(NA) They're listening and I don't like it

Mahneuvers

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mahneuvers
I'm all for technical innovation/progress but this is getting out of hand. I had a conversation with a friend the other day about how I needed to repair my driveway. She shorty started getting driveway repair advertisements. In the car a couple days ago I told my wife I could see a Jeep being my next vehicle. I was just cold called by a local Jeep dealer. I've never before been cold called by a car dealer. I think it's time to disable all these voice services.

I have never enabled them. They ARE listening.

I think it's time to disable all these voice services.

I have never enabled them. They ARE listening.

Besides disabling Google Assistant or Siri, I go one step farther and disable mic access to anything that doesn't need it.
The Facebook app is also a big piece of spyware, as well as Amazon Alexa. If you need Facebook on mobile, I would recommend just doing it through mobile browser.

iu

When I buy bee stuff on my work computer, the other 2 computers get ads for bee stuff.

When I buy bee stuff on my work computer, the other 2 computers get ads for bee stuff.
If you're signed into an account (Google, Microsoft, etc,) on your browser(s), it's going to sync your browsing history between machines and serve ads on all 3 machines based on that.

If you're signed into an account (Google, Microsoft, etc,) on your browser(s), it's going to sync your browsing history between machines and serve ads on all 3 machines based on that.

Which is why I quarantine my accounts based on browser. Amazon is always in brave (with cross-site scripting and cookies disabled). Google is Chrome. Firefox is never signed into anything.

Recently acquired by a new company. Going through their onboarding 'security' training, which included several slides about "Do not take customer calls or discuss company business in the same room as Echo, Nest, etc. devices. Do not trust 'disabling' the device - unplug it."

Crap, I was describing my new tactical nuke, and the next chem trails mission next to Echo.
Am I in trouble?
You are correct everyone is listening. Big Brother isn't political, it's technology.

Which is why I quarantine my accounts based on browser. Amazon is always in brave (with cross-site scripting and cookies disabled). Google is Chrome. Firefox is never signed into anything.
Same, although I'm not quite that elaborate with it.

Crap, I was describing my new tactical nuke...
I get the point about not having anything to hide. In this case, I received a phone call, voice mail then text. It's one thing to ignore a browser add. It's another where I actually have to click on stuff to make it go away.

I'm pretty guilty of not being overly concerned about my personal data. I don't think I'm a tinfoil hat guy but I don't see this scenario as too out there. I filed an amended tax return for the 1st time this year. I missed a 1099-DIV. It wasn't a lot of money and figured they laughed at amending for such a small amount. Nevertheless, I had a conversation in the same car ride w/ my wife about if it was significant enough to file. I'm sure it wasn't, but, I wouldn't have wanted any part of that conversation shared.

Last edited:
Walked into Costco...never touched my phone...next time I opened phone get targeted ads from Costco.

That is the price you pay for technology...get this...if you use Google Ad Buy for your business you can specifically target customers that visit your competitors by targeting those that visit specific locations.

It happens with all the Apps...remember...if you are not paying for a service YOU are the product.

At first you just think you are being paranoid. My wife and I had a discussion about buying XYZ, then I started seeing ads for it. Thought well maybe one of us Googled it.

One day we had a face to face conversation that we should get Domino's for dinner tomorrow. An hour later a Domino's ad pops up on tv and every website I go to. ...okay...

We do quite a bit of work with marketing companies where I work, and they pulled back the curtain on what they are able to do with information. We can not only target certain demographics, but we can specifically target persons based on if they visited a competitor on a Tuesday at 2:00PM, and anyone connected in their household. We can target people based on certain phrases or keywords they may have used, etc., etc., etc.

Now I will say, one of our marketers has told us this is coming to an end, that there is a new federal law taking effect this summer that bans third-party data mining, which are the companies that collect all of this data and sell it to marketers. Granted, it is probably just a matter of time before such businesses figure out the loopholes in the law and start doing it again.

Limit 3rd party apps on your cell - the ones you need, constrain their access to resources. Set your browser to clear cookies and history when you close it. Or, just use VPN. If not, close out a session after using Amazon, Google or FB, and don't access other sites while those sessions are open. Firefox is a decent option. There are alternatives to gmail, as well.

Most phone apps aren't written by their sponsor - they are farmed out. Some apps with access to your location track your location closely. Very closely. You can exlude them from location data - and turn off location services unless/until you need it.

Walked into Costco...never touched my phone...next time I opened phone get targeted ads from Costco.

