Need a New Desktop

Fallsrider

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fallsrider
My wife and I have always bought Dell desktops and have been very happy with them, until the last one. It wasn't near as fast out of the box as previous models. We probably should have sent it back at the beginning, but didn't. Well, as always, over time, it has gotten even slower. To the point it is very annoying.

Let me say up front, iMacs are out. I don't have anything against the Apple system, it is just that they are much more expensive, and I don't want to learn a different system at this point in my life. And our special needs son knows his way around these Windows desktops, and it would confuse him quite a bit if we suddenly switched.

Having said that, are Dell computers still good systems for basic home use? We do email, browse the internet, keep up finances on software, and things like that. We don't do video editing, gaming, etc. Or are there better alternatives? I don't want to get into building a system. I want something ready to roll out of the box. Thanks!

As I am (re-) learning, RAM and chip set seems to be the key to speed even for basic users. Intel i5 and 8GB RAM is wha'ts on my 2-yr old business-class laptop. Our home laptop is an I5 w/4GB RAM (maxed out) and it's barely functioning. When we replace it here shortly, we're probably going to the current generation i7 with 16GB RAM expandable to 32 in hopes of getting ten years out of it, like we have our current one.

As I am (re-) learning, RAM and chip set seems to be the key to speed even for basic users. Intel i5 and 8GB RAM is wha'ts on my 2-yr old business-class laptop. Our home laptop is an I5 w/4GB RAM (maxed out) and it's barely functioning. When we replace it here shortly, we're probably going to the current generation i7 with 16GB RAM expandable to 32 in hopes of getting ten years out of it, like we have our current one.
That is always the balancing act....getting as much computer as we can afford to get the most longevity out of it, but not spending more than we really need to.

I bought a new Dell hybrid drive desktop about two years ago, and did something entirely new for me. I used Best Buy and bought the Geek Squad/Web Root yearly service, and I have never regretted it. So many issues are software related and so many of them are due to programs that have nothing to do with Dell or with Best Buy (and some have more to do with me screwing something up) but the service has always rescued me and restored things back to normal.

I've been a loyal Dell customer since Gateway went out of business a long time ago, but like lots of loyalties that be more out of habit that it is out of product satisfaction. I'm not an expert but I can do a lot of my own hardware and software fixes. But I have also found that an easily accessible repair service is a useful way to reduce frustration and improve function.

I forgot all about Gateway. We used to be loyal Gateway customers, as well, and always enjoyed those computers.

What about building your own?

I'm considering one of the Intel NUC line. Mini cube form factor so it doesn't take up much room on the desktop, separate power supply so it's quiet. Lots of ports. Pretty reasonable $.

What about building your own?
I think it would take more time to educate myself to actually be able to do that than it is worth to me. I have always liked out of the box systems that are ready to go.

Not sure of your usage but getting a fast graphics card can have a lot to do with final performance. This is probably one area where the name brands cheap out on because many people don't know any better.

Being careful about the configurations is better than just about anything else. Dell claims support, but using it is immensely frustrating.

These days a reasonable cpu configuration, SSD enough for at least the basic installation, and a reasonable amount of RAM will go further than just about everything else.
Graphics cards are a concern if you're gaming or doing 3D stuff, but most won't notice much difference.

And our special needs son knows his way around these Windows desktops, and it would confuse him quite a bit if we suddenly switched.

Unless he is already familiar with Win10, you may consider finding some way to upgrade your hardware without changing your OS. The UI differences between Win7/8 and Win10, beyond the basic desktop function, are significant.

Dell definitely has bloatware on their machines. But I can tell you from experience it is possible to order machines from Dell with almost nothing besides Windows installed. My latest work desktop came from Dell 2 months ago and it had almost nothing besides Windows on it when it came out of the box. This was a machine our IT consultant ordered right off the website. I have no idea what options they ticked to get it show up that way, I just know that's how it showed up.

What budget are we talking here? There's a difference between the $500 special and a $1000 box.

I find the Dell XPS desktops tolerable. I used the prior version of this (links to Dell Outlet):

https://tinyurl.com/smmtrug

as my daily driver for a bit before I made time to build its replacement.

My wife and I have always bought Dell desktops and have been very happy with them, until the last one. It wasn't near as fast out of the box as previous models. We probably should have sent it back at the beginning, but didn't. Well, as always, over time, it has gotten even slower. To the point it is very annoying.

