NCAA football and pay for play

Sorry this will be disjointed.....

I can't speak first hand. The athletes put is a ton of work, and they get basically a free eduction which at any good school could be worth $80,000+ over the four years. That education is tax free so add maybe a couple of thousand per year on to that depending on the situation. Hourly, the "wage" probably does suck.

The schools rake in millions from athletes, not to mention the money alums dole out for game related events, apparel, junk, donations etc.

In my neck of the woods, NW football student athletes are trying to form a national union of college student athletes. I commend them.

Scholarships allow poor students to get an education whereby otherwise they might not. That is a good thing in my opinion.

But, not realizing that these athletes are by and large "employees" for lack of a better word is crazy. I would like to see the NCAA relax some of its rules and call a "duck a duck". Just my two cents.

If a flat rate stipend system is developed that allows athletes to cover the cost of some of the basics they can't cover due to not having time for a part time job, that wouldn't bother me.

It seems to me that the arguments made in this thread supporting paying college athletes (it's a full time job, they bring revenue to the school, etc) could also be applied to high school athletes as well. I'd be curious if the proponents for paying college athletes feel the same for high school athletes?

If a flat rate stipend system is developed that allows athletes to cover the cost of some of the basics they can't cover due to not having time for a part time job, that wouldn't bother me.

It seems to me that the arguments made in this thread supporting paying college athletes (it's a full time job, they bring revenue to the school, etc) could also be applied to high school athletes as well. I'd be curious if the proponents for paying college athletes feel the same for high school athletes?

If high schools are allowed to recruit across state lines and parents are willing to cater to it… fine. My high school was ranked 13th in the nation.

Not sure why the pay has to be equal. Jonny Manziel was worth far more than the guy on the bench. Make them employees of the college, forget the grades, they can attend class as part of their compensation package if they want to negotiate that.

Not sure why the pay has to be equal. Jonny Manziel was worth far more than the guy on the bench. Make them employees of the college, forget the grades, they can attend class as part of their compensation package if they want to negotiate that.

I don't see relative salary differences as a stumbling block. Better players get more just like pros. But - the deal is what about all the players that don't get paid at all, for sports that don't produce revenue?

Personally, I like title IX because my daughter got a full ride in sport which wouldn't be avail without help from the income from football and basketball income. But I can sure see a reason to pay those kids who bring in all the TV, and beer money getting a piece of the pie. That's the american way to me.

N35 - No class and pay based on talent? Why bring the schools into it at all then? Sounds like a minor league, not college athletics.

I don't see relative salary differences as a stumbling block. Better players get more just like pros. But - the deal is what about all the players that don't get paid at all, for sports that don't produce revenue?

Personally, I like title IX because my daughter got a full ride in sport which wouldn't be avail without help from the income from football and basketball income. But I can sure see a reason to pay those kids who bring in all the TV, and beer money getting a piece of the pie. That's the american way to me.

My wife is a collegiate hall of fame basketball player, ex WNBA player and my sister was a stand out softball player. Neither one has a kind word to say about the NCAA system. My wife has a degree that she didn't want (Mathematics) because the NCAA wouldn't let her change majors to engineering. I don't think it's up to Johnny Manziel to pay for the basketball team or softball team's players. The colleges need the players as much as the players need the degree. The sports programs are a selling point to get good students at the University. I would say the NCAA/College rules for athletes was a deterrent more than a positive for those not in revenue positive sports. It was for my sister at least. She quit and she loved softball. But, they wouldn't let her take the "hard" classes and wouldn't allow her to earn income…. it wasn't worth it. She's an Occupational Therapist now, just about to be a Dr. Wouldn't have been possible had she stayed on the softball team…. they wouldn't allow it… it would have interfered with her softball.

N35 - No class and pay based on talent? Why bring the schools into it at all then? Sounds like a minor league, not college athletics.

I agree.