That is the price you pay for technology...get this...if you use Google Ad Buy for your business you can specifically target customers that visit your competitors by targeting those that visit specific locations.

It happens with all the Apps...remember...if you are not paying for a service YOU are the product.

I remember in some random MIS course in school 20 years ago we were talking about how some retailer had started embedding RFID chips into their 'customer loyalty' card and they had put RFID scanners facing out from their doorway into the open area of the malls (that tells you how long ago it was). They would detect if someone with the card walked past the store but didn't come in and they would trigger an email or mailer to the person with a coupon to get them to come in. We all thought that was scary and swore that 'WE' would never give up 'OUR' personal information like that...yet here we are.

I'm constantly bombarded with spam phone calls, which I don't answer but I'm beginning to wonder if a different tactic might be better. That would be to go ahead and answer, don't talk or listen, just put the phone back in my pocket and maybe tie up their system for five minutes or so until it figures out nobody's there. If it works I might get black-listed lol.

Turn off Location, in your phone. If the phone complains, it's because it's spying on you. (Yes, the cell company can still triangulate your position, but it's no longer broadcasting your location via GPS)

P.S. I might be a little tin-foil-hatty...

It's not just that. Your IP address is used to drive some of it. If I look at something on my computer or phone, my wife will start getting corresponding ads in her Facebook feed. Even if you use a so-called "private" browsing window. It's one reason VPNs are gaining popularity.
I remember in some random MIS course in school 20 years ago we were talking about how some retailer had started embedding RFID chips into their 'customer loyalty' card and they had put RFID scanners facing out from their doorway into the open area of the malls (that tells you how long ago it was). They would detect if someone with the card walked past the store but didn't come in and they would trigger an email or mailer to the person with a coupon to get them to come in. We all thought that was scary and swore that 'WE' would never give up 'OUR' personal information like that...yet here we are.
No cards needed now. Our wifi APs will track not only device MAC addresses but also Bluetooth IDs from devices that come within range. We don't use those features, but they're designed to map and track the flow of traffic through and past retail stores, and push ads.

With the iphone, I run it in low power mode all the time. It keeps the GPS turned off, Siri, auto updating and a pile of other crap turned off. I also go in and shut off all the software that I don't need, and for what is left on, I deny the ability to track, leave cookies, use the microphone, ect. I don't even connect to my email or bank via the phone. It's helped over the last few years, as I am down to under a hundred spam emails,texts or phone calls per week.

With the iphone, I run it in low power mode all the time. It keeps the GPS turned off, Siri, auto updating and a pile of other crap turned off. I also go in and shut off all the software that I don't need, and for what is left on, I deny the ability to track, leave cookies, use the microphone, ect. I don't even connect to my email or bank via the phone. It's helped over the last few years, as I am down to under a hundred spam emails,texts or phone calls per week.
Huh. I don't do any of that, and I get fewer than half a dozen spam emails and average zero to one spam call/text per week. I attribute that to the fact that I don't use Facebook. I am on LinkedIn, which is the cause of about half the unwanted email and phone calls I do get.

Admittedly the email part is because I have my own mail server with very aggressive filtering -- Greylist, Spamassassin, and an extensive filter list that includes most of the newer top-level domains and several entire countries. On my to-do list is implementing an IP filter that will block all attempted connections from mail servers (and attackers) in any IP address assigned to China, Russia, and a few other countries.

Huh. I don't do any of that, and I get fewer than half a dozen spam emails and average zero to one spam call/text per week. I attribute that to the fact that I don't use Facebook. I am on LinkedIn, which is the cause of about half the unwanted email and phone calls I do get.

Admittedly the email part is because I have my own mail server with very aggressive filtering -- Greylist, Spamassassin, and an extensive filter list that includes most of the newer top-level domains and several entire countries. On my to-do list is implementing an IP filter that will block all attempted connections from mail servers (and attackers) in any IP address assigned to China, Russia, and a few other countries.

My spam filter for email is the ability to forgot to check my email for weeks (occasionally months) at a time. :D:p:D

I had someone text me asking if I wanted to go to the Bahamas and if I could fly us if we went. I called them and had a brief discussion. Sat back down at my desk and I had an email from AOPA with a link to their "how to fly the Bahamas" page.... I'd never talked about it or discussed the idea previous to that 5 minute period....

I’m always getting ads from Airbnb and priceline since I’m always out of town.

I gave up trying to hide my personal information long ago. I've been in every security breach except all those slimy dating apps. Every kid in China has my security clearance info on their fake Disney lunchbox.

I use a Pinephone.

