Nailed by a laser the other night....

I get the TSA reports monthly on them. The problem is prolific.

I've seen one but it was not pointed at me, made me do a double take though, WTF? Oh...

I gotta ask...how big of a problem is this really? A problem as in it actually causing an issue in the cockpit that is. I understand the POTENTIAL issues, but how often is it more than just an annoyance vs resulting in an ACTUAL incident?

Heck, when it comes to screwing with your night vision I hit the white button on my flashlight rather than the red light button screwing up my night vision all the time! (I know...different from a laser)

I just wonder if we are creating a self fulfilling problem with the media over sensationalism and reaction to it happening vs it it really being a non event thus reducing the desire of the schmuck on the ground to partake in the action.

Last edited:
You know, it's seeming common enough that I've already heard about a few guys now doing time over it. I figured once or twice they would figure it out, but just the other day another blurb in a newsfeed, same crap. Just "can't help it stupid"? :dunno: It would not surprise me if they didn't WTF they were doing though. But damned, after 2 or 3 guys get sentenced to significant time over it, you figure they would be educated by now.

I gotta ask...how big of a problem is this really? A problem as in it actually causing an issue in the cockpit that is. I understand the POTENTIAL issues, but how often is it more than just an annoyance vs resulting in an ACTUAL incident?

Heck, when it comes to screwing with your night vision I hit the white button on my flashlight rather than the red light button screwing up my night vision all the time! (I know...different from a laser)

I just wonder if we are creating a self fulfilling problem with the media over sensationalism and reaction to it happening vs it it really being a non event thus reducing the desire of the schmuck on the ground to partake in the action.

Well, that depends now.

Is it a kid with a <5mw laser pointer from Walmart, or some bonehead playing with a 3500mw (or larger) laser they bought off the internet -- like this: http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

The latter will do serious, permanent damage. Ask this BA pilot:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...military-laser-shone-into-cockpit-at-heathrow

A British Airways pilot has reportedly been left with significant damage to his eyesight after a “military-strength” laser was shone into the cockpit of his plane landing at Heathrow, in what appears to be the most serious laser attack to date in the UK.

The pilot suffered a burned retina in his right eye and has not worked since, according to the head of the British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa).

I don't want to be flashed by the latter.

Well, that depends now.

Is it a kid with a <5mw laser pointer from Walmart, or some bonehead playing with a 3500mw (or larger) laser they bought off the internet -- like this: http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

The latter will do serious, permanent damage. Ask this BA pilot:

I don't want to be flashed by the latter.

I bought the Wicked Laser, it's a nice unit, but not as 'wicked' as advertised. I cannot light a match with mine. That said, for the money I paid for it, $19.95 or something, I'm quite happy with it.

I bought the Wicked Laser, it's a nice unit, but not as 'wicked' as advertised. I cannot light a match with mine. That said, for the money I paid for it, $19.95 or something, I'm quite happy with it.

They sell numerous versions, going up to $1000. Plus there's all the Chinese import stuff as well.

What is the reporting action for this? Who do you call? The Sherrif? FAA?

Pretty much anyone, I think 911 takes them since police and sheriff helicopters are often the targets. If you're flying local ATC or 121.5 would be as good as any.

The problem can't only get worse,wait till they mount them on drones.

We got nailed while on an arrival into MSP. Same green laser we gave the position to ATC and they supposedly notified the authorities. They seem to take it pretty seriously.

Seems like it would be difficult to get the laser beam into the cockpit. Past it and the belly all day, but right at the glaresheld and to the pilots eyes Seems difficult.

Seems like it would be difficult to get the laser beam into the cockpit. Past it and the belly all day, but right at the glaresheld and to the pilots eyes Seems difficult.

Our side windows are not all that high. We got nailed via the side.

Our side windows are not all that high. We got nailed via the side.

Is it as dangerous as people are saying? Facebook has been blowing up with people complaining about even the Christmas Decoration one's.

I cant imagine it doing any real damage. I mean trying to hit a target from a half mile away, and minor movements will be greatly exaggerated on the other end.

The likely hood of hitting a pilot in the eyes long enough to cause damage is unbelievable to me.

Now...

One time, I got hit by one of those big motorized spotlights advertising a haunted house. What it did do and what the laser might do is scare the hell out of a pilot.

At first I saw this big flash of light and thought I got too close to a tower or had a near miss with another plane and I frantically scanned all over the place trying to figure out what it was. It totally took my attention off of flying the plane and I was base to final at the time.

I can see the distraction factor being a huge problem but I doubt it is going to damage anything.

I've heard that a powerful laser could actually be really good for signaling aircraft in a survival situation since the beam is visible.

And honestly I've seriously looked into getting one for the purpose of shining it down at things and point stuff out to passengers. What do y'all think?

Given that most folks don't have a clue, this advertising is irresponsible...

