[NA][RANT] Keep your toddler AWAY from work day!

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
<RANT Volume="LOUD">
I appreciate the desire to expose children to the concept of their future as mindless automaton droids in the corporate future of their life.

I appreciate that children are intended to learn about what mom and dad, or mom, or dad, or mom and mom, or dad and dad, or mom, dad and zebra (whatever) do during the day and to learn how they will be expected to earn their keep someday.

And I appreciate companies getting behind the concept.

But I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL why 3 through 6 year olds are being brought to work to serve as nothing more than a surrogate day-care for a day, running around, making lots of noice, destroying productivity for those people who are considerate enough NOT to bring their screaming little bundles of joy to the office.
</RANT>

Thank you.

I can't wait till Sean is old enough to come to work and torture the sour pusses :) My company sets 8-12 as the age limits, so it'll be a couple years. Darn.

At our company, we limit it to 6-14 year olds. They have a structured day doing activities run by different departments, and they get 1/2 hour to see where "Daddy" works (actually more like "Mommy" here) and time to eat lunch together.

We used to go all the way up to 18, but the activities for the older kids were more like informative lectures than fun activities, and that group dwindled.

This year's group is VERY well behaved.

We banned it after 9/11. Like a lot of things I'm certain 9/11 was just a convenient excuse.

I never saw it as more then a very disruptive silly waste of time.

Hey, this is pretty cool.

The Seeing Eye just came in with a few guide dog puppies to demonstrate the training to the kids. They're demonstrating basic training protocols ("sit", etc) for the puppies being raised to be seeing eye dogs.

I'm glad to see it - I donate a decent amount to these folks every year.

Thankfully, Comcast will only allow those kids that are school age to come in, and they can only stay during certain hours.

I like kids, but not at work. I'm there to work.

NickDBrennan said:
Thankfully, Comcast will only allow those kids that are school age to come in, and they can only stay during certain hours.

Then I'll assume you and anyone else yakking about productivity are at home while posting... like I am right now? :D

Joe Williams said:
Then I'll assume you and anyone else yakking about productivity are at home while posting... like I am right now? :D

LOL - yeah actually, I don't go in to work for another 2 hours. When we're slow I post here. When we're busy, I post here while I'm ignoring customers.

This forum has become an obsession for me I think....heh

Joe Williams said:
Nope. I post from work while I'm running jobs like compiling code or sql scripts. My workday is generally a blend of periods of itense concentration followed by periods of intense boredom while I wait on this computer or that computer to do what I told it to do. I post during the bored periods.

When I'm writing those jobs or those scripts, I need to *($@&#) concentrate, not have high pitched screaming 5 year olds running around behind me.

As it happens, today I'm lightly loaded (tomorrow is my last day at this client), and trying to set up our new server for PoA. Its not going well and the screaming rugrats aren't helping.

I love kids. I was brought up with the principle that kids should be seen and not heard.

Greebo said:
Nope. I post from work while I'm running jobs like compiling code or sql scripts.
Ok, 'fess up - what kind of sql scripts compile? :rofl:

Greebo said:
Smart alek. You know what I mean!
Me? :D A smart-alek? :no: :rofl: However, after I posted, I flashed back...way back, to writing code with Oracle's Pro*C and Pro*Ada...sort of compiled sql... at least, the C or Ada code was compiled and the sql code embedded within was interpreted when the whole thing was executed...

gkainz said:
Me? :D A smart-alek? :no: :rofl: However, after I posted, I flashed back...way back, to writing code with Oracle's Pro*C and Pro*Ada...sort of compiled sql... at least, the C or Ada code was compiled and the sql code embedded within was interpreted when the whole thing was executed...
Interestingly enough, Microsoft.NET 2.0 in SQL Yukon (SQL Server 2005) will support any .net complaint language being used inside SQL Server as sprocs/functions and will be compiled...

..ok so its C# (or VB.NET), not SQL, but its STILL compiled! :)

Or, SQL packages on the AS/400, especially when the SQL is embedded in another development language (like RPG/ILE).

(I got your back, Chuck.)

NickDBrennan said:

i'm here to play with nasty chemicals and diseases on someone else's dime.

and i don't really like kids, so having them around (which they aren't in our labs yay!!) in general irks me.

(yeah, i know i'm a curmudgeonette. no maternal instinct for OPKs (Other People's Kids). Please don't stick your baby in my face just because I'm female, i don't want to hold it :hairraise:. or change it. or get puked on. it won't be cute for another few years anyway. On the other hand, if you want to sell them for Scientific Experiments....

