Need advice from CFI's on how to deal with a fearful student

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Salty, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Hawker800

Hawker800 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Daniel
    I'll even send him a free new copy.

2. LongRoadBob

LongRoadBob Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jacker
    Good luck!

Just something about how you described him, I admire the guy for pushing so hard even with the fear. There is SOMETHING there with this person, I hope it works out. He really seems to want to do it. What is your take on him? Gut feeling? Is his desire for this going to make him accept that there IS turbulence and all of the other stuff?

I like this story!

denverpilot likes this.
  3. Salty

Salty Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    He has a strong desire, but being that I don't yet understand the basis for his fear, I can't really say more yet.

Unfortunately for him, I think he's convinced himself that I'm a "safe" way for him to get over this. I think that he believes I won't push him too hard, where a real instructor might (look at what some instructors on this thread have said, for example, I think he'd have quit after one flight with some of them)

That's where I plan on having a hard discussion with him. I'm ok with going slow with him, but I think it's better to figure out what's going on before we go further.

LongRoadBob likes this.
  4. LongRoadBob

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jacker
    You know my limited experience, I'm just a student, but it seems to me you are putting in the time and the thought and you should trust your instincts. I do have experience as a student and I think you have insight into his mindset. We students I think have a tendency to make mountains out of moelehills and miss important points. He's just starting, or trying to start. I think you will figure out what he needs or else maybe he wasn't meant to fly. One or the other will be the outcome but you seem to me to be doing all you can to help.

5. pepsi

pepsi Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    pepsi
    Ok, he has to be honest and ask to himself the good questions, does he want to be a pilot or does he love the idea to be a pilot ? I had a lot of student that was scared to death and only one get his cpl.
    I let you imagine what will happen when you have to teach him spin, or power on stall ... seriously you have to be honest with him too, flying it is not for him, period.

6. Craig

Craig Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Craig
    Salty: Something you might consider with him.... Early morning, pre-sunrise flight to somewhere close for breakfast. Takeoff just before first light, so the horizon is either not visible or is indistinct. Have him hands on, following all control movements, from takeoff to landing. Get a leisurely breakfast, then do the same technique on the the flight home.

We did something very similar when people got rides in the SF-260 and wanted to try some acro, but were very scared of it. It was pretty cool to see the airplane roll back onto the ramp and the passengers have that sh** eatin grin on their face.

7. 1600vw

1600vw Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    H.A.S.
    When I started flying it scared the bageezsers out of me. I had my cfi tell me I could put my hands on my lap, he was worried I was messing with the throttle that was off to my side. I told him I had a death grip on the seat and was not letting go. On the way to training in the car, it was all I could do not to turn around and go home, I was that scared. After a few weeks training my cfi wanted to turn me loose to solo. I told him no I was not ready for I was still scared. It took a few more days of flying before I started to settle down. If you would have seen me in this time you would have said what you did above. Flying is not for this person. But I wanted to fly. My fear was not holding me back I was not letting it, but I still had this fear. Don't tell someone they can not fly because of fear. We all have fear. Explain to this person it is how you handle this fear or over come it. The deal breaker for a newbie pilot IMHO is lack of skill. That is hard to over come and some can not. They either have the skills to fly or they do not. Not everyone can be taught these skills. But fear can be managed.

WannFly and LongRoadBob like this.
  8. LongRoadBob

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jacker
    Salty, any new developments there? Has he soured on it, or still asking to go for more?

9. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
  10. Salty

Salty Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    His vacation and my unplanned trip have delayed us. Will probably meet with him next weekend.

LongRoadBob likes this.
  11. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    One of the advantages of Young Eagles, at least our chapter.
    1. only fly on calm or light winds
    2. evening before, all the kids and any interested parents, attend a 2hr ground school (we're unique AFAIK)
    3. Our Acro/CFII sits right seat and treats it like an intro flight, she talks the kid thru takeoff, the rest of the flight but she does the landing
    4. For the rest of us, we do TO but if they want, the kid does the rest of the flight. I talk them thru turns, climbs and descents. And make them help with the checklist.

I've had one who freaked. We're rolling down the runway for takeoff and he decides he doesn't want to go. Pull power, slow down enough to get on the brakes, turn off midway down the runway. Unfortunately Dad was in back, and he wanted to go fly. Got him hushed up, and the kid & I just sat in the plane on the ramp chatting, about flying, cars, skiing. My preflight always emphasizes this is for you and should be fun, and if you're not having fun, tell me and we'll come home. After a bit (about 10-15 min) he decided he wants to try again.

Non-stop grins.

I think he got his glider cert last year.

LongRoadBob and mscard88 like this.