Navy plane in the water

I'm sure they just did a bang-up job on this breaking story. But, I don't care about or trust the NYT as a valid news source enough to pay to find out.

Wow...I hope for the PIC's sake it was due to mechanical failure of some sort.
Partial submersion in salt water, that aircraft is spare parts now.

Crew is being assigned to Adak. Before anyone says that there is no base in Adak, there is now.

Heard there was a CG helo that went down in AK a few days ago.
Yeah, they got banged up a bit. I'm working through my grapevine to find out more. We almost did the same thing landing on a beach near Hitchenbrook back in '88. They were setting up for a pump delivery in this case. Not sure how this would happen.

The P-8 is a variant of the 737-800 which has a relatively high approach speed. A 7,700' runway is adequate, but doesn't leave a large margin of error for any problems or mismanagement.

I don't know what a typical operational weight is on a P-8 mission, but in airline ops, Vref is often in the low to mid-150s, plus a 5 to 15 knot wind additive for target speed.

The P-8 is a variant of the 737-800 which has a relatively high approach speed. A 7,700' runway is adequate, but doesn't leave a large margin of error for any problems or mismanagement.

I don't know what a typical operational weight is on a P-8 mission, but in airline ops, Vref is often in the low to mid-150s,
Aviation Safety Network says it was landing Rwy 22. The winds were 060/10+.

Aviation Safety Network says it was landing Rwy 22. The winds were 060/10+.
The 737 has a tailwind limit of 15 knots, if the runway is long enough.

A 10 knot tailwind would add 1850' to the landing distance. A 15 knot tailwind adds 2,775'.

I don't know what a typical operational weight is on a P-8 mission, but in airline ops, Vref is often in the low to mid-150s, plus a 5 to 15 knot wind additive for target speed.
They landed on a wet runway with at least a 19 kt tailwind....

There is no instrument approach to runway 4 due to the terrain so 22 was the only approach they could make. No details on why they attempted K-Bay instead of going to HNL.

I think we'll learn some old lessons about downwind and runway length. But at least the price doesn't include letters to the loved ones. This time. (Again)

They landed on a wet runway with at least a 19 kt tailwind....

There is no instrument approach to runway 4 due to the terrain so 22 was the only approach they could make. No details on why they attempted K-Bay instead of going to HNL.
gethomeitis and poor decision making with HNL and Barbers 10 minutes away.

At least they won’t have hot brakes.

I can't wait to see the final report on this one, but Big Blue is probably gonna redact a lot of info because of embarrassment. The sensor suite is more than the aircraft itself.

Glad to see the crew survived uninjured. Could be poor decision making.

Maybe there's an upside to this? If they put fixed floats on the P-8/737, they could make them tall enough to clear big CFM engines without homemade broken stability aug AND it would look like a prop from a Spielberg movie.

Then some of the airlines could bring back seaplane service, and the Navy wouldn't need to extend all the runways.

While this may seem funny, consider that the time difference between the first flight of the Catalina flying boat is closer to first flight 737, than first flight 737 is to now....and there was something like a 20 year overlap in PBY service in at least one Navy and 737 airline service.

Or......we could just bring back the PBY's, no kidding:

Last edited:
In 1968, this DC8-62 was landed in San Francisco Bay. I flew it multiple times as F/E in 1996/97. It was finally retired and scrapped around 2000.

View attachment 122904
I'm thinking of the electronics suite, not the airplane. It seems highly unlikely it has survived in a manner that will allow reconditioning.

I'm thinking of the electronics suite, not the airplane. It seems highly unlikely it has survived in a manner that will allow reconditioning.
They can fix it if they want to. All of the electronics are line replaceable. Only thing left is the wiring. That would be more work but it is doable.

I'm going to be a jerk and say that if they'd been flying a P-3 instead of a 737 they wouldn't have gotten wet.
We make pilots in the Air Force go to war in 60-year-old airplanes, no reason the Navy should have any better.....

Ron Wanttaja

Back