Need Another AR-15

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I've got a tack-driving, match quality AR-15 built by my friend at LMT. I love the rifle, and don't want to mess with it.

So I'm looking for a more affordable, but decent quality AR platform that I can play around with and customize - different fore-ends, stocks, interchange uppers between a carbine and a rifle, etc. I would consider any caliber.

I went to the NRA annual meeting last April, and the number of companies making AR derivatives is mind blowing, so I'll as this group for some realistic recommendations.

Windham weaponry....it is the same people as bushmaster. Walmart carries them around 800 bucks. I love mine!

Pretty much whatever place you can find the cheapest for. Get a 5.56 bbl though. Opens up your surplus ammo options. Don't shoot 556 out of a 223 bbl.....might be in for a nasty surprise. Plus there are lots of good defense rounds avail. 1/9 twist is middle of the road and will handle your plinker/Shtf needs.

My last build was a Stag lower, DPMS kit and had White Oak build me a free floating upper in 6.8 spc. You want a tack driver? White oak builds em. But it's a deer rifle and at a buck a round to shoot, a range day gets pretty expensive.

I'm looking at the Ruger AR556. Nice price for a basic AR package. Then start customizing as time and budget allow.

I agree with the recommendation that you get one chambered for 5.56mm, rather than .223 Rem for the same reason given.

Have fun. :yes:

Just get a piston operated system in ANY other caliber than 5.56 and you'll be fine.

Just buy a 'panic' one off someone trying to pay down xmas bills. Not like any of the panic buyers could afford to shoot them after what they paid.

Just get a piston operated system in ANY other caliber than 5.56 and you'll be fine.

I had an ADDAX GPU and it was a great shooting gun. But, I had serious heat problems with the GPUs and had to wear a glove in my left hand.

556 is fine. I don't think he needs to get off into the specialty calibers. Ammo is cheap and available, lots of defense options and easy to off load if he doesn't want it anymore.

The river is fine if you want to keep it stock. But stepping up to better components leaves you very limited. Going with a traditional AR platform gives you almost too much flexibility in that everyone makes something high speed low drag for ARs these days.

I would keep an eye on Armslist in WI. Just after Christmas is a great time to buy. I'd look to a 16" 'M-4' profile, flatop, flip up sights only. Go fly your plane to meet the seller in WI, after some questions are asked.

Buy a milling machine and carve out a lower yourself. Lots of fun.

No need....80% lowers and a jig for under $100 are available all day and twice in Sunday!!

Sorry can't help...I live the NY where comrade Cuomo has banned AR's.

Could always just go LWRC and stop screwing around. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windham weaponry....it is the same people as bushmaster. Walmart carries them around 800 bucks. I love mine!

See, coming from California, the idea of buying an AR-15 clone at Walmart just blows my mind. Walmarts here barely sell BB guns. Well, that and the $800 price tag. I bought a Colt AR-15 back in 1992 or so (totally stock, there where no modded ARs then), whenever the California "assault weapons" ban was to kick in and I paid $1600 for it.

I have no idea what something similar sells for in California now. There are hardly any gun stores left and I never seem to get into one. I need to buy new ammo to have around the house, but I never seem to get any because it seems every time I go in, the stores are all out. :dunno:

See, coming from California, the idea of buying an AR-15 clone at Walmart just blows my mind. Walmarts here barely sell BB guns. Well, that and the $800 price tag. I bought a Colt AR-15 back in 1992 or so (totally stock, there where no modded ARs then), whenever the California "assault weapons" ban was to kick in and I paid $1600 for it.

I have no idea what something similar sells for in California now. There are hardly any gun stores left and I never seem to get into one. I need to buy new ammo to have around the house, but I never seem to get any because it seems every time I go in, the stores are all out. :dunno:

You should move back to the U.S. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the point of having an AR-15 that won't accept an auto seer and selective fire cam?:dunno: Without being able to go rock and roll, I'd rather have a good .308.

What is the point of having an AR-15 that won't accept an auto seer and selective fire cam?:dunno: Without being able to go rock and roll, I'd rather have a good .308.

You can get a hundred varieties of AR style rifles in .308. Any of them can easily be modified for full auto, there are a million links that go into the process. The question is why? I would never be caught with a rifle that could cause me to lose my right to keep arms.

You can get a hundred varieties of AR style rifles in .308. Any of them can easily be modified for full auto, there are a million links that go into the process. The question is why? I would never be caught with a rifle that could cause me to lose my right to keep arms.
:rofl: If you can lose your right to keep arms it isn't a right.:rofl:

I would keep an eye on Armslist in WI. Just after Christmas is a great time to buy. I'd look to a 16" 'M-4' profile, flatop, flip up sights only. Go fly your plane to meet the seller in WI, after some questions are asked.

