[NA] Who's enjoying this "arctic blast"?

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
I know I'm just absolutely loving it.
- Btw vacation and this crap wx I haven't been able to fly the plane since 12/26
- At ORD this morning and after 4 delays totaling a prospective 7h wait, I'm urged to rebook since the flight may get cancelled on account of arctic blast wx. Soonest I can get out there now is Thursday. That biz trip is shot! Fun fun!
- It's -6 F today with light wind and it somehow feels comparatively nice out. How messed up is that? I'm actually thinking about taking the arrow out today in such balmy weather.
- I have a Tesla paperweight in my driveway. Friend dropped it off here when he left on vaca and I think the cold ruined it; haven't been able to move it. I have no charger so no idea how we get that going again.

At least my water pipes haven't blown up like they did a few years back.

Anyone else lovin' this wx?

I know I'm just absolutely loving it.
- Btw vacation and this crap wx I haven't been able to fly the plane since 12/26
- At ORD this morning and after 4 delays totaling a prospective 7h wait, I'm urged to rebook since the flight may get cancelled on account of arctic blast wx. Soonest I can get out there now is Thursday. That biz trip is shot! Fun fun!
- It's -6 F today with light wind and it somehow feels comparatively nice out. How messed up is that? I'm actually thinking about taking the arrow out today in such balmy weather.
- I have a Tesla paperweight in my driveway. Friend dropped it off here when he left on vaca and I think the cold ruined it; haven't been able to move it. I have no charger so no idea how we get that going again.

At least my water pipes haven't blown up like they did a few years back.

Anyone else lovin' this wx?
Somehow the company I grow seed beans for is able to predict the coldest day of the year and sets that up to be the day they come get the beans. Not too bad today as it's mostly sitting in the truck, and when I have to get in the bin and scoop, I'll be out of the wind and working enough to keep warm. Yesterday when I was chipping the ice out of the conveyor for four hours to get it running...that sucked.

IMG_20240116_071705733_HDR.jpg

When we left NOLA Saturday it was 75. We stayed overnight in Paducah due to the icing up here, and paid for a heated hangar. -4F and 30mph wind when we landed in Champaign Sunday.

Saw an article on bookface this morning about frozen Teslas in Chicago. Wondered if it was real or manufactured media drama. Funny you have one in your driveway :)

My wife has been telling me she wants to experience Alaska winter. With the winter storms moving through dropping temps and snow, I told her she IS experiencing Alaska winter weather.

It's -6 F today with light wind and it somehow feels comparatively nice out. How messed up is that?
Yeah, I remember times in Alaska where the temp would warm up to -20 and we all think it is a nice, balmy day... :lol:

Somehow the company I grow seed beans for is able to predict the coldest day of the year and sets that up to be the day they come get the beans. Not too bad today as it's mostly sitting in the truck, and when I have to get in the bin and scoop, I'll be out of the wind and working enough to keep warm. Yesterday when I was chipping the ice out of the conveyor for four hours to get it running...that sucked.

View attachment 124426

When we left NOLA Saturday it was 75. We stayed overnight in Paducah due to the icing up here, and paid for a heated hangar. -4F and 30mph wind when we landed in Champaign Sunday.

Saw an article on bookface this morning about frozen Teslas in Chicago. Wondered if it was real or manufactured media drama. Funny you have one in your driveway :)
Yep - Funny enough it was my dad who sent my friend an article from Fox showing teslas w/o charge in Chicago, and then my friend forwarded it to me and asked me to go check on his car if I could. The car unlocked but I can't move it. The best part is I offered him a spare spot in my garage before he left but he declined. I'm betting he's regretting that now :D. I was thinking about trying to push it into the garage if I can and seeing when it warms up if it comes to life.

You did more work in the cold than me. After getting back from my own sunny, tropical vacation I had 1.5 hours shoveling my driveway, which had about 9" of snow built up when it was -10 F'ish out. Delightful experience. Built a lot of character.

Leaving soon for the annual 3 months working and skiing in Steamboat Springs. Loving the snow.
Oh I love the snow, don't get me wrong. And Steamboat is probably the best place for snow (IMHO). Love snowboarding out there.
But... -5 in Chicago hits just a little different than -5 in one of the nicest mountain cities in America...

I fled Portland last week before it turned into Icepocalypse. Now warmly ensconced at home, in shorts and a hoodie, I can return to being mostly smug in the mid-50s and spray my toxic schadenfreude all over social media where people are whining about their weather :)

I fled Portland last week before it turned into Icepocalypse. Now warmly ensconced at home, in shorts and a hoodie, I can return to being mostly smug in the mid-50s and spray my toxic schadenfreude all over social media where people are whining about their weather :)
I was supposed to be flying to an area with that weather today (SFO), so I could safely ridicule others from afar for whining about their weather.
... Alas, it turns out American Airlines and the weather gods had an entirely different plan for me.

Eh, I like getting a bit of snow and cold temps. Gives me an excuse to throw some firewood in the fireplace and roast some marshmallows with the kiddos. Also one of the few times a year I engage 4WD in the Excursion so that we can continue on with life unabated. If it's going to be in single digit temps, I'd rather there be plenty of snow on the ground. If it's miserably cold and there's no snow, it's just depressing, lol.

View attachment 124426

Mmmm... I can smell the belts smoking from here.

Built a lot of character.

Pops... is that you.??

Tell us again how you walked 12 miles a day each way to go to school, bare foot, in the snow, after getting up and milking the cows, feeding the hogs, plowing a section of land while behind a mule, cutting a months worth of firewood and picking cotton by hand....then after school... :lol:

My wife has been telling me she wants to experience Alaska winter. With the winter storms moving through dropping temps and snow, I told her she IS experiencing Alaska winter weather.
My experience with Alaska winter was in Yakutat. :biggrin:

Not enjoying it at all.....Anything below about 70F and I'm cold. Below 40 and I start hurting pretty good. Below 15 or so and I quit going outside unless I absolutely have to. Sucks, because the heaters in our hangars at work have a hard time keeping up with anything below about 40 if there is much wind.

