[NA] Shielded Cat VI cable

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I need to run two 100' lengths requiring shielding.
Never worked with shielded before.

Trying to figure out the terminations (which I will be doing, have done regular Ethernet/RJ45 connectors; have tool)

Looks like either of these will work:

there are multiple hits when googling this subject

a couple are:

Presumably there is no difference in connectors used, between Cat 5 through Cat 8?
I prefer the crimp style but I suppose these will work?
Hard to buy pre-terminated cable because I am not exactly sure on the length. I'd either run short or have excess loops in awkward places.

I suppose these are ok?

there are multiple hits when googling this subject

a couple are:

wow, that is detail info, thanks.

If you need a 200' run, use 200' cable and crimp both ends rather than two 100' cables. I would suggest using a decent cable tester as well. I would also consider using two directional wireless access points instead of Ethernet cable.

If you need a 200' run, use 200' cable and crimp both ends rather than two 100' cables. I would suggest using a decent cable tester as well. I would also consider using two directional wireless access points instead of Ethernet cable.
ha that turns out to be funny; this is to connect two point to points, each to their devices in separate buildings 1/4 mi apart.

Assuming this is for within each building, I'd suggest using pre-made cables, too. Even with a good crimp tool and connectors, it's a PITA, and unless you have the connector and wire dialed in it's often not reliable. When I did wiring as part of my job I bought patch cables whenever possible.

Next, the wire you listed is copper plated, and that means solid wire. My experience has been that crimp connectors aren't reliable for those. That wire is designed to be terminated to a female connector by a punch down tool, or tool-less female connector. Next, being plated it might be fine in an office environment where it never moves, but you might want to look for 100% copper if it's damp.

If you're needing shielding, I'm going to guess it's near TIG welding equipment, because I don't know of much else that would interfere with CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet. For shielding, I'd try to ground the shield on one side, and to the chassis, not within the wiring of the socket. Only one side because you do not want ground current flowing through the shield, and to the chassis because you don't want to bring noise to the termination of the network jack. Just my 2 cents...

If you've really got a noise problem, try fiber, try running your unshielded cable in EMT, try big snap on ferrite beads on the cable near the computer connection - within an inch or so if at all possible.

If this is between buildings, I'd consider a different plan.

Good luck!

ha that turns out to be funny; this is to connect two point to points, each to their devices in separate buildings 1/4 mi apart.

Longer runs can be done with fiber. Don't need shielding with fiber. Well, ok, not quite the same shielding. But if you are concerned about EMI, then fiber is definitely better than copper.

coax can also handle longer runs. Making your own coax is probably less difficult. (don't know which is more expensive)

The shielding is only required b/c it is a spec called out by the devices I’m using.
No noise generating equipment nearby, no cables. Could prob use UTP.

I'd probably run regular, then, unless the RF environment is really nasty, like welding, plasma cutting, etc. The only time I've run into interference that would affect ethernet on cat5 is when the pairs were wired wrong. The noise immunity is very high. Or just run pre-made shielded, and make sure that you only ground the shield on one side.

Very little to add here except that I, on custom run lengths, would terminate with female end points. You don't need a custom tool and they are pretty easy to create.

I must be missing something. You have two pair of devices that are a 1/4 mile apart and you're going to connect them with 100' of cable?

Or are the pairs of devices within two buildings? If that's it, does it matter how far apart the buildings are?

Out of curiosity, what are these devices which require shielded ethernet cable?

I must be missing something. You have two pair of devices that are a 1/4 mile apart and you're going to connect them with 100' of cable?

Or are the pairs of devices within two buildings? If that's it, does it matter how far apart the buildings are?

Out of curiosity, what are these devices which require shielded ethernet cable?
Hi Don, I’ll try to explain better:
(although I’m not fully versant on the terms or details)

Starlink—shielded cable in attic—bridge device on building exterior—1/4 mi air link—bridge device on 2nd building—shielded cable in 2nd attic—router(?) to local network.

I get some cables ordered; case closed - help offered is appreciated.

An interesting aside... In the US (and other places), unshielded Cat 5 cable is the norm. In Germany shielded Cat 5 cable was legally required. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. But we had to test (EMC testing) with both to make sure our products were compliant with EMC requirements with both. Oh well...

An interesting aside... In the US (and other places), unshielded Cat 5 cable is the norm. In Germany shielded Cat 5 cable was legally required. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. But we had to test (EMC testing) with both to make sure our products were compliant with EMC requirements with both. Oh well...
I'd bet either someone with a strong opinion or industry influence on the regulatory committee that made the standard. I've run unshielded cat5 w/ 100baseT on it, in areas where it was so RF hot that little blue arcs would form if the doors on the equipment lockers weren't grounded, and there wasn't any problem.

Back