Greebo said:
Nope. I post from work while I'm running jobs like compiling code or sql scripts. My workday is generally a blend of periods of itense concentration followed by periods of intense boredom while I wait on this computer or that computer to do what I told it to do. I post during the bored periods.

When I'm writing those jobs or those scripts, I need to *($@&#) concentrate, not have high pitched screaming 5 year olds running around behind me.

As it happens, today I'm lightly loaded (tomorrow is my last day at this client), and trying to set up our new server for PoA. Its not going well and the screaming rugrats aren't helping.

I love kids. I was brought up with the principle that kids should be seen and not heard.

Sounds like me. Lots of down time but when its up you need to work fast and focused.

corjulo said:
Sounds like me. Lots of down time but when its up you need to work fast and focused.
Down time? What the heck is down time?

Get the work done, then go flying. The joys of self-employment.

sierra said:
i'm here to play with nasty chemicals and diseases on someone else's dime.

and i don't really like kids, so having them around (which they aren't in our labs yay!!) in general irks me.

(yeah, i know i'm a curmudgeonette. no maternal instinct for OPKs (Other People's Kids). Please don't stick your baby in my face just because I'm female, i don't want to hold it :hairraise:. or change it. or get puked on. it won't be cute for another few years anyway. On the other hand, if you want to sell them for Scientific Experiments....

Amen sister! :yes: I have ZERO maternal instinct, especially for little kids. I suppose they are cute and all... but no thanks. I also hate being in line behind the screaming kids at grocery stores, movie theaters etc, etc. I'll just never understand how parents can tune out the noise. :dunno:

sierra said:

How much? :goofy: LOL.

Dustin

ausrere said:
Amen sister! :yes: I have ZERO maternal instinct, especially for little kids. I suppose they are cute and all... but no thanks. I also hate being in line behind the screaming kids at grocery stores, movie theaters etc, etc. I'll just never understand how parents can tune out the noise. :dunno:

It's simple. Self preservation. Try not to "take care of business" with the kids in public, especially now a days. Get the kids out to the vehicle and still try not to kill them, could be cameras in the parking lot. Once home though, it's another story! DISCIPLINE time, kiddos. Of course, the kids know this, so they are already on their best behavior before arriving home, but still, sometimes........

No, I do not abuse my kids. I do spank, though.

Dustin

Dustin said:
How much?

For my two I guess I could get enough to buy a really nice Seneca. Of course, without the two kids I wouldn't really need a Seneca so I guess I have to keep 'em.

Len

I have 3. I suppose I could get a real nice plane or planes for them. Hmmm.

It isn't about banning 'take your child to work' day, it is more about the manners of people in general. About half the world abdicates their personal responsibilities; be it child rearing, most stupid way to use homecleaning chemicals, driving.... If people had consideration for others, it would be a whole better world! Children included. Parents need to teach it, but since they don't have any, how can we expect the children to?

Greebo said:
<RANT Volume="LOUD">
I appreciate the desire to expose children to the concept of their future as mindless automaton droids in the corporate future of their life.

I appreciate that children are intended to learn about what mom and dad, or mom, or dad, or mom and mom, or dad and dad, or mom, dad and zebra (whatever) do during the day and to learn how they will be expected to earn their keep someday.

But I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL why 3 through 6 year olds are being brought to work to serve as nothing more than a surrogate day-care for a day, running around, making lots of noice, destroying productivity for those people who are considerate enough NOT to bring their screaming little bundles of joy to the office.
</RANT>

Thank you.

There were about 20 kids wandering about the boat yard today, I put em to work cleaning up.

Greebo said:
<RANT Volume="LOUD">

</RANT>

Thank you.

Daddy, what does this big red button on the wall do when I push it???

And her I thought TYCTWD was all about teaching women that they needed to dress a certain way in the workplace...

(ducks and runs to the other thread)

ausrere said:

heyyyyy, I don't either... are we on to something here?

but I guess with your own it's different. that is what they say.

wsuffa said:
And her I thought TYCTWD was all about teaching women that they needed to dress a certain way in the workplace...

right! in jeans and a lab coat!

or short skirt, tight blouse and a lab coat.

(depends on if you are "staff" or "student". Our female PhD students tend to be anorexic twigs with short, tight skirts and too much makeup). like this--->:blowkiss:

wsuffa said:
(ducks and runs to the other thread)

RUN, Little bunny, Run you Renegade <-: :goofy:

Last edited:
woodstock said:

it is, and it isn't. i used to do anything to avoid taking mine to public places when they were small because i didn't want to subject anyone to Kid Stuff.