Currently, it is the minor league. It's welfare for the NFL paid for by 19 year olds. Let's quit pretending otherwise. The NFL even has a Supreme Court decision protecting it's free minor league (See Maurice Clarett)

Colleges have the $$$, the fan base and the infrastructure already in place to host NFL minor league teams, if they make some cash off it, it sounds like a win/win to me.

I was the math tutor for the Mississippi State football team for a day or two. They're not there to get a degree. I quit after I heard "Can you just sign my name and say I was here" a dozen times… and MSU sucks at football.

Last edited:
My wife is a collegiate hall of fame basketball player, ex WNBA player and my sister was a stand out softball player. Neither one has a kind word to say about the NCAA system. My wife has a degree that she didn't want (Mathematics) because the NCAA wouldn't let her change majors to engineering. I don't think it's up to Johnny Manziel to pay for the basketball team or softball team's players. The colleges need the players as much as the players need the degree. The sports programs are a selling point to get good students at the University. I would say the NCAA/College rules for athletes was a deterrent more than a positive for those not in revenue positive sports. It was for my sister at least. She quit and she loved softball. But, they wouldn't let her take the "hard" classes and wouldn't allow her to earn income…. it wasn't worth it. She's an Occupational Therapist now, just about to be a Dr. Wouldn't have been possible had she stayed on the softball team…. they wouldn't allow it… it would have interfered with her softball.

Well, I don't want to cause a snit, but I don't get why your wife didn't apply to the school of eng when she was offered the scholarship, or go to a competing univ? My kid was accepted to the school of eng right from the start. We had some problems with U of IL, because they wanted to start her in chemistry, and then 'maybe' move her to eng in her soph year. We passed.

I'm darn sure no fan of the NCAA but they are in a pretty hard position. They have basically three bosses(parents, schools/admin, and revenue sources like TV, beer, etc), and all of them want something different. My kid hasn't produced more than a few bucks of revenue for gate receipts but the cost of her program has been thousands, plus taking a spot in the school of eng.

I actually have some larger philosophical problems with title IX, because it's based on a false financial model, where a small segment brings in the majority of the revenue, but the schools have to parcel it out to everyone non-rev. For this reason, I guess I can see the football and basketball kids getting a decent living wage in addition to their scholarship.

Once that happens, I'm afraid where it would lead. This seems like a Pandora's box of litigation, and I fear the only people who would make a decent living off it are the student-athlete agents, sports lawyers, and the NCAA brass. All people I really, really don't want to feed with my ticket and booster money.

<edited for clarity and grammar.>

Your out of your mind.

have you been a collegiate athlete? How can you speak on something you have no fight in?

I have. I was a DIII defensive tackle. Had one concussion and two knee surgeries to show for it. My daughter was a DI swimmer. We both played sports with no scholarships because, get this, of the love of the sport. And we each had student loans to pay off for years after college.

So your saying you support sweatshops? Because I basically worked 15-18hr hour days as an athlete with about 14 days off a year.

I'm saying your opinion is skewed because you haven't walked a mile in those shoes.

How can you justify making millions off of student athletes and offering them tuition and a small monthly stipend? That was hell. You try working 100hrs a week and getting 700$ a month.

Of course it was my problem wasn't it? Free education and all.... free my ass...

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. Why didn't you quit if it was so horrible? You could be asking "Would you like fries with that?" For all the student athletes coming in for a burger.

Yea, we had to hit the weight room off season. I never thought of it as work.

Maybe it's your attitude that you were owed more than you perceive you received that's the real problem.

I have. I was a DIII defensive tackle. Had one concussion and two knee surgeries to show for it. My daughter was a DI swimmer. We both played sports with no scholarships because, get this, of the love of the sport. And we each had student loans to pay off for years after college.

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. Why didn't you quit if it was so horrible? You could be asking "Would you like fries with that?" For all the student athletes coming in for a burger.

Yea, we had to hit the weight room off season. I never thought of it as work.

Maybe it's your attitude that you were owed more than you perceive you received that's the real problem.

