midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
Anyone remember it? It's back.
www.navmonster.com
I used to use it all the time in the olden days :D

I wonder why. Even more, with all the planning tools that have come along since they left, I wonder how they will do.

Yea - Just downloaded the app. I wonder what became of the patent troll lawsuit.

Thanks Mark, I installed it on my iPhone. Looks like something I'll be referring to often. Always like to add new tools to my collection.

No app for Android?

Yea - Just downloaded the app. I wonder what became of the patent troll lawsuit.
I suspect the Navmoster claims went away when they shut down.

Overall, I haven't heard or seen anything specific on FlightPrep (the "troll") since the suit against AOPA was dismissed in 2014 for procedural reasons. AFAIK it was never refiled. A quick look at the FlightPrep website indicates support for their main products ended last September. Your speculative takeaway on that is as good as mine.

I downloaded it. So far it hasn't "navved" anything, though it did spit out a bunch of Wx info.

Anyone know of one of these simple freebies that includes Mexico?

Yeah, did that. Like I said, got lots of Wx, not so much nav.
NavMonster has pretty much always been more of a weather briefing app, not a navigation app. The lack of things like rubberbanding and recommended IFR routing is what makes me wonder about its success in a new world where those are available.

NavMonster is great for preflight planning. Punch in two airport codes and know everything you need to tell if the flight is doable, whether you need a fuel stop or not, what the winds and ceilings are . . . It's just not as simple as before, but I haven't tried it on my phone yet, just the tablet.

The PC version shows a chart with your selected route. The mobile app does not. Not sure it's needed. I just like maps.

I gave it a quick try and entered the entire routing of my typical flight across the state. Worked fine on my PC.

It's been so long I can't remember, but I think it was NavMonster that used to allow you to input a speed and it would plug that into the winds aloft section giving you a speed and ETA for different altitudes. Loved that feature. Don't see it on there now.

Back