[NA] Weber Genesis II Grill Pireps?

It looked like the dude was blessing his ribs with some sort of holy leaves.

What does the Genesis do that the Spirit doesn't?

I just bought one to replace a generic model that rusted out in less than 5 years. I'm told they last a lot longer and they have a really good warranty, I believe it was 10 years on the burners. I chose it in hopes it lasts a very long time vs other grills I've had that rust apart in a short time. Only had it a couple weeks so I can't speak to that.

Otherwise it seems well put together, it heats up reasonably quick and grills the food about as well as any other 3 burner gas grill. As far as use it's pretty much like others. The biggest difference is it has a replaceable foil drip pan which again I hope helps it out-last others. Nothing much to say about it except where it's mounted my dogs are able to pull it out and run off with it.

I just bought one to replace a generic model that rusted out in less than 5 years. I'm told they last a lot longer and they have a really good warranty, I believe it was 10 years on the burners. I chose it in hopes it lasts a very long time vs other grills I've had that rust apart in a short time. Only had it a couple weeks so I can't speak to that.

Otherwise it seems well put together, it heats up reasonably quick and grills the food about as well as any other 3 burner gas grill. As far as use it's pretty much like others. The biggest difference is it has a replaceable foil drip pan which again I hope helps it out-last others. Nothing much to say about it except where it's mounted my dogs are able to pull it out and run off with it.
My Weber gas grill: Over the years, I've replaced the deflector shields (those pieces that cover the burners) with stainless. The originals on mine were porcelain coated steel that eventually rotted away. The burners were already stainless. My grates are the porcelain coated cast iron, but over the years most of the porcelain coating has been worn away from wire-brush cleaning. I did have to replace the ignitor once. I've gotten over 15 years out of it, and have no reason to expect less than another 15 years. Mine sits on a covered deck, but I don't put a grill cover on it. Once a year, in the spring, I take it all apart and clean out the burners with a toothbrush and make sure there are no spider webs clogging up the air intake screens at the knobs. And I swap out the foil drip pan once a year now that the possum that used to clean it out for me finally got hit by a car.

I do need to replace the regulator soon, though.

I have a weber kettle charcoal grill that's probably 30 years old... not sure but it was around when I was a kid. I have replaced the grate and had to weld the handle back on the lid.. and now the vent covers are falling off but it's still a perfectly workable charcoal grill.

In contrast the no-name gas model I bought just a few years ago had the porcelain coated drip pan rust out within the first 2 years.... replacements were not available so I had to fabricate my own. Close to 5 years after purchase the supports for the burners have rotted away and they just kind of hang, the flame deflectors are pretty much gone, and the grates are starting to erode away. From the outside with the lid closed it still looks nearly new but the inside is pretty much gone. In fairness we do use it nearly every day in the spring/summer/fall months but I was really disappointed that it didn't last longer. I'm tired of throwing things away after a few years of use.

I have a weber kettle charcoal grill that's probably 30 years old... not sure but it was around when I was a kid. I have replaced the grate and had to weld the handle back on the lid.. and now the vent covers are falling off but it's still a perfectly workable charcoal grill.

Weber used heavier gauge steel on the older versions of their kettles (15+ years ago). The newer ones still last a long time, but nowhere near as long as they did. Mine typically needs the sweeper mechanism replaced every 5-7 years because it rots away and I replace the grates about as often. The legs are really beat up, too, but that's not Weber's fault, it gets used pretty hard during BBQ contest season and it gets banged up every time it gets disassembled, reassembled, and bounced around in the back of the truck. Weber replacement parts are always available.

I don't think the Spirit models have side burners.

I'm pretty sure that the Spirit is made in China, while the Genesis is made in USA.

I bought a Genesis a few years ago, it was a huge improvement on the Char Broil I had. Since it's kind of short and stocky, and loves to cook, I named it Miss Kay in honor of the matriarch of the Robertson clan of Duck Dynasty fame. When we first got it I referred to it an my new grillfriend, which confused the neighbors to no end. I do need to replace the igniter, and I have to clean it a couple of times per year. We cook with a lot of dry rubs and they tend to fall into the grill, hence the need to clean it fairly often. That, plus I probably cook 100 - 120 meals per year on it. Ours is plumbed into the natural gas, the best $600 I ever spent. It's very versatile, if you crank everything up you can put a good sear on a steak, but if you turn two burners on low you can do a nice pulled pork as well, though it's hard to get much smoke out of a grill. I'm very satisfied with ours, and the changes they've made look incremental, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, but probably won't need to.

Weber used heavier gauge steel on the older versions of their kettles (15+ years ago). The newer ones still last a long time, but nowhere near as long as they did.

This is a trend I see in almost every product out there. Even when you buy name brand it seems to be nearly impossible to buy any of the super long-lasting overbuilt types of products that our parents/grandparents used to swear by. Even the high end stuff seems cheap to me these days.... at the very best adequate. It's like there's no market for well built items, I guess the marketing and engineering people must have figured out it's more profitable for them to manufacture cheap crap.

We have a Genesis that we bought 2 years ago. Love it! It is built like a tank. Pricey but well worth it and we use ours 3 to 4 times every week for the past two years. No rust and works great. Now the sear burner is nothing more than just another burner that is smaller in BTU. Its close to two other burners so it does give off good heat. But I really like the infrared sear burners better. But over all we love our Weber!

