[NA] What's the deal with Air Quick Connects?

deonb

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
deonb
Apparently I've managed to become 40 years old without knowing this.

When you buy a "Tire Pressure Monitor" it comes with what I've always know as being an Air "Quick Connect" - the style that you can use with any Home Depot style compressor, and that everything fits on - from small brad nailers to framing nailers, pneumatic screw drivers etc.

upload_2017-9-24_22-51-39.png

HOWEVER, when you buy a "Tire Inflator" it comes with a completely different beast- even though they ALSO call it a "quick connect" on the box - it's not the same thing and it doesn't fit any of the "Quick Connect" hoses I have.

upload_2017-9-24_22-53-37.png

I thought this was just a Chinese piece of proprietary crap, so then I got a second "Tire Inflator" (a Goodyear), and it has an identical connect to the Hausbell. And they ALSO call a "Quick Connect"...

I've never seen this style of "Quick Connect" before, and Google is letting me down. What is this thing actually called and how do you "adapt" from the "Tire Inflator" to the "Tire Pressure Monitor" quick connects? (And WHY are those not using the same thing??)

I thought this was just a Chinese piece of proprietary crap, so then I got a second "Tire Inflator" (a Goodyear), and it has an identical connect to the Hausbell. And they ALSO call a "Quick Connect"...

Finding two of them doesn't negate that it's cheap Chinese proprietary crap. :)

Yes, there's more than one style. You can buy just the nipples and sockets at the store and change out to all the same style.

If you're only going to use the "tire pressure monitor" with the "tire inflator" then you might consider just permanently mounting the monitor on the coiled hose.

Or not.

Yep, two sizes. Good news is they are sold in multipacks, and easy to change with a crescent wrench and teflon tape

40 years old and didn't know that nipples come in different sizes? Oh well.

I made a couple of adapters years ago to be able to use either type as different shops sometimes used different fittings. I just used a union to connect the male fitting of one type to the female of the other type. Problem solved.

I've never understood the need for more than one style fitting. The beauty is that they're dirt cheap, especiallly at Harbor Freight.

It is incredibly aggravating, as some of the styles look very similar to the naked eye, and Type A for one manufacturer may be different than Type A for another manufacturer. We have found that out the hard way more than once.

The difference in the two that you have shown is that the one in the bottom picture can be connected by simply pushing the hose on. No need to pull the lock back to push the hose on where as the traditional style it is required to pull the lock back. There are also two different traditional style connectors that as someone else said, looks almost identical.

Edit: This is also the first time I have ever heard of a tire pressure gauge being called a monitor. Interesting..

Yup, most are referred to as "automotive" vs "industrial" nipples from what I've seen. There are some brands of couplers that will work with either style nipple, but I'm sure they aren't as air-tight as the application specific ones are. I have the dual-style couplers on both of my air compressors just to ease the frustration that is caused by picking up a tool with the odd nipple size.

There is probably at least 50 different styles of QD's for air hoses. Some interchange and most don't. Easiest thing to do when setting an air system up is select one of the major manufacturer's interchangable designs and buy a few extras of each sex to keep on hand.

There is probably at least 50 different styles of QD's for air hoses. Some interchange and most don't. Easiest thing to do when setting an air system up is select one of the major manufacturer's interchangable designs and buy a few extras of each sex to keep on hand.
While that's true, most big box stores are only going to have the 2-3 primary styles. You have to go to more of a specialty hardware store or industrial supply outfit to get the less common sizes, especially if it's in anything bigger than 1/2" hose.

It can be a real pain, started a new job (well same job different company about 7 years ago and got a nice surprise when none of the fittings for me air tools would fit...that's how I learned. I would suggest just converting everything you have over to the same type nipple and keep spares on hand for when you buy anything new.

My 2 cents

That is the beauty of standards....if you don't like one just use a different one.

Yes, there's more than one style. You can buy just the nipples and sockets at the store and change out to all the same style.

They used to do a lot o' them special procedures down there in Trinidad, CO. Called it "the sex change capital of the world" for a while. Still gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about a scalpel that close to my near-and-dear bits...

They used to do a lot o' them special procedures down there in Trinidad, CO. Called it "the sex change capital of the world" for a while. Still gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about a scalpel that close to my near-and-dear bits...
Well they didn't zactly remove all of them, jus' turn certain parts inside out.

Back