NDB Approach

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Just curious about, when was the last time you actually had to d a NDB approach?

1 time in Oct 2013 had to also do missed approach due to ceilings , before that, Sept 1999

Required to do one every 6 months for Air Force currency. Always in the sim, never in the actual airplane.

I was messing around with the Redbird tonight, decided to do an NDB, forgot how simplistic but a pain in the butt they are.

Just curious about, when was the last time you actually had to d a NDB approach?
The last time I had to fly the instrument approach into an airport where the NDB was the only approach available with my equipment. Not so rare if you're equipped /A ;)

Never "had to" because there are so many other options available. Last time I did one for training was April 2011. Below mins as well.

A few months ago, GPS didnt have the RNAV, only the NDB. Ofcourse flying a NDB with a GPS isn't quite the same thing.

Only in training,never had to shoot a true NDB.

Only in training,never had to shoot a true NDB.
Not even in training. For fun, a couple of times, about 10 years ago (NDB 4 @ PHN).

Disclaimer: my current plane doesn't even have an ADF. There are a few fields on this coast that still have working NDB approaches, but AFAIK all of them also have other approaches based either on LOC, VOR, or RNAV.

Flew one in 2001 as part of my SEL IA. Never done one since. Not even equipped now.

A few months ago, GPS didnt have the RNAV, only the NDB. Ofcourse flying a NDB with a GPS isn't quite the same thing.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Your GPS had a legal substitution for an ADF but wasn't legal RNAV? Which GPS? I thought to actually fly an NDB approach (lateral guidance on the FAC) required a real ADF? :dunno:

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Your GPS had a legal substitution for an ADF but wasn't legal RNAV? Which GPS? I thought to actually fly an NDB approach (lateral guidance on the FAC) required a real ADF? :dunno:

You might have an airport with only NDB available for a particular runway, so if the wind dictates it, you'll have to fly the "NDB" approach to that runway even if are /G (WAAS) with no ADF on board. It's not a real NDB approach, in the sense that the OP meant it, however.
Edit: This would be more likely outside the U.S. lower 48, since I think most (all?) of the latter have been converted to RNAV lately.

Last edited:
You might have an airport with only NDB available for a particular runway, so if the wind dictates it, you'll have to fly the "NDB" approach to that runway even if are /G (WAAS) with no ADF on board. It's not a real NDB approach, in the sense that the OP meant it, however.
Sure, if you absolutely HAVE to get in, then you do what you have to, down to and including flying the approach with a handheld GPS if necessary. Otherwise, you go somewhere else if you're not properly equipped. I was just curious what he meant by having the NDB but not the RNAV. (Not sure if I was even parsing the sentence correctly - would make more sense if the first "GPS" was an airport identifier.)

There are still a few left. Before I upgraded to GPS a couple of years ago, I occasionally would fly the NDB approach below on really windy days just to prove I was a real aviator. ;)

24494933f4bdede0f4c69d8216681772.jpg

Training requirement? Last year, with an IR trainee who had an ADF in the plane so we had to do some NDB approaches since it would be required on the practical test.

Operational requirement? I'm guessing 9 years ago, when I was going to Cambridge MD (KCGE, which still has only a "NDB or GPS" approach) for lunch and I hadn't yet done the GPS installation on my Tiger.

Operationally, it's been years and years. It used to be the only way to get into Georgetown (GTU) back before GPS replaced everything.

It sounded odd to me too, the way it was written, but I believe he was saying the approach database in his GPS didn't have the RNAV approach in it; only the NDB approach was able to be selected.

It sounded odd to me too, the way it was written, but I believe he was saying the approach database in his GPS didn't have the RNAV approach in it; only the NDB approach was able to be selected.
Ah! That makes sense now, thanks. I assume then that it was an "NDB or GPS" approach (overlay) and therefore legal to fly without a real ADF.

In 2005 for me. Had to fly the colored NDB route to start the NDB approach to Noatak, Alaska. I don't know if the NDB routes are there anymore.

"had to", or "my instructor made me do it"?
Same question.

I "have" flown a few in actual - one to minimums - during my instrument training more than 20 years ago. But even then it was a choice since there were other approaches available at the airports.

Just give me a good old "four course range"... and I get to tune in the local AM radio station and listen to the "hog report".

Just give me a good old "four course range"... and I get to tune in the local AM radio station and listen to the "hog report".
Four corse range... I have heard if that. Is that the same as A's & N's ?

lots of times up until we moved. At mcpherson kansas the ndb is on the field and the vor approach takes you far away is approaching from some directions. Much fewer miles covered by choosing the ndb.

lots of times up until we moved. At mcpherson kansas the ndb is on the field and the vor approach takes you far away is approaching from some directions. Much fewer miles covered by choosing the ndb.

not anymore...

That

Should have been clearer.

Back