No offense but DIII schools won't be considered in this arugment. We're talking the very best division.

Your division doesn't offer scholarships and boo hoo all you want, it wasn't your attitude that kept you from D1, it was your ability.

But back to the point. Division 1 athletics are huge money makers, the athletes who make that possible should be compensated beyond an education.

Wonder if some of these students might find more trouble given a little bankroll? Doesn't justify not paying people who produce.

No offense but DIII schools won't be considered in this arugment. We're talking the very best division.

Your division doesn't offer scholarships and boo hoo all you want, it wasn't your attitude that kept you from D1, it was your ability.

But back to the point. Division 1 athletics are huge money makers, the athletes who make that possible should be compensated beyond an education.

You keep harping on how D1 makes money but your ignoring the fact that the vast majority of sports could not exist at the collegiate level without the money that football and basketball bring in. There is no mythical pile of money that is sitting somewhere at the school, it's going to pay for all the other athletic department stuff.

Re: NCAA football and pay for playi

Well, I don't want to cause a snit, but I don't get why your wife didn't apply to the school of eng when she was offered the scholarship, or go to a competing univ? My kid was accepted to the school of eng right from the start. We had some problems with U of IL, because they wanted to start her in chemistry, and then 'maybe' move her to eng in her soph year. We passed.

I'm darn sure no fan of the NCAA but they are in a pretty hard position. They have basically three bosses(parents, schools/admin, and revenue sources like TV, beer, etc), and all of them want something different. My kid hasn't produced more than a few bucks of revenue for gate receipts but the cost of her program has been thousands, plus taking a spot in the school of eng.

I actually have some larger philosophical problems with title IX, because it's based on a false financial model, where a small segment brings in the majority of the revenue, but the schools have to parcel it out to everyone non-rev. For this reason, I guess I can see the football and basketball kids getting a decent living wage in addition to their scholarship.

Once that happens, I'm afraid where it would lead. This seems like a Pandora's box of litigation, and I fear the only people who would make a decent living off it are the student-athlete agents, sports lawyers, and the NCAA brass. All people I really, really don't want to feed with my ticket and booster money.

<edited for clarity and grammar.>

She was one of the most highly recruited players in the nation. She had offers from all over the country, you think a 17-18 year old with zero knowledge of engineering in that spot is worried about a major? She got on campus and learned what the engineering kids were doing and wanted to do that instead. NCAA said "sorry". The rule is there to keep kids from perpetually changing majors in order to stay in freshman level courses. I changed majors twice.

My sister ran into the same thing, she wisely just quit and focused on school.

You keep harping on how D1 makes money but your ignoring the fact that the vast majority of sports could not exist at the collegiate level without the money that football and basketball bring in. There is no mythical pile of money that is sitting somewhere at the school, it's going to pay for all the other athletic department stuff.

UT cleared 70 million last year.

The pile of money isn't mythical, it's very real.

I've said for at least 20 years that the NCAA should do one of two things:

a. Blow it wide open and pay the athletes.

or

b. Rein it in and require that all students playing for Mizzou graduate from a Missouri high school.

It seems that everything in between is a culture ripe for cheats. But, then again, America is a culture that adores cheats---as long as they don't get caught. Some famous cheats are even so bold as to have that sentiment as their motto. Tony LaRussa comes to mind. "it ain't cheating if you don't get caught" was well known to be his modus operandi.

Well, I don't want to cause a snit, but I don't get why your wife didn't apply to the school of eng when she was offered the scholarship, or go to a competing univ?

You realize that 70% of college students change their major at least once, right?

BTW...

...what happens when a Freshman has a career ending injury? Does he still have a scholarship? (I seriously don't know, I'm asking).

Also, to say that college athletes get a free education in exchange for their services is disingenuous. Slightly over half of college football players actually graduate.

I believe basketball graduation rates are worse yet but I can't put my finger on that stat right now. It appears that the worst in the nation is Arizona with 20% with UAB second with 25%

Someone earlier mentioned a college players' union. I think that's a great idea.