I never heard of that site, but after looking at it, it makes me a little nervous.

Ive got Smith and Wesson ARs in 22 and 556. Love shooting them. If you get the 22 just make sure to feed it high vel and you'll be fine.

If I need a weapon that rock and rolls, we're way past the point where the law will matter. An auto seer takes 8 seconds to drop into a Colt AR-15 that already has the spring kit, and as long as the seer isn't in the receiver, there is nothing illegal about it.

If I don't need to rock-n-roll, why would I want an AR?:dunno: It's not a rifle I really like as a sniper rifle.

Last edited:
If I need a weapon that rock and rolls, we're way past the point where the law will matter. An auto seer takes 8 seconds to drop into a Colt AR-15 that already has the spring kit, and as long as the seer isn't in the receiver, there is nothing illegal about it.

Or you can just incorporate and buy anything you want. Corporations can own anything, even post '65 manufacture stuff, no wait, no muss, no fuss.

Or you can just incorporate and buy anything you want. Corporations can own anything, even post '65 manufacture stuff, no wait, no muss, no fuss.

If I have a R-n-R weapon, it will not be known until I lay down fire with it.

If I have a R-n-R weapon, it will not be known until I lay down fire with it.

Good point. Although I am with you on the sniper rifle. Guys with full auto just show themselves to anyone hunkered down, waiting. A decent semi-auto can shoot faster than 99% of those squeezing the trigger, full auto is just a waste of ammo in the hands of most people.

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport. I love it, it's accurate and haven't a single issue even with well over 1500 rounds through it. And at $649 you can't beat the price.

Good point. Although I am with you on the sniper rifle. Guys with full auto just show themselves to anyone hunkered down, waiting. A decent semi-auto can shoot faster than 99% of those squeezing the trigger, full auto is just a waste of ammo in the hands of most people.

Does the new military one even have full auto, or are they all selective fire 3 round burst or semi auto? Reality is if you need a machine gun, an AR is a poor weapon to have. You want something belt fed with either water cooling or exchangeable barrels. ARs and AKs are okay for people working in groups, but if you're defending a homestead in a real survival situation, they are poor weapons unless you have the grenade launcher on it and a big box of grenades to feed it.

You play COD. Remember, in real life, there is no quick scope. Also, campers suck ass. ;)

Does the new military one even have full auto, or are they all selective fire 3 round burst or semi auto? Reality is if you need a machine gun, an AR is a poor weapon to have. You want something belt fed with either water cooling or exchangeable barrels. ARs and AKs are okay for people working in groups, but if you're defending a homestead in a real survival situation, they are poor weapons unless you have the grenade launcher on it and a big box of grenades to feed it.

You play COD too. ;)

Last I heard, they are still available, just not to everyone. 3 shot burst is the most effective in most situations, and in the average persons hands. Air cooled barrels have come a long way, and the mini-gun is king when it comes to defending a base. Well, rockets would be best, but best within reason would be the mini gun. I am not a fan of ar's, but love ak's. Cheap, never fail, and anyone who says they aren't accurate can't shoot. A cheap AK I keep for hog extermination has hundreds of hogs down in one shot each. An excellent cheap beater gun that needs no care.

Another vote for Windham. They make very good AR clones, a buddy of mine picked up one from a local gun store for a tad under $800 and it's a tack driver. I bought a Bushmaster several years ago and swapped out the fixed carry handle upper with a flat top upper and put a free float handguard tube on the front and it's now a tack driver too even with the original factory 9:1 barrel. I also put a Rock River 2 stage trigger in it which helped my ability to shoot it more accurately a lot. That was the best upgrade for the money I put on the rifle.

Yeaaaaaa.....h, sure, lost... :rolleyes:

Ok, I googled it. I'm guessing you mean Call Of Duty? Lol, I've got an old Atari put up somewhere, do they make one for it? My brother is the gamer, I haven't touched one made after the Super Nintendo.

I would look online and buy the parts to build your own. The only part considered a firearm is the lower. The rest you can get locally in Wisconsin- Bravo company makes some great BCG's, while Krieger is an easy drive away, and they arguably make some of the best barrels. A big vice, some pin drivers, and perhaps a torque wrench and barrel wrench are all you'd need to make your own. Half the stuff you can also use on an airplane, and it's a lot of fun to build one- they're all modular. It does not take any gunsmithing skills, and can easily be done in an evening or two.

Back