Name that thing

Maybe you use them to jab people in their sleep and then tell them it must be a spider bite.

I just think it's a heavy duty corkboard push pin, but I can't seem to be able to Google anything. The closest thing is 'dual prong tack' but maybe that is meant to be a temporary one.

Wasn’t the original gonculator powered by steam? I’ll bet there is a market for an updated model, with modern brushless motors and lithium batteries. Of course, if there’s ever a breakthrough battery technology, everybody will want one.

so I started a thread in some home improvement forum and didn't really get much more than we got here. sorry bud. I can try the reddit forum if u want, can't imagine why your post would get deleted.

Looks like the OP’s Reddit post is turning up the idea that it’s for properly spaced poking starter holes in walls, for mounting curtain rods.

so I started a thread in some home improvement forum and didn't really get much more than we got here. sorry bud. I can try the reddit forum if u want, can't imagine why your post would get deleted.

I got it posted finally. Lot's of guesses, but nothing notable yet.
The distance between the two prongs is about 3/16"

Thanks for starting the thread. I also sent pics/emails to our maintenance crew. Jokes and shrugs were only responses so far.

It might have been some kind of fastener as part of a shipping container. Where the plastic part holds a cardboard tube or something.

My joke answer is that it's the worst made self-rescue tool for walking on a frozen lake ever developed.

Can I just say: I love the title of this thread and I hope it stays alive with many iterations of mysterious throwback items of which we might opine their intended utility.

It strikes me as a temporary tack, maybe to hold low voltage wiring in place before you put a staple in? I cannot think of another usage.

I’ll call it a temporary tack.

Last edited:
I'm going with corncob skewer.

'Tho at the Beard household they're more shaped like little ears of corn.
You’ve got the right idea but wrong food. It’s actually used by African swallows to better grip a coconut.

Back