And i didn't want to beat them in public:no:

But as time went by they turned out more and more like me :hairraise: .... the boy in ways i can deal with and the girl in ways i have a hard time with. Thankfully they are pretty much grown (not up, you know that doesn't happen till, what, 35?) and can help out and not make me as nuts. And i can leave them alone and trust them.:dance: And most of the time I even like them!!

A mini rant to add to yours, Chuck. Anyone remember when it was take your daughter to work day? The whole purpose behind this was the supposed fact that girls lose a lot of self esteem between the ages of (approx) 9-10 and 14-15. 1) I think this is more of a parent problem but let's ride with this for a while. So the idea was to do something special for the girls, and to show them what Mom, Dad and/or Chuck's Zebra does during the day. So who decided this should be a free-for-all with boys and girls of all ages? You may debate the value of the original program, but for sure the way it has evolved, it ain't doing nothing for the girls with the problems.

-Skip

woodstock said:

I used to cringe when I'd be on an airliner and a screaming little meanie would be in the seat near me, and I'd look daggers at the parents.

Now, I feel compasion for both the parents AND the little ones, and usually give them that "I know where you're at" smile.

That, and earplugs good.

sierra said:

You are a nice woman and you know it :)

I'm with you on the OPK thing. I never had kids of my own and my inexperience shows. At this point in my life my outward appearance seems to be one of "doting matron". I guess I am going to have to punk my hair and change my wardrobe to dispell that.

Kids are fine, don't get me wrong. I am glad my sister and brother raised children. Maybe if I am nice to them they'll see to it my skinny, wrinkled old butt lands in a decent nursing home. On the other hand, that's what trusts are for, isn't it? I like to think that people with the power of the vote will use it for the betterment of our society and I REALLY hope that their idea of "betterment" agrees with mine.

When Gen X Rules The World

Carol said:
I like to think that people with the power of the vote will use it for the betterment of our society and I REALLY hope that their idea of "betterment" agrees with mine.

Don't count on it.

That said, those of us that Baby Boomers will have a few things going for us as we age:
  • We will at least gotten off our but done some physical activity during our lives and not played Xbox, Nintendo and Game Boy our entire life.
  • We will not have been raised on McDonalds 6 times a week so we should be healthier as we age.
  • We out number the Gen Xers 2 to 1 and we can gang up on them.
Len

ausrere said:
Amen sister! :yes: I have ZERO maternal instinct, especially for little kids. I suppose they are cute and all... but no thanks.

Careful how you say that. Last woman I heard publically express that view was a former co-worker (Sr. VP level). She now has two, and has cut back her work schedule to 2 days a week. She'd rather spend time with the kids.

And she is a perfectionist.

wsuffa said:
Careful how you say that. Last woman I heard publically express that view was a former co-worker (Sr. VP level). She now has two, and has cut back her work schedule to 2 days a week. She'd rather spend time with the kids.

And she is a perfectionist.

Wellll, considering that it would be physically impossible for me after my surgical menopause, I doubt I'll have to worry about that! :D

What tiny little maternal urges I might have had were easily cured by baby-sitting my sisters two.. and that only usually lasted a very short amount of time (not to mention hasn't happend since they were acutally baby-sitting age). I love 'em, but I don't want to raise 'em.

woodstock said:

We Could be! Having never had any, I guess I'll never know if it's different with your own or not.

My sister has two, but I don't recall them being that bad about screaming and crying. Could be that I just wasn't around 'em much when they were I guess. :)

What I REALLY used to hate, was when I was working in uniform, and some child would be really throwing a fit in public and the parent would try to use me as some sort of control device. It used to p*** me off when the parent would say something along the lines of -- "If you don't behave, I'm going to have that officer put you in jail." My usual response was "Please don't tell your child a lie like that. It's not true, and it will make them afraid of police officers." What I really wanted to say was "That's not true kid, I only put mean adults like your mom/dad in jail, not little kids." But, I never wanted it bad enough to risk the days off without pay! :D

sierra said:
it won't be cute for another few years anyway.

Kids are cute as an evolutionary survival tool. Sometimes it's the only thing that keeps the parents from killing them. :D

sierra said:
On the other hand, if you want to sell them for Scientific Experiments....

That reminds me of the sign at the sword shop at the renaissance festival:
"Unattended children will be sold as slaves...or food."
The 'slaves...or' bit was partially painted out.

Sometimes a few of the parents will bring their kids in to work before school. Nice kids that get to play on a computer before someone comes in or help out or sit under a desk playing by themselves.

The best is the occasional afternoon when someone will bring their dog in for a few minutes. All works comes to an instant stop but everyone is so much more relaxed and happy for days after that. I think puppy day should be mandatory at least once a week.

Back