NavWorx Update

retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
I just received this from Dallas Avionics:

Attention: Experimental & LSA Aircraft Owners

Dallas Avionics, Inc. is pleased to announce a "plug and play" replacement system for your Experimental or LSA Aircraft with existing NavWorx AD affected system.

Working with uAvionix Corp., we are pleased to be offering the EchoUAT and SkyFyx Bundle (P/N ECHOFIX-KL5) at reduced price of $1090.00 (regularly $1499.00). The System bundle will come with a factory supplied "pig tail" harness/connector that will require no additional wiring making replacement system "plug and play" for those with an existing ADS600-EXP. (Those with experimental aircraft with the ADS-600B system are also included in this special but will require connector replacement). With all the capabilities of your existing system, the EchoUAT also provides Dual (978 & 1090) traffic as a dual frequency receiver.

In addition to the "plug and play" system, we will offer additional configurations to include a bundle with SKYFYX-EXT which includes replacement of your existing portable antenna with a GPS antenna with built in WAAS receiver (in antenna). This bundle is offered at a discounted price of $1050.00 (regularly $1399.00).

Lastly, for those customers that would like to interface an existing compatible WAAS GPS (Garmin, Avidyne, etc) we offer just the EchoUAT at a discounted price of $799.00 (regularly $999.00).

Customers must verify serial number of existing ADS-600EXP or ADS-600B system to qualify for this incredible one time offer. Dallas Avionics, Inc. will offer this price through 12/31/17.

Please visit dallasavionics.com or uavionix.com for detailed unit specifications. Dallas Avionics, Inc. will begin to accept orders on Friday 11/3/17.

Note: This solution is for Experimental and LSA aircraft only. Dallas Avionics, Inc. is working on a similar solution for Certified Aircraft Owners and should have additional information in the next coming weeks.

Dallas Avionics, Inc.
2525 Santa Anna Ave
Dallas, TX 75228
800-527-2581 / 214-320-9770

www.dallasavionics.com

In other words, you're up to the GTX prices at this point.

I dunno... $800 for the echoUAT to attach to my 430W is a great deal. All I need to do is farm a navworx unit someone is done with to qualify for the pricing.

And to think I almost went with a NavWorx. Glad I decided on a Garmin 330ES.

anonymous mode in 1200 = priceless!

I dunno...I just read the certification, and it sure looks a lot like the TSO on the NavWorx box. Before I spent a cent on the thing I'd want to know what position sensor it's using, what SIL it's broadcasting, and why, in the FAA's opinion this is acceptable, in writing. Nowhere in the documentation could I find the position sensor was tso'd or met the performance requirements.

Seems the FAA could easily change it's mind on this one too. Fool me once...

Last edited:
I dunno...I just read the certification, and it sure looks a lot like the TSO on the NavWorx box. Before I spent a cent on the thing I'd want to know what position sensor it's using, what SIL it's broadcasting, and why, in the FAA's opinion this is acceptable, in writing. Nowhere in the documentation could I find the position sensor was tso'd or met the performance requirements.

Seems the FAA could easily change it's mind on this one too. Once bitten...
Valid concerns. One huge difference between this and the Ads600-EXP is the echouat uses an external gps. you can couple the echouat with its gps, the GRT gps or run a serial wire to a 430W or GTN and use one of those as your position source. even with the Navworx ads-600 boxes the FAA allows one to continue using the navworx box under an AMOC when coupled with a 430W or GTN.

As well as the Nexnav mini pn 21000. I'm still undecided on which way to go with my 600B. Dallas Avionics saying they have a certified solution on the horizon only adds to the confusion. Still got a couple months before it turns into a paperweight.

Interesting. The SIL is analogous to that transmitted by a TSO'd waas gps chip, but no way that unit has a tso'd chip at that price point.

The SIL makes sense as it requires an external TSO'd or "rule compliant" position source:

GPS Position
o EFIS (Dynon, MGL, GRT, AFS)
o External GPS (SKYFYX, Garmin WAAS
GPS)

Interesting. The SIL is analogous to that transmitted by a TSO'd waas gps chip, but no way that unit has a tso'd chip at that price point.
The argument is ....the new rule allowed for the "performance" of the TSO....without the TSO. That's where this got confusing....and the bait and switch of the different GPS chips.

The argument is ....the new rule allowed for the "performance" of the TSO....without the TSO. That's where this got confusing....and the bait and switch of the different GPS chips.

Yabut, IIRC, in reading the background letters from the FTW ACO to Navworx regarding this point, it appeared the only way to prove performance parity was to use a tso'd chip, or an identical non - tso'd iteration of a tso'd chip. I'd want to know what chip was in the uAvionixSKYFYX uat, and why the FAA is cool with it.

Last edited:
Yabut, IIRC, in reading the background letters from the FTW ACO to Navworx regarding this point, it appeared the only way to prove performance parity was to use a tso'd chip, or an identical non - tso'd iteration of a tso'd chip. I'd want to know what chip was in the uAvionixSKYFYX uat, and why the FAA is cool with it.

Though it isn't regulatory, AC 20-165B Appendix B Identifying and Qualifying ADS-B Position Sources "defines the minimum requirements for position sources interfaced to ADS-B systems."

Back