Need ADS-B "in" only for Garmin 530w

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
We have already upgraded our transponder to G330-ES for our ADS-B out. For ADS-B in we have used a Stratus with foreflight.
Is there an easy way to get the traffic / weather to show on a G530w? I just need the 'IN" part of the info to get onto the G530w screen. The GDL-88 is $4k. Don't want another expensive solution that includes "out". I read mention of something from Navworks, but obviously that can't be found these days.

We have already upgraded our transponder to G330-ES for our ADS-B out. For ADS-B in we have used a Stratus with foreflight.
Is there an easy way to get the traffic / weather to show on a G530w? I just need the 'IN" part of the info to get onto the G530w screen. The GDL-88 is $4k. Don't want another expensive solution that includes "out". I read mention of something from Navworks, but obviously that can't be found these days.

Probably but why would you want to, it’s a pretty lousy display and setup for the ADSB info display...

I use it at work. Low res, few colors, and awkward menuing... no nexrad in Track up view...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no "cheap" way to get ADS-B In onto a 530W. Best you can do is to sell the 330ES and install one of Garmin's (expensive) in/out solutions.

Why is the Stratus/Foreflight combo not good enough any more?

Why? Just why? An iPad with sky radar is a much better solution. You get both redudundant AHARs and iPad flight planner and a larger display with way better resolution.

Full disclosure: I just installed a 330ES with my 530W. It’s nice having traffic on the screen....but I want more resolution than that. I have the “in” on the iPad. Can’t imagine all that info on a tiny 530 screen.

Last edited:
I’ve hooked up a couple 345s to 430/530 and the result is very coarse and cluttered. It’s one of those things that is possible, but honestly better turned off.

Now on an IFD or a GTN, that’s a different ballgame entirely.

The 430 is pretty limited for traffic display and WX graphics. I put in an NGT9000 which has a better screen than the 430 and can export WX and
traffic to a bigger nicer EFB screen. The EFB screen is infinitely better than the 430 screen.

My plane has a 430W and I added GTX-345 for ADSB In/Out. I really like have FIS-B weather & traffic displayed on the 430W. Yes it only displays the closes 8 targets, but that's plenty. I fly with and iPad using ForeFlight tethered to the GTX-345.

Personal view: It's great to have a panel powered device like a 430W/530W for a 100% certified ADS-B solution that the iPad augments. If the iPad runs out of power or you don't want to hassle with power cables... the GNS gear is sufficient.

My plane has a 430W and I added GTX-345 for ADSB In/Out. I really like have FIS-B weather & traffic displayed on the 430W. Yes it only displays the closes 8 targets, but that's plenty. I fly with and iPad using ForeFlight tethered to the GTX-345.

Personal view: It's great to have a panel powered device like a 430W/530W for a 100% certified ADS-B solution that the iPad augments. If the iPad runs out of power or you don't want to hassle with power cables... the GNS gear is sufficient.

Really enjoy having it all in the GTN (via GTX345) with no external wires and no need for portable display. IMHO its a lot more reliable when pulling up textual weather data where the ipad Bluetooth isn't great. (my software is about three years old so maybe that would make a difference).

upload_2018-9-20_7-27-28.png

Really enjoy having it all in the GTN (via GTX345) with no external wires and no need for portable display. IMHO its a lot more reliable when pulling up textual weather data where the ipad Bluetooth isn't great. (my software is about three years old so maybe that would make a difference).

View attachment 67332
Look how terrific that is! I'd put a GTN-650 when time comes to replace the 430W. Fantastic seeing the FIS-B age report on the screen. Congrats Brian on a fantastic set-up.

My 330 es shows traffic on the 530 but no weather,I’m still using the foreflight stratus for my weather.

My 330 es shows traffic on the 530 but no weather,I’m still using the foreflight stratus for my weather.

Your 330ES is picking up TIS-B traffic on 1030 MHz, not ADS-R (traffic) or FIS-B (wx).

Yes, but it blocks your view of traffic at 2 o'clock......

Hmm.... I think at that scale any traffic underneath that box is not close enough to be a threat. Of course then again,..... they could be in the same state.

Back