Let me say up front, iMacs are out. I don't have anything against the Apple system, it is just that they are much more expensive, and I don't want to learn a different system at this point in my life. And our special needs son knows his way around these Windows desktops, and it would confuse him quite a bit if we suddenly switched.

Having said that, are Dell computers still good systems for basic home use? We do email, browse the internet, keep up finances on software, and things like that. We don't do video editing, gaming, etc. Or are there better alternatives? I don't want to get into building a system. I want something ready to roll out of the box. Thanks!

For what you are describing, you may not need to spend the money on a new desktop. Look on your old computer for the "service tag" and post it so we can see the specs of your old computer.

https://www.dell.com/support/conten...ort-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag/desktops

If you’ve got a microcenter, check out their powerspec line. No bloatware, decent brand (Intel SSD, Asrock mobo) core components, and hundreds less than I could build it myself with the same pieces.

Any particular reason you're wanting a desktop computer? For the type of stuff you're doing, probably almost any laptop will work. They're pretty cheap these days. Plus, using the laptop screen would give you a second monitor.

What budget are we talking here? There's a difference between the $500 special and a $1000 box.

I find the Dell XPS desktops tolerable. I used the prior version of this (links to Dell Outlet):

https://tinyurl.com/smmtrug

as my daily driver for a bit before I made time to build its replacement.
$500 would be great. But we would be willing to spend a little more to get something that will be much faster and last a few years.

But the one in your link is more than we would spend. It definitely needs to stay down below a grand.

Last edited:
Any particular reason you're wanting a desktop computer? For the type of stuff you're doing, probably almost any laptop will work. They're pretty cheap these days. Plus, using the laptop screen would give you a second monitor.
Yes, we already have a laptop that we do not allow our son to access. Being special needs, he can be a little rough on a computer. For example, we do not allow him to use our desktop keyboard. He sometimes thinks it's fun to pound the keys. He would simply try to carry the laptop to another room. At least with a desktop, he can do everything he wants to with the mouse and the screen. We use a corded mouse so he doesn't carry that away, too. Good question, though.

For what you are describing, you may not need to spend the money on a new desktop. Look on your old computer for the "service tag" and post it so we can see the specs of your old computer.

https://www.dell.com/support/conten...ort-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag/desktops
Sorry for the slow response. The last two or three days have been busy.

b04a2cd20fc2dc65bb0bb6df4ca56d31.jpg

Unless he is already familiar with Win10, you may consider finding some way to upgrade your hardware without changing your OS. The UI differences between Win7/8 and Win10, beyond the basic desktop function, are significant.
Our current desktop is a Win10 Home, so he's comfortable with it.

I'm going to recommend you buy a Mac Pro. It's made in the U.S. and the Donald says he opened my factory so we could build them and bring jobs back. I'm pretty sure we can get you into one you'll enjoy for $15-18K for a pretty good one, or I can get you a top-of-the-line model for $55K! And I promise you, your son won't be carrying this beast out of the room, although you can get optional wheels.

I know you said "no Mac's" but I have had 13 years of trouble free service out of my macbook pro. It's still as fast as the day I bought it. I get not wanting to learn a new OS but a Mac with Windows is still better than a Dell with windows. Might shop for a used one if you consider it.

But the one in your link is more than we would spend. It definitely needs to stay down below a grand.
When you're buying a PC, what you're really buying is time. The more you spend, the longer it can be expected to hold up and remain fast enough to be usable. Generally though, the more you spend, the better the value in terms of usable life. Meaning you can buy a $1200 box once and use it for X time or you can buy three $500 boxes to cover your needs over the same amount of time.

This is one of the reasons people love Macs so much. When my wife was using $500 PC laptops, she would need a new one about every 12 to 18 months. We bought her a $1200 Macbook air and it was 5 years before she needed a new one. Once she bought the new one, she sold her old one for $400. If you can get someone to pay you more than $50 for a 5 year old PC laptop I'll eat a bug.

I'm going to recommend you buy a Mac Pro. It's made in the U.S. and the Donald says he opened my factory so we could build them and bring jobs back. I'm pretty sure we can get you into one you'll enjoy for $15-18K for a pretty good one, or I can get you a top-of-the-line model for $55K! And I promise you, your son won't be carrying this beast out of the room, although you can get optional wheels.
I don't need to run the Pentagon.

