Napping Ramp Worker found Trapped in Luggage Hold

If he was my employee I wouldn't punish him, as he scared himself straight.

He should be looking for another job. Napping on the job is a sign of an attitude problem and poor work ethic that isn't going to be "scared straight."

Dan

He should be looking for another job. Napping on the job is a sign of an attitude problem and poor work ethic that isn't going to be "scared straight."

Dan

Well True.

I wonder what first first thought was when he woke up... :yikes:

Nahhh...just an overweight student pilot with sleep apnea who hopes the third class medical requirements go away. :)

The downside to hiring cheap contract vendor help instead of having your own employees.

+1

That indeed is the growing trend. That said, the third parties are hiring the same people directly from the airline.

Dan

Or it's a sign of working doubles for weeks straight to make a living on **** wages.

I wonder what first first thought was when he woke up... :yikes:

Probably looked at a baggage tag to see where he was going...and realized he couldn't afford the return fare...

Damn, another great spot on my AOA to catch a few ZZZZ's leaked.... :(

Thats one way to get a free flight outa them... I'll have to remember that for next time. If your gonna fly commercial aka cargo, you might as well have some room to stretch out in.

I'm sure the SEIU will have a field day with this; they've been trying to unionize these guys for a while. Of course they'll spin it to be about worker safety, not lazy employees.

Thats one way to get a free flight outa them... I'll have to remember that for next time. If your gonna fly commercial aka cargo, you might as well have some room to stretch out in.

If they would let me ride in cargo I would. I can sleep anywhere I can stretch out, just give me a pillow. I have slept beteen big, running, Diesels (the engine room is the smoothest ride on a boat in big seas), no worries sleeping comfortably in cargo.

Hope he punched out before his trip. Wonder if the ramp guys get psych tested?

I'm surprised he made a fuss. Now, it's all over the news and he is responsible for a flight diversion (ie expensive)

Assuming the hold is pressurized, he could have just kicked back and maybe even snuck out unnoticed at his destination and nobody is the wiser...

8q44VN1.gif

6PC - Just want you to know that the ONLY reason I clicked on this thread is because you had the last post. You never know what you're gonna do... and I was curious. :lol:

I'm sure the SEIU will have a field day with this; they've been trying to unionize these guys for a while. Of course they'll spin it to be about worker safety, not lazy employees.

I have found SEIU to be largely ineffective for contract negotiations. As for worker safety, this guy is golden.

Wouldn't the price of shipping a large crate like that international air freight be more than an economy ticket?

I'm surprised he made a fuss. Now, it's all over the news and he is responsible for a flight diversion (ie expensive)

Assuming the hold is pressurized, he could have just kicked back and maybe even snuck out unnoticed at his destination and nobody is the wiser...

Yeah, if I woke up in flight, I wouldn't have made a sound and climbed out about half way through the luggage like nothing happened.:lol:

Wouldn't the price of shipping a large crate like that international air freight be more than an economy ticket?

It depends, cargo goes by weight more than size. I could make a nice little travel cocoon that would ship for more than economy, but far less than business or first class that I would gladly pay the premium over the economy seat.

Dan

you cant really expect much from this low paid positions. not a lot of people take a $10/hour job **** job seriously. you would be a fool and poor manager to expect otherwise.

you cant really expect much from this low paid positions. not a lot of people take a $10/hour job **** job seriously. you would be a fool and poor manager to expect otherwise.

Or, they take no job seriously and that's why they're limited to a low-paying one..... Chicken and the egg...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I certainly hope these guys are professionals. They close our cargo doors and do a final walk around.

When I did my preflight in the 91k world, I made sure doors and latches were closed. We can't do that at the airline. We need to rely on ground personel to do that.

These things happen quite a bit. Even when I was working as a ramp rat 20 years ago it happened. And that's when working the ramp for United, Delta, TWA were good paying jobs and had quality in the hiring.

I certainly hope these guys are professionals. They close our cargo doors and do a final walk around.

Do you guys have annunciator lights to show when a cargo door is not secured?

And in related news yesterday...

2014 Was the worst for airline service since it's been measured.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

But the crate would be more comfortable.

Passengers heard screaming and banging below them as the plane climbed to cruise. Apparently, a ramp worker was taking a nap in the hold when he got locked in.

Did no one go " Where's Bob?"

If he was my employee I wouldn't punish him, as he scared himself straight.

No, they probably went, "hey Bob's asleep in the cargo again, lets close the door and see what happens...... dud, don't bogart that joint...."

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2: :lol:

Back