NA - Slow Drivers.

I'm not sure what it is, but atleast in Colorado if there's someone in the left lane doing 55 in a 75, it's 9/10 going to be a Subaru. This has taught me to hate subaru's with a burning passion.
I've heard them referred to a as Lesbarus. Any explanation?

That right there is something I had never heard. So what did they do with the cars to make them more appealing to that demographic?
This is from an episode of the podcast "Planet Money", that I enjoy, and where I first heard the story.

KING: Subaru spoke to a bunch of owners and discovered, yes, lesbians loved those four-wheel-drive Subarus - loved that they could handle all types of weather and were roomy. In the early '90s, though, most big companies didn't advertise directly to gay and lesbian consumers because they were afraid of alienating heterosexual consumers.

But Subaru took a risk and hired a tiny New York ad firm, Mulryan/Nash, that specialized in this type of work. John Nash was the creative director. He says Subaru executives wanted the ads to be subtle. And this is what made this ad campaign so memorable. In print ads, John used inside jokes that were obvious to lesbians and gays but not really to anyone else.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/19/498504383/how-a-revolutionary-ad-campaign-helped-to-turn-around-subaru

Also - if it's a blue subaru it's now a bluebaru :D

That right there is something I had never heard. So what did they do with the cars to make them more appealing to that demographic?
forester1228150044.jpg

I didn't say I'd do a buck twenty to avoid slowing somebody down for two seconds; if I'm happy going five over, let's say that's 70 in a 65, but am baaaaarely passing the guy on the right, and somebody is rapidly gaining on me, I'll go 72-74 mph in order to "hasten the pass".

I don't feel like the extra three MPH is endangering my family. Maybe you're right at the cusp of control of your vehicle at the speed you're going; if so, I'd be scared to speed up 3-4 MPH too.

That is pretty much my method. If I am less than 10 mph over the speed limit and am holding up traffic in the left lane, I will bump it up to +10 to get past the right hand traffic and then move over However if I am already at +10, I normally won't speed up but I will move over when I can. To me that is just being courteous and treating others as I would want to be treated. Unfortunately, too many people do not operate that way these days.

Today heading home from work on I-485 on the west side of Charlotte, traffic was moving slow and was packed tight but you could see that there were three cars leading the pack running side by side and there was a huge stretch of highway ahead of them that was pretty much void of cars. This happens nearly every day. Ridiculous.

We bought an Outback while living in Eau Claire, WI.... an area that sees 4 mo of winter and road surfaces of packed snow. Up there they were probably one of the most common vehicles you'd see for entirely obvious and practical reasons. I didn't hear about the lesbian stereotype until some time after we had it...

Anyway, after recently having been forced by an ice storm to resort to the hardship of having to actually drive for a 5 hour trip I can verify that they are perfectly capable of keeping up with the fast lane traffic.

Speaking of said trip, I experienced the exact kind of scenario where slow drivers can get people killed... fortunately it didn't go that way. We'd traveled far enough south that temperatures were well above freezing so even though it was raining I wasn't worried. A couple of people were I guess scared of the rain or potential ice even though it was 40 out and were doing about 40-50 in a 70 zone. One decided to pass the other but chickened out partway and just cruised alongside them(WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?). Huge semi came over a hill and had to slam on his brakes... damn near creamed the guy in the left lane. Fortunately it wasn't actually slippery out. I get being careful but you need the extra 2mph bad enough to pass another car when you're scared to? Really?

This is from an episode of the podcast "Planet Money", that I enjoy, and where I first heard the story.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/19/498504383/how-a-revolutionary-ad-campaign-helped-to-turn-around-subaru

Well, I think all demographics like cars that can handle all types of weather and are roomy. That is hardly gay specific. But I do know that many folks (both gay and straight) are affected by celebs so if they used gay celeb endorsements, it would probably have an impact.

I'm a bit of a "slow driver" but how does this morph into Subaru is for lesbians?

While we're at it... are VWs still for gays?

Then there are the bisexuals and transgenders. What cars do they prefer?

Well, I think all demographics like cars that can handle all types of weather and are roomy. That is hardly gay specific. But I do know that many folks (both gay and straight) are affected by celebs so if they used gay celeb endorsements, it would probably have an impact.
I didn't know about the marketing until recently but people have been teasing me about driving a Subaru ever since I bought the first one in 2003.

I'm a bit of a "slow driver" but how does this morph into Subaru is for lesbians?

-because internet.

Other than that, we could investigate your questions but will probably get spanked. Might be worth it.

A couple of months ago on a three-lane freeway I spot a guy being tailgated by a cop in the left lane doing less than the speed limit. They're being passed by people in the middle and right lanes. Yup, the guy got pulled over.

Does that mean the primary esthetician decides the speed limit?

Please continue this list of states who choose to disregard the federal mandated maximum speed law. We'll send that up to the Transportation department, cut their road funds, and spend the money on the military. The funds lost at the state level can be recaptured by enforcement/fines. Actually a better way to fund local roads in my OPINION.

Aw, autocorrect! Thanks Steve Job, a gift from beyond the grave! :)

And AFAIK prima facie speed limits do not violate federal grant restrictions... you just have to show that some percentage of traffic complies. LA traffic helps a lot with that!

Paul

VWs for gays is another new one on me if you are being serious.

I did hear though that transgenders go for convertibles. ;)

It is all so ridiculous though to stereotype certain cars being for certain types of people. Next you will be saying mini vans are for soccer moms. Ok, that one is probably right.

Last edited:
Man I have had a bunch of convertibles! You mean I'm not who I thought I was? :eek:

Man I have had a bunch of convertibles! You mean I'm not who I thought I was? :eek:
No, now you are whatever you think you are. Think you're a woman, then you're a woman. Think you're a man, then you're a man. Think you're 6PC, then you're 6PC. It's easy for you, but harder for the rest of us to know what you are. :)

No, now you are whatever you think you are. Think you're a woman, then you're a woman. Think you're a man, then you're a man. Think you're 6PC, then you're 6PC. It's easy for you, but harder for the rest of us to know what you are. :)

But but SkyDog says I'm a transgender, wouldn't I know? :confused:

Hey, I just know what I read on the stall wall in that truck stop restroom.

Well yeah, but I mean now you have me wondering about me, and it's almost Christmas, and family already bought my gifts thinking I was who I am, but am I what they think I am?

Well yeah, but I mean now you have me wondering about me, and it's almost Christmas, and family already bought my gifts thinking I was who I am, but am I what they think I am?
You are what you aren't which is likely to be something very different.

Does your family log into POA? ;)

Maybe they bought you garter belts to go with your christmas stockings. :D

But if I are what I ain't why I be something different....
I said your are what you aren't which is very different from being what you ain't. I think we are progressing to the real issue you want to address. Please schedule another session for next week and in the mean time please color in this book until you feel better.

I said your are what you aren't which is very different from being what you ain't. I think we are progressing to the real issue you want to address. Please schedule another session for next week and in the mean time please color in this book until you feel better.

Crayons! WTF are the crayons?

Back