing an upgrade for Piper throttle handles. I just want to know what switch looks better before I complete the design and start making parts. This is a 50 Dollar upgrade. I haven't decided on the switch function (Remote Ident, GPS Ent, Freq Flip, Go Around, Auto P Disconnect, ect...) Switch is MOMENTARY. I just want to know what switch looks better in the handle. (Silver/Red, Black/Red or Black).

Attachments

• PA28 Throotle Sw LB 3.jpg
    PA28 Throotle Sw LB 3.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 75
  • PA28 Throttle Sw LR 2.jpg
    PA28 Throttle Sw LR 2.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 74
  • PA28 Throttle Sw SR 2.jpg
    PA28 Throttle Sw SR 2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I'm kind of partial to #1, but #2 is okay too. #3 is right out!

I know you're not really looking for advice on function, but to me the only practical use for a button on the throttle is for some use where you're going to press it while your hand is actually on the throttle - and that pretty much means the go-around button. For all the other functions, I'd have to move my hand TO the throttle from wherever it is, so I might as well move it to the panel, or wherever the main button for that function is.

Plus, if you're coming from something with a go-around button, but you get in this one and go-around, pressing the button, you're going to be pretty surprised when the frequency flip-flops. Or the autopilot disconnect.

Yeah, on second thought, having that button be anything other than a go-around button is probably not a good idea.

What’s a go-around button? Is it connected to a Garmin GPS? Older models?

What’s a go-around button? Is it connected to a Garmin GPS? Older models?

A go-around button (also commonly called a TOGA button for Takeoff/Go-around) typically commands the flight director to establish a nose-up pitch attitude of some set amount, which in turn tells the autopilot to climb if it's on. It may or may not do several other functions depending on how they're connected. They are ubiquitous in turbine equipment, but have been filtering down to piston singles recently.

The flight directors in the Cherokees I fly never seem to work properly. Nor does the AC, for that matter.

On a more serious note, if you use the autopilot while doing a go-around in a PA-28, I'm thinking I don't want to ride with you.

The flight directors in the Cherokees I fly never seem to work properly. Nor does the AC, for that matter.

On a more serious note, if you use the autopilot while doing a go-around in a PA-28, I'm thinking I don't want to ride with you.

How about a missed approach in IMC?

Flight directors, autopilots and TOGA buttons are very valuable workload reducers if you use them right. Depending on installation, it will transition the airplane from flying the glideslope to climbing straight ahead at a reasonable pitch angle. All you need to do is push the throttle up and clean the plane up.

And the OP didn't specify PA-28s. PA-32s have the same throttle handle as far as I remember. PA-46 is pretty similar too. The twins are different of course because you have to fit two of them in your hand.

I've definitely flown a Saratoga with a flight director. I can't remember if it had a TOGA button though. The piston PA-46 I fly regularly does.

The point I was trying to make about the button location, though, is that I've flown a lot of airplanes with a lot of weird buttons in weird places. But on any airplane I've flown where there's a button on the throttle handle, it's a TOGA button. Putting a button there with a different function is just tempting negative habit transfer to occur. Maybe not for any specific pilot, depending on their experience, but overall that's a bad thing. Get down to minimums, have to go missed, press what is usually the TOGA button and the radios flip-flop, and the autopilot keeps you descending. Huh? Confusion would result, which is a really bad thing at minimums in IMC.

Last edited:
I’d keep flip-flop, ident, and similar switches off the stick/yoke or throttle. They aren’t functions that need to be done immediately. Other than PTT, what comms-related functions require extra wiring and connections - potential failure points?

Save the HOTAS switches for essential functions. It’s blasphemy, but I disagree with many of my fellow RV pilots. My -8A came with flaps, boost pump, and starter switches on the stick grip, as well as on the panel. Just extra switches in the way on the grip, plus needless redundancy. Oh, and annunciators for the boost pump, landing lights and starter. Because you can’t tell from the position of the toggle switches?

I know you're not really looking for advice on function, but to me the only practical use for a button on the throttle is for some use where you're going to press it while your hand is actually on the throttle...

I’d keep flip-flop, ident, and similar switches off the stick/yoke or throttle. They aren’t functions that need to be done immediately. Other than PTT, what comms-related functions require extra wiring and connections - potential failure points?

These, a million times over! I have PTT and starter* on my throttle, and would have TOGA there if I had anything with a TOGA mode. Stick grip has an event marker for a data recorder and I'd have a paddle switch below the grip if I had an autopilot. Flaps, flip-flop, ident, pump, etc. on the stick or throttle are roughly the same priority as the pizza slicer and AOPA renewal switches.

Oh, and annunciators for the boost pump, landing lights and starter. Because you can’t tell from the position of the toggle switches?
Shots fired! I can't tell if my starter solenoid is engaging under load (during aerobatics) by looking at the switch, and my boost pump switch is outside my normal scan in the pattern, so I have annunciators for both. I'd give up the boost pump light if I needed the light for something else, since I can usually hear the pump anyway.
ETA: Yes, I realize I'd probably hear the starter if it engaged too :eek:

*The starter switch is on the throttle so I don't have to hold the stick with my knees while I hit a switch with one hand and manage throttle/mixture with the other.

Nauga,

who says "clackakakakakakakakaka"

Last edited:
How about a missed approach in IMC?

Flight directors, autopilots and TOGA buttons are very valuable workload reducers if you use them right. Depending on installation, it will transition the airplane from flying the glideslope to climbing straight ahead at a reasonable pitch angle. All you need to do is push the throttle up and clean the plane up.

Cherokee comment was humor. I do get missed approach. In my head "go around" is when you're short final and hand flying the landing, rather than going missed. Maybe somebody's doing it, but I don't want to ride with someone flying any piper single using the AP to take them right down to the runway.

Back