My Weber gas grill: Over the years, I've replaced the deflector shields (those pieces that cover the burners) with stainless. The originals on mine were porcelain coated steel that eventually rotted away. The burners were already stainless. My grates are the porcelain coated cast iron, but over the years most of the porcelain coating has been worn away from wire-brush cleaning. I did have to replace the ignitor once. I've gotten over 15 years out of it, and have no reason to expect less than another 15 years. Mine sits on a covered deck, but I don't put a grill cover on it. Once a year, in the spring, I take it all apart and clean out the burners with a toothbrush and make sure there are no spider webs clogging up the air intake screens at the knobs. And I swap out the foil drip pan once a year now that the possum that used to clean it out for me finally got hit by a car.

I do need to replace the regulator soon, though.
Have you tried replacing the possum?

We have a Genesis that we bought 2 years ago. Love it! It is built like a tank. Pricey but well worth it and we use ours 3 to 4 times every week for the past two years. No rust and works great. Now the sear burner is nothing more than just another burner that is smaller in BTU. Its close to two other burners so it does give off good heat. But I really like the infrared sear burners better. But over all we love our Weber!

That's what I'm afraid of. The 2016 Genesis used a simple perforated tubes for burners. The 2017 Genesis II uses this trapezoidal thing with nozzles on it. I wonder whether they messed up a good thing by over complicating the plumbing.

That's what I'm afraid of. The 2016 Genesis used a simple perforated tubes for burners. The 2017 Genesis II uses this trapezoidal thing with nozzles on it. I wonder whether they messed up a good thing by over complicating the plumbing.

I see what your saying..hmm...ours was recently heating unevenly, I pulled the vaporizers off and took a wire brush to the tubes. Works like money. I have not seen what the new tubes look like. Can you find a 2016 model left over at Lowes maybe?

Lots of money for bad food prep, just cook it in your kitchen IMO

Lots less money, lot more flavor, if ya going to do it, do it

images

Is yours the pre-2017 with the perforated tube burners? Or is it the 2017+ model with the venturi nozzles on the burners?

I had to look mine up, Genesis Silver B.

Probably 15 years old by now.

41NZNFCDT4L._SX355_.jpg

Does any Weber get hot enough to be able to put a black & blue sear on a rare steak?

I've used a various propane and natural gas BBQ's over the years and they're pretty much unusable - by the time I get a black sear the steak is medium rare or worse.

Really the only thing I found that I really liked for a sear used to be a MAPP gas welder, but you don't get real MAPP gas anymore. The new "MAPP" substitute - even with added Oxygen - doesn't burn as warm. I know other people had luck using oxy-acetylene, but those things are always big and bulky.

Does any Weber get hot enough to be able to put a black & blue sear on a rare steak?

I've used a various gas BBQ's over the years and they're pretty much unusable - by the time I get a black sear the steak is medium rare.

Really the only thing I found that I really liked for a sear used to be a MAPP gas welder, but you don't get real MAPP gas anymore. The new "MAPP" substitute - even with added Oxygen - doesn't burn as warm. I know other people who have had luck using oxy-acetylene, but those things are always big and bulky.
When clean, the built-in thermometer on mine will wrap past the 550 deg mark pretty quickly. At the end of the season, when the interior is crusty and doesn't reflect heat as well, it struggles to get above 450, but the cast iron grates are screaming hot.

When clean, the built-in thermometer on mine will wrap past the 550 deg mark pretty quickly. At the end of the season, when the interior is crusty and doesn't reflect heat as well, it struggles to get above 450, but the cast iron grates are screaming hot.

For a black & blue sear you need around 1500F. An infrared sear station is supposed to be able to achieve that, but I haven't found one that works really well in practice.

I have a Weber Silver that is about 14 years old, porcelain grates, still going strong. I'm probably negligent in how little I take care of it too, but it won't quit. It gets used pretty regularly too, year round.

Deflector plates are just now starting to show signs of wanting to be replaced. Guy who does our landscape work has already said he wants to buy it when I'm done with it (will likely have bigger unit in a year).

For a black & blue sear you need around 1500F. An infrared sear station is supposed to be able to achieve that, but I haven't found one that works really well in practice.
i had a grill i bought at costco, made by nexgrill, plumbed into NG at the house and i got a great sear on my steaks

I doubt a charcoal grill will get that hot unless you use forced air (I HAVE used a leaf blower before).

I doubt a charcoal grill will get that hot unless you use forced air (I HAVE used a leaf blower before).

Right, it doesnt. I use an open wood fire for that instead. We have a steakhouse here that also does that - learned that from them.

Wood is better, but it's messy. So I'm really looking for a gas/infrared alternative that's as hot as a wood fire.

I believe a chimney starter will. The only problem is figuring out how to position the meat without discomfort.

Here's what the old pre-2017 burners looked like:
307508_630x440_a.jpg

And here's what the new 2017+ Genesis II burners look like:

opo3v6.jpg

I might be the wrong one to ask. This is my grill when I bought it:

grill-before.jpg

And a few days later:

grill-after.jpg

I paid $10.00 for the grill, maybe $15.00 for paint and the like, and $5.00 for an empty propane tank to trade in on a full one. Since then I've also splurged on a replacement wheel for the missing one and a new flame guard.

I suppose there are finer points to grilling that I don't understand, but I don't quite get the wide range of prices for new grills. I don't understand what makes one so much better than another. I mean, seriously, how many ways are there to push propane through little holes?

Rich

The main problem is using a flammable gas of any sort when grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that the Spirit is made in China, while the Genesis is made in USA.

Looks like that is no longer the case. It appears that the 2017+ Genesis II is made in China.

Back