Last edited:
You realize that 70% of college students change their major at least once, right?

BTW...

...what happens when a Freshman has a career ending injury? Does he still have a scholarship? (I seriously don't know, I'm asking).

Also, to say that college athletes get a free education in exchange for their services is disingenuous. Slightly over half of college football players actually graduate.

I believe basketball graduation rates are worse yet but I can't put my finger on that stat right now. It appears that the worst in the nation is Arizona with 20% with UAB second with 25%

Someone earlier mentioned a college players' union. I think that's a great idea.

Yeah, I know that many kids change majors. Which is why we had counseling sessions with each incoming freshman where their options were laid out, the kids and the parents were given plenty of time and guidance on career, or in some cases non-career goals for undergrad education. Also it's not a cast in stone rule that an NCAA athlete can't change majors. Most of that decision comes from the dept head of the univ where the kid is enrolled. So - if there's a student athlete in drama, and they decide they want to go to eng school, they send in the application to the SCHOOL for a change of major, and most times than not it's the dept head of the eng school that will reject the change. If they get it approved there, it goes to financial at the school, and if it gets approved there, it goes to the NCAA which has to approve it as well. Most of them never get to the NCAA, but are rejected at the school, which makes sense because that's the group that is doling out the money for the student.

Now, when we talk about revenue athletes in college, all the rules are reversed. If a revenue athlete wants to change majors, it's never a problem. Heck, they can even apply to change schools and often times its granted, like a free-agency. Sometimes it's not but sometimes it is. Bart's familial situation was that these two women were in non-rev fields, and they wanted to get into a highly sought after school(eng), from a less sought after dept, and the school/NCAA said no.

As for the injury, that can go several ways. There is rarely a fixed answer. I can tell you that my kid had a serious injury in her freshman year, but she was able to come back for her soph year. The school honored it's scholarship(she was an honors level academic deans list in eng dept), and there was no interruption. However, there are plenty of stories of revenue athletes getting reduced scholarship amounts, and even being cutoff after the injury year.

As for the graduation rates, and pay this is one of the most pernicious problems with college revenue athletics. If I were running everything, the deal would be completely different. Students/parents would have to pay for the tuition, books, fees out of pocket, and when the kid made the semester, the scholarship would reimburse them for what they've spent on education and some modest living expenses. As it is now, the money changes hands during the semester, and if the student fails it's very rare that a school will try to claw back any of that money. But - that's just me, and I can see problems with that way as well, cause some kids won't have the money to spend on tuition and would need to get a short term loan until end of semester.

I've said for at least 20 years that the NCAA should do one of two things:

a. Blow it wide open and pay the athletes.

or

b. Rein it in and require that all students playing for Mizzou graduate from a Missouri high school.

What if Missouri doesn't have the major they want?

She was one of the most highly recruited players in the nation. She had offers from all over the country, you think a 17-18 year old with zero knowledge of engineering in that spot is worried about a major? She got on campus and learned what the engineering kids were doing and wanted to do that instead. NCAA said "sorry". The rule is there to keep kids from perpetually changing majors in order to stay in freshman level courses. I changed majors twice.

My sister ran into the same thing, she wisely just quit and focused on school.

The NCAA is a corrupt pathetic organization worthy of a RICO charge. They stick their nose where it doesn't belong (I.e. team names and mascots, like Chief Illiniwek) and insert themselves into academics as they did with your wife and sister.

The NCAA is a corrupt pathetic organization worthy of a RICO charge. They stick their nose where it doesn't belong (I.e. team names and mascots, like Chief Illiniwek) and insert themselves into academics as they did with your wife and sister.

Yep, it will take someone like Mark Cuban to fix it get rid of them .

Yea, I understand the difference between DI and DIII. Yet except for football and basketball, there are a lot more similarities than differences between among the different sports in the various divisions.