Now featuring solid state diode technology, the Krypton is the world's most powerful green handheld laser. The unbroken beam of unbelievably green light is strong enough to point out individual stars in the sky, and be seen in return by astronauts in space.
(emphasis added).

http://www.wickedlasers.com/krypton

"Yo, Darryl, let's go signal them astronauts. They're in those airplane-looking things". "Sure! Hold my beer!"

Shakes head.

I've heard that a powerful laser could actually be really good for signaling aircraft in a survival situation since the beam is visible.

And honestly I've seriously looked into getting one for the purpose of shining it down at things and point stuff out to passengers. What do y'all think?

As long as it was a Class II laser, technically you would be OK, I think. But I would not want to attract that kind of attention to myself. If it is a visible laser, you're certain to get complaints.

A few months ago a helicopter was lasered at my home airport and they were able to find out who did it and cops were on the way in about 5 minutes. Dumb kids.

What possible purpose does this device serve??

If I still lived in the War Zone in Ocean Beach and had one back when 75% of all the crystal meth in the country came from there, I could have started a paranoid tweeker war and caused panicked suicides with it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This FAA website:
https://www.faa.gov/mobile/?event=laser
or email laserreports@faa.gov but don't expect much from the FAA. I emailed them with a question about the Holiday Laser lights three weeks ago, and never received a reply.

Thanks. Good to know.

In a case where you are somewhere unfamiliar, I'm wondering how you give them an idea where it came from.

If you have the time, you could try to fly directly above the laser point and the 430 will give you coordinates. I can't think of any other way.

I suggest that the punishment for shining a laser
at an airplane is to have a laser pointed at one of his/her eyes and
turned on long enough to do damage. That might stop people from
doing it. Brings a whole new meaning to the term eye for an eye.

I've also been lazed going into Denver. Not pleasurable.

Thanks. Good to know.

In a case where you are somewhere unfamiliar, I'm wondering how you give them an idea where it came from.

If you have the time, you could try to fly directly above the laser point and the 430 will give you coordinates. I can't think of any other way.

A call to ATC and they'll give LEOs the area and then they go fly there and apparently then the idiots spot light them and then they get arrested.

First and only night cross country flight during my training we got a call from KSPI ATC warning us that there were reports of someone pointing a laser at multiple aircraft right along our flight path. Thankfully they either gave up or didn't see/hear us.

I am all for banning the sale of lasers as toys. They should be available for hobbyists with requisite paperwork signed (acknowledgment of liability).

I suggest that the punishment for shining a laser
at an airplane is to have a laser pointed at one of his/her eyes and
turned on long enough to do damage. That might stop people from
doing it. Brings a whole new meaning to the term eye for an eye.
I don't doubt that it's distracting, but aside from a single, unverified report from a pilot's union, what evidence is there of serious danger from this? If you believe the FAA, this is happening tens of thousands of times a year, without causing a single reported incident. And you want to blind people for it.:dunno:

I am all for banning the sale of lasers as toys. They should be available for hobbyists with requisite paperwork signed (acknowledgment of liability).

Meh, they make fine toys, most people use them to entertain themselves and their pets. It's actually a form of gun control, some of these same idiots would pick up a .22 and do the same thing if they didn't have a laser.

I don't doubt that it's distracting, but aside from a single, unverified report from a pilot's union, what evidence is there of serious danger from this? If you believe the FAA, this is happening tens of thousands of times a year, without causing a single reported incident. And you want to blind people for it.:dunno:

And we should we believe your unverified statistics???

Dangers to Pilot’s Vision from Handheld Lasers

Laser Injuries – ALPA Experience
► Instructed to call if injured
► 37 pilots reported injuries (5 years)
  • All green lasers
  • Most have afterimages, sensitivity
  • Effects resolve in 1-3 days (5 cases)
► One disabled > 24 months
  • Macular burn – reduced visual acuity
  • VA returned, persistent night sensitivity

I'm also worried about someone botching a landing at night with dazzled vision on final, from a "hold my beer and watch this" idiot.

1413474164075_wps_74_A_lout_holds_up_a_bottle_.jpg

The laser was shone at the police helicopter four times, creating a 'bloom effect', which momentarily blinded the pilot

1413474297758_wps_78_The_laser_shone_at_the_po.jpg

I think if you lasered other airplanes from your airplane, you could get away with it.
Probably be frowned upon.

A few months ago a helicopter was lasered at my home airport and they were able to find out who did it and cops were on the way in about 5 minutes. Dumb kids.

There are plenty of videos from Police helicopters who not only have the goof on video, but got hit by the laser beforehand. They can keep the guy in view and guide the cops on the ground right to him.

Tell ATC as soon as possible so they can mark your spot on the scope. ATC then calls the authorities and make a broadcast to every aircraft that come into our airspace about the laser for an hour. It has happened while I was working about a dozen times this year in Tucson. I've never been lasered myself...yet.

Some kids decided to laser Air One which is the police helicopter here. They were caught within two minutes.

Back