How did the jeep dealer get your number?? The apps might be listening (yup, for awhile now) but I don't think they have a way to get your number.

Also... did you spring for that tru-coat? :D

How did the jeep dealer get your number?? The apps might be listening (yup, for awhile now) but I don't think they have a way to get your number.

It depends on what permissions you give them. Some of them are downright creepy as to which info they say they need access to.
That's why it's better to use the website than an app if possible.

The data mining companies have huge databases on all of us that include names, addresses, phone numbers, associates, family members, employment, DOB, likes, dislikes, hair color, real hair color, pet's middle name, elementary school mascot, etc.

No cards needed now. Our wifi APs will track not only device MAC addresses but also Bluetooth IDs from devices that come within range. We don't use those features, but they're designed to map and track the flow of traffic through and past retail stores, and push ads.

Yeah. That's what I was getting at. 20 years ago we (at least everyone in that class) were saying "No way would we let someone track us like that!" But I can reasonably bet that all those people (me included) have their location services turned on and have gig or terabytes worth of personal data floating around on the interwebs today.

Here’s what I want to know. Should I start drawing social security when I turn 62 in five weeks? All the videos YouTube pushes to me say do it, but all the articles in my Apple News feed say to wait.

It's not just that. Your IP address is used to drive some of it. If I look at something on my computer or phone, my wife will start getting corresponding ads in her Facebook feed. Even if you use a so-called "private" browsing window. It's one reason VPNs are gaining popularity.

Yep, all same network in my case. That's the only commonality of the 3 computers. Been looking at vpn's

Here’s what I want to know. Should I start drawing social security when I turn 62 in five weeks? All the videos YouTube pushes to me say do it, but all the articles in my Apple News feed say to wait.
YouTube: This new Social Security rule is INSANE
News feed: 22 Social Security strategies that they don't want you to know, #11 is jaw dropping

Only way to avoid it is get an old school flip phone. We are now a commodity for marketing and research.

Crap shoot. IMHO anyway. My “financial advisor” said its best to wait until I’m 70 to maximize the annual payout. He’s 30-ish, so I’m not sure that’s a sound strategy, given the family history and my own health. I’m going to start as soon as I’m retired.

Crap shoot. IMHO anyway. My “financial advisor” said its best to wait until I’m 70 to maximize the annual payout. He’s 30-ish, so I’m not sure that’s a sound strategy, given the family history and my own health. I’m going to start as soon as I’m retired.

I am not a financial advisor.

Imagine you have two funds (A and B) to draw money from for your retirement. For the purpose fo this discussion, ignore the required minimum distribution that kicks in when you hit 72 or whatever the age is. If A is earning a higher rate than B, you would probably want to take funds from B first, right?

Well, right now social security monthly payments increase around 7% to 8% for each year you wait to start collecting after age 62. If your retirement funds aren't earning that (7% to 8%), then it would seem to make sense to defer collecting social security. If your retirement funds are earning more than 7% to 8%, then it would seem to make sense to start collecting social security now and leave as much money in the retirement funds so that they can keep earning a higher yield.

Another consideration is the so-called breakeven point. If you compare what you would get starting at 62 with you would get starting at 70 - at what age would you breakeven, 75? 77? If you don't expect to live to that long, then start collecting now.

But, there are all sorts of other considerations, like tax bracket, RMD, etc etc

I am not a financial advisor... just SGOTI

FWIW, I've heard of some financial advisors recommending starting to take out at 62, in order to free up money for them to invest at higher rates. Maybe makes sense, seems more likely just to benefit the advisor and friends. All that said, I have no idea.

My two cents: if you don't need the money at 62, wait at least until your full retirement age. And if you don't need the money then, wait until 70. I took mine at 66 but needed it then. Now, age 77, I really don't need it, and could have a larger benefit if I had been able to wait. YMMV.

I am not a financial advisor.
8< snip…
I am not a financial advisor... just SGOTI
Me too. Everyone has to make their own decisions. I have a brother in law (former, I guess; my sister passed a few years back) who told me they had a retirement fund that they never touched or even looked at. They just had “a guy” who manages it all for them and sent statements once a quarter or so to tell them how much money they had. I understand that but I don’t get it. I could never just blindly put my faith, and my entire retirement, in someone else’s hands and just hope they know what they’re doing.
FWIW, I've heard of some financial advisors recommending starting to take out at 62, in order to free up money for them to invest at higher rates. Maybe makes sense, seems more likely just to benefit the advisor and friends. All that said, I have no idea.
I don’t think there’s a one-size answer.

Back