At the end of the day, football is about blocking and tackling. If it sucked that bad, I ask again, why didn't you quit? And what does difference does it make to you how much money the school makes off of your sport? What about the other sports that would lose funding because the football players want to get paid for working hard, just like the other sport athletes have to work hard?

Sorry to break it to you, but the magnitude of DI football goes well beyond the individual athlete. Quit, and they will find another to fill your position.

College athletes are the same as pro pilots, beating themselves up for peanuts cause their ego said to.:rofl:

Yea, I understand the difference between DI and DIII. Yet except for football and basketball, there are a lot more similarities than differences between among the different sports in the various divisions.

At the end of the day, football is about blocking and tackling. If it sucked that bad, I ask again, why didn't you quit? And what does difference does it make to you how much money the school makes off of your sport? What about the other sports that would lose funding because the football players want to get paid for working hard, just like the other sport athletes have to work hard?

Sorry to break it to you, but the magnitude of DI football goes well beyond the individual athlete. Quit, and they will find another to fill your position.

Title IX already assures that other sports don't get funding. Plenty of schools don't have baseball even though there's a demand for it. Because, to do so, they'd have to add some female only sport(s) for which there's zero demand.

Being a blue chip quarterback has it's perks, I see no reason bench warming badminton player should live off the QB.

Great, but address the fact that football and basketball are the bread winners.

Once you've done that, ask yourself who should reap the benifits? The coaches? Other students? Or the athletes that are participating in said sport.

Nothing is free in this world, sure there are more athletes to play the game if one quits, but that doesn't change the fact that the University's are making lots of money off them.

The other sports? Oh well, guess we'll always have our favorites, but who's fault is that?.... The football players?

Get real. It's a huge ass money making scheme, they are stingy and don't want to do what's right.

Once you've done that, ask yourself who should reap the benifits? The coaches? Other students? Or the athletes that are participating in said sport.

Nothing is free in this world, sure there are more athletes to play the game if one quits, but that doesn't change the fact that the University's are making lots of money off them.

The other sports? Oh well, guess we'll always have our favorites, but who's fault is that?.... The football players?

Get real. It's a huge ass money making scheme, they are stingy and don't want to do what's right.

And the NFL has a SCOTUS decision protecting their free labor.

No one is ever going to make me feel bad for student athletes on scholarship, or convince me it was such a huge burden that those four years were horrible. Not when I had to get up at 5am, go to work for 6-7 hours, then go to classes for 6-8 more hours, oh yeah, and then *I* had to pay for school and work on the weekend. And I had it easier than some others in my same situation.

"Booohoooooo! Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....I get to play a sport I love and get my school paid for. I want my ponyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooo!!!!!"

Last edited:

You've obviously graduated now, but why did you stay in the system if it was so hard, unfair, and unjust in your mind? We're you simply hoping for the big pro pay day, and now you're bitter that you weren't drafted?

No one is ever going to make me feel bad for student athletes on scholarship, or convince me it was such a huge burden that those four years were horrible. Not when I had to get up at 5am, go to work for 6-7 hours, then go to classes for 6-8 more hours, oh yeah, and they *I* had to pay for school.

If they were selling your shirts for a couple million a year and you were getting $0.00 you might have a different point of view.

You would also, have no recourse, you can't move on to the NFL until 3 years is up even if you're 100% qualified to do so.

If they were selling your shirts for a couple million a year and you were getting $0.00 you might have a different point of view.

You would also, have no recourse, you can't move on to the NFL until 3 years is up even if you're 100% qualified to do so.

The place I worked for certainly made millions from my work. But I see your disconnect, you thought my schooling was $0.00 too. There is absolutely no one forcing anyone to play sports.

The place I worked for certainly made millions from my work. But I see your disconnect, you thought my schooling was $0.00 too. There is absolutely no one forcing anyone to play sports.