$500 would be great. But we would be willing to spend a little more to get something that will be much faster and last a few years.

Okay. I'd probably go for something 'business class' then. These things never seem to die:

https://tinyurl.com/tbppxaa

or

https://tinyurl.com/uny8ex2

I'm a big fan of the micro chassis, but I have a bunch of these in my lab so I prefer to keep them tiny.

They go on special periodically. You can probably get it in the 700s if you keep an eye out.

With a May 2016 manufacturing date, you likely have a software problem. Backup your data and reinstall windows on an SSD.

Edit:
I looked up your service tag. Core i5-6400, decent ram, slow hard drive. The SSD will get you double the speed (perceived) for under $200 if you pay someone else to do it. Under a $100 if you DIY.

Last edited:
When you're buying a PC, what you're really buying is time....
I don't disagree with you at all. But not everybody can spend $1,200 or $1,500 on a new computer. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with a $500 to $700 computer.

I don't disagree with you at all. But not everybody can spend $1,200 or $1,500 on a new computer. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with a $500 to $700 computer.
I know exactly what you're talking about because I've been there myself. Just know that by going cheaper, you will end up spending more over the long term. Sometimes quite a bit more. Tools are the same way. Buy the one that costs twice as much once or the one that costs half as much three times.

With a May 2016 manufacturing date, you likely have a software problem. Backup your data and reinstall windows on an SSD.

Edit:
I looked up your service tag. Core i5-6400, decent ram, slow hard drive. The SSD will get you double the speed (perceived) for under $200 if you pay someone else to do it. Under a $100 if you DIY.
Thanks. I considered trying that. The computer did not come with a copy of Windows 10, though. I would have to purchase that, wouldn't I? I have an external hard drive to backup to. That's not a problem.

Edit: I just got a tip that Microsoft may give me a key code to download a copy if I call them and explain to them that I'm just swapping out a hard drive. I will have to see if that is the case or not.

Last edited:
Are you able to add more memory? Memory is the cheapest upgrade and you might get another year or two out of the machine. One system I have is “officially” limited to 8 GB. So what? I put another 8 GB and it works fine....I should point out it’s 2010 era system. Cost me less than $100 when a new system is 10x that.

Sorry for the slow response. The last two or three days have been busy.

b04a2cd20fc2dc65bb0bb6df4ca56d31.jpg

You don't need a new computer. For what you are looking to do, buying an SSD and reinstalling the OS will give you better performance than most $500 computers on the market right now.

Step 0: Backup your data

Step 1: Make a USB recovery disk (you will need a 16GB+ USB Drive, this one may be the dumbest design I have ever seen, but it's $4) :
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...recovery-media-for-your-dell-computer?lang=en

Step 2: Buy and install an SSD, (This is a good option for $40 you may want more space, but you can keep the hard disk that is in there for more storage):

Step 3: Install the OS from the recovery USB.

This will give you the fast response time you are looking for 10% of your budget.

I'm considering one of the Intel NUC line. Mini cube form factor so it doesn't take up much room on the desktop, separate power supply so it's quiet. Lots of ports. Pretty reasonable $.
Took Intel 10 years to develop a box to compete with the Mac Mini. (snide comment) Amazing (snide comment off)

Are you able to add more memory? Memory is the cheapest upgrade and you might get another year or two out of the machine. One system I have is “officially” limited to 8 GB. So what? I put another 8 GB and it works fine....I should point out it’s 2010 era system. Cost me less than $100 when a new system is 10x that.

A RAM upgrade would not be a terrible move down the road, but the bottleneck on this system is the Hard Drive. Windows 10 does not run particularly well on older magnetic storage. In my opinion, any Windows 10 system should be upgraded to an SSD before any other upgrades are considered.

Yep. They call them kits, but it's like snap in a board and you're done.
The NUC site also shows completely built systems. Looking at the plain board, very reminiscent of the Raspberry Pi.

Something for me to think about.

A RAM upgrade would not be a terrible move down the road, but the bottleneck on this system is the Hard Drive. Windows 10 does not run particularly well on older magnetic storage. In my opinion, any Windows 10 system should be upgraded to an SSD before any other upgrades are considered.

Again, something to think about.

Back