Need Advice Crossing Rocky Mountains in Winter

Shawn,
Looks like the flight path is passing right through Mojave Restricted area can you please explain how you navigated through it?

Also, what altitude did you fly from ABQ to LV?

Thanks

Over ABQ, I don't think we were over 8000'. There is a huge V in the mountain ridge that is hard to make out by looking that sectional and you will go smack dab over ABQ airport. The ABQ controllers were some of the nicest in the country my trip from FL to CA.

From ABQ to KVGT, I don't think we ever needed to go above 10,000' ever as I was conscious of that since we did not have oxygen. I was initially gonna fly OVER the Grand Canyon SFRA for some sight seeing, but had to abort due to a cloud layer at 12,000' so we went to the south which still had amazing views...plus ATC let is cut the corner and go direct through the SFRA since it was a pretty quiet and crappy day with not a lot of recreation flyers out.

Over Tehachapi Pass, it is referred to as "shooting the gap" even with ATC between R2505 and R2524. It looks messy, but those are the only two R areas that come into play. You are VFR so don't worry about the MOA's. ATC will let ya know if you should avoid the areas of you are on FF. The few times I have been through there, R2505 has been cold anyhow and we blazed right though. It will take being a "Child of the Magenta Line" to fly. It is an absolute breeze with Foreflight and Stratus, but can also be done with a 430 and R areas activated on the map....or even just a handheld of you plot it out ahead of time.

It can be done visually...see link below...but be sure you are dead on!

http://skyvector.com/?ll=35.6488155...5.66994124472616,-117.36181640239369:A.K2.L72

For a cross country trek I can not recommend enough the Foreflight/Stratus II combo. It saved my butt so may times with real time weather, airports, facilities, conditions, and flight planning. I can say we rarely landed at the airport we were planning on when taking off of the next leg. Foreflight gave me a tremendous amount of flexibility and the ability to adapt and react to conditions as we went.

I am outta Santa Cruz...would be happy to meet up for lunch or dinner to show ya what I learned from my cross country trip and route.

Last edited:
Sam,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have made such arrangements that wouldn't have to worry about work and home if I end up staying somewhere longer. Plane can get home when it is the right time.

Great! This will be a terrific adventure.

Why?

Check the airports altitudes along I-40

and compare with the I-80.

You will find you will be on the high country of I-40 from eastern N.M. To the Ca. boarder I-80. From Eastern Wy, to Salt Lake then it is under 4k from there to So-Cal.

Entirely dependent on the route. I've done ABQ to MHV and never needed to go over 10.5. Out of ABQ it's 8500 until just south of Grant KGNT then up to 10.5 until the ZUN VOR. From there it's down hill 8500 then 6500. What hills are between ZUN and the AZ/CAL border are easy to fly around. Or go over at 10.5.

There's lots more people and landing options to the south.

Back