(NA) They're listening and I don't like it

Turn off Location, in your phone. If the phone complains, it's because it's spying on you. (Yes, the cell company can still triangulate your position, but it's no longer broadcasting your location via GPS)

P.S. I might be a little tin-foil-hatty...

GPS does not broadcast anything. It is receive only.

I only have location services turned on for those apps that require it (mapping apps). And I close the apps (swipe it up) when I am not using them.

My two cents: if you don't need the money at 62, wait at least until your full retirement age. And if you don't need the money then, wait until 70. I took mine at 66 but needed it then. Now, age 77, I really don't need it, and could have a larger benefit if I had been able to wait. YMMV.

Another point to waiting until full retirement age is you can work another job and not have an offset of your SS.

GPS does not broadcast anything. It is receive only.

I only have location services turned on for those apps that require it (mapping apps). And I close the apps (swipe it up) when I am not using them.

You turn the GPS off because many of the apps out there continually monitor the GPS system and record the location on a fairly short time schedule. They then batch upload that data every time the app phones home....Most of the photos systems also embed the GPS data in photos and videos when they are taken. Not hard to pull that info out of a photo or video file and other pertinent data and then figure out where one was when the file was recorded.

If you're signed into an account (Google, Microsoft, etc,) on your browser(s), it's going to sync your browsing history between machines and serve ads on all 3 machines based on that.

You can clear your data with safari, firefox….I don’t trust MS or Google browsers. I clear the data periodically.

Back