Name that thing

Skyrys62

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Meet the Fokkers
Grabbed a tool box at an estate sale, and a few of these were in a bag.
Tried googling it but can't find it.
Anyone identify it?
Pics are different. One has sharper points than the other.

PXL_20220215_001049332.jpg PXL_20220215_001516233.jpg

I would have said some kind of fuse tester based on the 2nd pic, but not sure why that would need pointy tips

Last time I saw spikes like that it was some sort of nail in cabinet glide. Sliding doors or something?

Corn cob skewer.

Post pictures of it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

I bet you'll have an exact answer within 15 minutes along with links to buy more. That subreddit is amazing.

Oh, thanks for that. There’s some interesting stuff there. After s few minutes I came across what turned out to be a Russian flight computer, kind of like an E6B but specifically for crosswinds.

For reference, plastic part is about 1"L x 5/8"W (didn't measure thickness) and the metal prongs are 1/4" long at best.

Those are obviously current-regulating chips for a gonculator. The pointy ones are for faster electrical impulses and the rounded ones are for slower electrical impulses.

Mini-golf divot tools?

Cattle prods for miniature cows!

richard-with-paulasue.jpg

The German gonculator or the American one?

I'm not sure, but I think the American one because I'm pretty sure the German one only took the style of chips with a less corrugated surface. :p:cool:

@SkyChaser seems to disagree.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, so I could understand the differing opinions. On the German ones, the ridges are .42 cm apart, and are .254 cm deep, whereas on the American ones, they're 1/4" apart and 1/8" deep. The prongs on German ones are also slightly wider spread, with a gap about 1/16" wider than the ones on American chips.

About the metricity or the ignorance?

Both. Firstly, see above, and as for the latter, I know I am not smart enough to judge the intelligence of an engineer. :D

Almost looks like a grout spacer that you'd use for tile, minus the metal prongs. Possibly something similar for use in drywall?

Last edited:
It's an anti-fuse. Apply enough voltage to the terminals and the circuit closes.

I dissected one and the metal prongs are not connected in any way. Basically like two these small nails, encased in the plastic.

upload_2022-2-17_12-18-27.png

Back