Nav Indicator for GNX 375

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
Posting a new thread rather than creep my last "Garmin / pound sand" thread -

I bought my plane (1979 C172N) this past November. Antique... ahem... "vintage" avionics, to say the least. I wanted to replace the entire stack. Shops were saying they can take me in April That is, until I found a shop that said they could take me in late December and get me out in mid January if all I do is ADS-B. Beats messing with a tail beacon only to pull it later (existing transponder was on borrowed time).

So, here we are - installing new audio panel, radio, keeping old collins dual navs (they work... they will back up my GPS and serve well with instrument training).

Originally my partners and I were committed to a G5 AI / EHSI stack. Corona virus literally wiped out all our income for the next month at least (we all work in industries that rely on public gatherings).

I understand that if we wanted to navigate via GPS under IFR, we need a navigator. Which brings me to my question: If we wanted something to get us by, what could you recommend for a nav indicator for our GNX 375? First shop I talked to said KI 209, 2nd shop said I could also consider the KI 204 or KI 206. My head is starting to spin. All I know is the GI 106, but that would seem like overkill, especially given our temporaty reduction in income.

What are the differences between the 204,6 & 9? Shop says one has pendulum movements, 2 have rectilinear movements. One has a VOR converter, which is irrelevant since it's interfacing with a GPS. I guess I'll peruse ebay for a good price (with return policy). The shop I've been speaking to will yellow tag a unit for $300, assuming it works.

Thanks

Save for the g5

Recommend? Shops are gonna recommend what they have on hand to sell you, I would just get as many quotes as possible and ask for pictures of the actual used instrument they would be selling to make certain it doesn’t look like a boat anchor.

Yellow tag for $300, is like paying $1000 an hour to to fill out a tag.

once you have quotes then you can decide if worth pursuing.

I’d just save for the G5s

What are the differences between the 204,6 & 9? Shop says one has pendulum movements, 2 have rectilinear movements. One has a VOR converter, which is irrelevant since it's interfacing with a GPS.
You've pretty much answered your own question.

I'd have to go with the save for G5. Just put off IFR for a little bit and use the magenta line. A new install of the antique is false economy.

KI-209 can be gotten pretty inexpensively these days (I think there is even one tagged from Avionics source for like $800 right now on BT, private sale would likely be less). And you can likely resell for close to what you pay when installing the G5’s later. The GI-206 are nice but way overkill for a placeholder.

Update: I made one last sales pitch to my partners and we're moving forward with the G5 DG/EHSI. If not for the corona virus decimating our income for the next month+, going this route from the start would have been a no brainer. Thanks for the information on the KI indicators and the recommendations to stick with the G5 (Thanks especially to Chip and Brian).

Now, on to teaching myself how to install it....

Sounds like you made a decision to go with the G5 which is probably the best option. For others that may be reading this thread later... We did a nearly identical upgrade of new audio panel and GNX 375 to our Cherokee. We kept our dual Narco 12D Navcoms which had recently been gone through and work great. As for indicator we chose to not spend the extra money on a G5 and went with a used KI209. Love the GNX375. Maybe we will do a dual G5 upgrade in the future but for now we have a very capable IFR trainer.

Resized_20200331_134051.jpeg Yes - literally just put it in and made the pitot / static connections. Next I'll be installing the radio trays. (Wish me luck )

I recently installed a 430w, audio panel, transponder and g5 hsi and man is it nice after the “vintage” stuff came out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our bird is in the shop right now getting a new GNX 375 and a pair of G5s. Looking forward to the new capabilities. Fortunately, splitting the cost three ways. Still, a little salty in these uncertain times. But I think this is the best option.

Back