Blue chip players rarely care about the degree. They're also barred from signing endorsement contracts, accepting money from agents, trading a shirt for a tattoo, borrowing a car, having a job etc… etc… etc… Unless you have parents to supplement you, you're life isn't going to be that great for the next few years.

Now imagine a kid from the Detroit ghetto seeing his jersey sell for $90.00 a pop and he can't afford to buy his girlfriend a decent meal on Valentines day…. Nor is he allowed any sort of way to earn money to do so. Also keep in mind this guy would probably be a top draft choice in the NFL but the SCOTUS has said he can't go.

What comes next is what keeps ESPN in business, more drama than the SOAP network after a kid accepts $300 for signing some jerseys.

It's a ****ed up system. I'm not even sure how it's legal.

Maybe he (and you) need to look at the $25-$50k that he's NOT paying in tuition and board as income, because that's what it is. When I was in school I couldn't afford to buy my girlfriend a valentines day meal either. I went out to eat maybe once a month - and that was McDonald's. I certainly wasn't making $25-$50k at that time.

They are more than welcome to quit playing sports, get a part time or full time job at near minimum wage and then pay for school out of their own pocket.

If everyone got free college I could see your argument. But it's not. They are getting paid $25-$50k tax free.

Last edited:

What shirts? Those with a logo are the school's intellectual property, not a players IP.

Maybe he (and you) need to look at the $25-$50k that he's NOT paying in tuition and board as income, because that's what it is. When I was in school I couldn't afford to buy my girlfriend a valentines day meal either. I went out to eat maybe once a month - and that was McDonald's. I certainly wasn't making $25-$50k at that time.

They are more than welcome to quit playing sports, get a part time or full time job at near minimum wage and then pay for school out of their own pocket.

If everyone got free college I could see your argument. But it's not. They are getting paid $25-$50k tax free.

Which is exactly what my sister did.

I made much better than minimum wage and lived pretty good in college.

Blue chip players rarely care about the degree. They're also barred from signing endorsement contracts, accepting money from agents, trading a shirt for a tattoo, borrowing a car, having a job etc… etc… etc… Unless you have parents to supplement you, you're life isn't going to be that great for the next few years.

Now imagine a kid from the Detroit ghetto seeing his jersey sell for $90.00 a pop and he can't afford to buy his girlfriend a decent meal on Valentines day…. Nor is he allowed any sort of way to earn money to do so. Also keep in mind this guy would probably be a top draft choice in the NFL but the SCOTUS has said he can't go.

What comes next is what keeps ESPN in business, more drama than the SOAP network after a kid accepts $300 for signing some jerseys.

It's a ****ed up system. I'm not even sure how it's legal.

It's not "his" jersey, it's the school's jersey. It's not his number on the jersey, it's a number that someone wore last year and someone else will wear next year. Is his name on it? He should feel privileged to see that.

I will agree that the system is ****ed up, thanks to the NCFrigginAA, but not paying players is not the reason for it.

Exactly.

No one is ever going to make me feel bad for student athletes on scholarship, or convince me it was such a huge burden that those four years were horrible. Not when I had to get up at 5am, go to work for 6-7 hours, then go to classes for 6-8 more hours, oh yeah, and then *I* had to pay for school and work on the weekend. And I had it easier than some others in my same situation.

"Booohoooooo! Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....I get to play a sport I love and get my school paid for. I want my ponyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooo!!!!!"

Your argument is a classic case of not knowing what your talking about.

We got up at 430 am so we could workout till 6, eat breakfast and then be at class @7, then have practice from 4-630. And if you didn't have a 3.0 you had study hall for an hour afterwards. Rinse and repeat all year long.

I'm not saying what you did was easy. But it's not as hard as an athlete. There are reasons why getting a D1 SCHOLARSHIP is hard.

Your letting your personal emotions and past history cloud a simple business decision.

The kids deserve to get paid. I don't care if you weren't good enough for a scholarship and worked 2 jobs on the side so you feel like athletes are spoiled brats, oh well. They still bring in the most money.

Back