The Tesla problem in Chicago is real. So cold, that you can't get enough heat in the batteries to get them to start taking a charge. One guy said that he spent 3 sessions, 3 hours each, trying to get his dead Tesla to start charging on an outside supercharger...

Going to have to plug in the 7.3's block heater tomorrow and see if it will crank up.

Not exactly an "arctic blast" here in Seattle; temperatures barely getting down to the low teens.

But I flew Sunday in my open-cockpit airplane when it was 25 degrees. Here's a post-flight selfie...
1705431618738.png
The rosy cheeks aren't rouge left over from a drag-queen outing....the leather helmet doesn't cover my face and it gets caressed by the icy draft.

Wearing a replica of a WWII B-3 flying coat that my wife bought me for Christmas a few years back. Weighs about seven pounds, and NO breezes get through it....

Might be hard to believe, but I actually got colder pre-flighting the airplane and sticking it back into the hangar afterwards than I did during the flight itself. Was pretty cozy while flying, though the aforementioned cheeks WERE stinging a bit....

Ron "Knows the difference between climate and weather" Wanttaja

Pops... is that you.??

Tell us again how you walked 12 miles a day each way to go to school, bare foot, in the snow, after getting up and milking the cows, feeding the hogs, plowing a section of land while behind a mule, cutting a months worth of firewood and picking cotton by hand....then after school... :lol:
With bad wifi. Don't forget to include the bad wifi.

Ron Wanttaja

Pops... is that you.??

You forgot the walk was up hill both ways.

Not enjoying it at all.....Anything below about 70F and I'm cold. Below 40 and I start hurting pretty good. Below 15 or so and I quit going outside unless I absolutely have to. Sucks, because the heaters in our hangars at work have a hard time keeping up with anything below about 40 if there is much wind.

The Tesla problem in Chicago is real. So cold, that you can't get enough heat in the batteries to get them to start taking a charge. One guy said that he spent 3 sessions, 3 hours each, trying to get his dead Tesla to start charging on an outside supercharger...

Going to have to plug in the 7.3's block heater tomorrow and see if it will crank up.
I did plug-in the block heater Excursion (6.0L) even though it starts just fine in single-digit temps. It sits in an insulated garage, but my wife was going to drive it since it has 4WD and I didn't want her whining about how long it takes for the heater to work, lol. Plugged it in a 5am and had 90-degree coolant by 7:30am.

I flew Sunday in my open-cockpit airplane when it was 25 degrees.
You're made of sterner stuff than I... my limit is 40°F.

I'd be enjoying this weather if it was just a bit colder so the snow would be skiable rather than rain crusted slush.

The dog can open doors. Let her out. 7 seconds later she opens the door and lets herself back in. Only way she's going to go outside is if Im freezing my juevos off with her. She aint dumb.

It's 34 and sunny here, and I'm loving it. It'll be 100+ again soon enough, so I'll enjoy this while it lasts. (Admittedly I'd enjoy it even more if it were 50-65F, but I'd still rather it be 15 deg colder than that range vs. 35 deg hotter.)

One of my coworker’s favorite sayings this time of year:
IMG_5416.jpeg

9” of snow here at our E TN airport near Knoxville. 16° F now and going to the single digits tonight.

One positive note: our airport‘s one outdoor Cessna got a free tailwheel conversion!

53466475546_39a0eacfef_z.jpg

53466795034_7f5ed9952e_z.jpg

I did plug-in the block heater Excursion (6.0L) even though it starts just fine in single-digit temps. It sits in an insulated garage, but my wife was going to drive it since it has 4WD and I didn't want her whining about how long it takes for the heater to work, lol. Plugged it in a 5am and had 90-degree coolant by 7:30am.
The car we just bought has remote start and bun warmers. Happy wife, happy life. :)

The car we just bought has remote start and bun warmers. Happy wife, happy life. :)
Oh it has seat heaters and remote start as well, but it takes a long time to heat up the coolant from 0F by just idling in the garage! Easier just to plug it in for a few hours a week each year when it gets that cold.

I flew today after work and it was 7°f in the air and about 12° on the ground.
Every air leak can be felt when it is this cold. Oil temp and pressure was the same as always. Although I was running cowl block off plates today. It was gusty in the air today, that cold air is non forgiving.
IMG_3919.HEIC

Got in some good X wind landing practice as it was gusting to 18. Did 3 T&Gs. By then I was too cold as the engine doesn't make much heat in the pattern.

Can’t take much more of this frigid weather. 49F here in central Florida right now, temp not going out of the mid-50s all day. I probably won’t even be able to use the swimming pool today.

I gotta move farther south.....

Can’t take much more of this frigid weather. 49F here in central Florida right now, temp not going out of the mid-50s all day. I probably won’t even be able to use the swimming pool today.

I gotta move farther south.....
You can wave at the Puerto Ricans as you swim past them on their way to Florida, lol.

Glad the freezing temps are here. We're finally getting some ice! Went from 50deg good surf this month to finally getting good conditions for climbing.
i-N2FCdcf-XL.jpg

Glad to say that after being snowed in for 2+ days, our new-to-us Toyota Tundra managed to claw its way up our driveway in 4WD with street tires.

53470356715_87a62156ee_c.jpg

53470255144_e6b28d58d1_z.jpg

Nowhere we have to go right now - the local backroads are still pretty slick - but nice to have the option, even at these temps!

53470087608_5cbabc12fd_z.jpg

Back