Nav #2 CDI Requirements

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Since we are not required to even have a 2nd nav source for IFR flight, are there any requirements on what we have for a nav #2 CDI?

Here is why I am asking. Daydreaming about our next panel upgrade, which is going to add more glass. Nav #2 right now is a KX-165 paired with a generic BK CDI with glideslope. We have a G5 HSI that is paired with our Garmin 530, and a KI-256 ADI that drives our KFC-200. I was thinking about an Aspen Max 1000 as our PFD, and use the G5 as a backup ADI and nav #2 CDI. That way we can eliminate the current CDI, and at some point replace the KX-165 with a new Garmin nav/com.

The Garmin G5 system cannot be connected to a King radio, they are not compatible in any way.

The Garmin G5 system cannot be connected to a King radio, they are not compatible in any way.
yes they can, they both can be connected to the same power and ground. :)
the company that gets the box to do that certified will do quite well i think.

OK.

Well back to the original subject, are there any specific requirements for displaying nav data from the #2 nav radio?

OK.

Well back to the original subject, are there any specific requirements for displaying nav data from the #2 nav radio?
Well, if you use it, it needs to display the data on some sort of OBS or HSI. With glass, that's usually going to be a CDI-select switch, although you can certainly keep your #2 OBS. To show both at the same time, one will be a bearing pointer (like an RMI). Even the G1000 is set up that way and the G5 can be configured that way.

I know the practical needs for the #2, my question is about the regulations.

Lets take the GI-275 as an example. From what I can see, if it is going to be your #1 CDI, the mode cannot be changed from it acting as a CDI. But what if it is #2? Can I change modes in it to lets say the moving map, or an ADI? If I a G5 could talk to my KX-165, would it have to be in HSI mode the entire time?

Lets take the GI-275 as an example. From what I can see, if it is going to be your #1 CDI, the mode cannot be changed from it acting as a CDI. But what if it is #2? Can I change modes in it to lets say the moving map, or an ADI? If I a G5 could talk to my KX-165, would it have to be in HSI mode the entire time?
I was referring to the formal requirements whether or not technically in the regulations - most of the specific requirements are not in the FAR itself but in ACs and Orders and other quasi-regulatory documents.

@MauleSkinner is correct. You can research the term in a number of FAA documents, but there is a general requirement that a navigational display be in the "primary field of view. " Plus, you need to look at the AFMS for the nav equipment. It may tell you what you need.

It woulD be helpful if Garmin published (public) STC installation limitations for the GI-275 rather than it being dealer privileged data. I'm pretty sure the GI-275 can display a non-Garmin radio, I think it is approved as an HSI and both navigators can be wired directly to it without an additional CDI.

Also, the HSI can act as a backup ADI depending on aircraft class i think.

Last edited:
Back