[NA] Question about contact lenses

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
So last year I got glasses.

Today I got to thinking contact lenses would be maybe an option to consider but I got to thinking.
I only wear glasses when I am trying to read things a monitor's distance away.

My glasses make anything else blurry.
So how do people wear contacts all day?

I think I am far sited. If I got contacts, I would need to take them out to drive or pretty much do anything other than work at my desk.

How do contacts work that people don't have to take them out when they change scenes?

thx.

I’m near-sighted but I wear contacts all day, everyday. Without them I’m blind as a bat. My prescription is a -7.25L and -7.00R.

If you’re far-sighted, the contact prescription will be a + value. It basically just corrects the weakness in your near-sighted vision, so it wouldn’t help with distance, but it doesn’t seem like it would be the best solution.

I like contacts much better than I do eyeglasses. I can see better through them and I can wear sunglasses! The only problem is when you’re in a hurry to leave in the morning and you put them in wrong and it feels like someone stuck a knife through your eye...ouch!

Last edited:
You are far sited? What is that exactly?

Anyway, contacts are not in your future. They are not appropriate for aging eyes. Getting old sux but it beats the alternative.

It means that he can see distance without correction, but requires glasses to see things up close, like reading a magazine or something. Basically it’s the problem that arises after you hit 40.

:)

Anyway, contacts are not in your future. They are not appropriate for aging eyes. Getting old sux but it beats the alternative.

It looked like I typed it correctly.
Not wearing glasses.

I've worn contacts my whole life until the last year or so, I started wearing glasses full time. and it sucks. if all u need is reading correction, contacts typically aren't the way to go. old man readers are. I just got a set of contacts that correct for far vision but I'll still need glasses to correct up close. I just feel far more comfortable wearing a good set of shades during the day that I'm willing to start carrying glasses for reading. it sucks all around but not much u can do.

It means that he can see distance without correction, but requires glasses to see things up close, like reading a magazine or something. Basically it’s the problem that arises after you hit 40.

:)
That would be far sighted. Far sited would be working remotely or something not close by. I understand that as a youngster you don’t comprehend these things.

Glasses and contacts are effectively the same from the perspective of you're adding a correcting lens to the ones God gave you.

If you're nearsighted (I am), you get glasses or contacts to help with distant vision. If your original distant vision wasn't too bad, maybe your near vision is still good enough to function normally despite the lenses trying to fix your distant vision (but hurting your near vision). But as you age your eye loses its flexibility and can't adapt as well, so what happens is the glasses or contacts that fix your distant vision wreck your near vision. So either you remove them to see up close, or maybe you get bifocal or trifocal glasses, or maybe Torx contacts that act like bifocals. The other option is multifocal contacts.

In your case, your distant vision is still good and you need readers. But the readers wreck your distant vision. Therefore you take the readers off when you fly or drive, and maybe the instruments on your panel are a bit blurry, but you can still read them and see at a distance.

So... People who wear contacts all day either have plenty of eye flexibility to adapt, or they use the contacts to fix the biggest vision problem(s) and use readers or other means to deal with the lesser problems that result from the contacts. I hate this solution because it requires you to wear contacts and probably use readers.

Me? When I wear contacts, I wear multifocal lenses which give me a decent compromise between near and far. But when I wear them, I have neither the good near vision I have without correction or the good distant vision I have with my glasses. But the overall balance is better for daily use...

That would be far sighted. Far sited would be working remotely or something not close by. I understand that as a youngster you don’t comprehend these things.
And that’s what you asked about. You asked what far-sighted is, but now you act like you already know what it is...? I’m a veteran contact and eyeglass user. Near-sighted means you can see things up close, but struggle to see distance. Far-sighted is just the opposite, which is why Bryan has to wear glasses. I comprehend well. Thanks.

I've worn contacts my whole life until the last year or so, I started wearing glasses full time. and it sucks. if all u need is reading correction, contacts typically aren't the way to go. old man readers are. I just got a set of contacts that correct for far vision but I'll still need glasses to correct up close. I just feel far more comfortable wearing a good set of shades during the day that I'm willing to start carrying glasses for reading. it sucks all around but not much u can do.

I'm nearsighted. For years, if my prescription o ly changed a little, I'd keep my glasses and get prescriptjon sunglasses. So something was always old prescription, not quite clear.

Then i discovered www.zenni.com and after testing the optics on el cheapo sunglasses (which I now wear in the pool and on the lake), I get 3 pair for less money--transitions for wearing all the time, and two pair of sunglasses (one pair each live in my truck and my wife's car). Now last year's glasses and shades live in the plane, for when I forget the other pair in the truck . . . . You haven't lived until going flying after work, still wearing your prescription shades and the sun goes down before you get back. Then the landing light blows and your choice in an unlit, fuzzy landing with no glasses or an unlit landing with sunglasses on so you can see clearly in the darker sky . . . .

And that’s what you asked about. You asked what far-sighted is, but now you act like you already know what it is...? I’m a veteran contact and eyeglass user. Near-sighted means you can see things up close, but struggle to see distance. Far-sighted is just the opposite, which is why Bryan has to wear glasses. I comprehend well. Thanks.
No. I asked what far sited was. Your response is incomprehensible in this setting. I must assume that you are incapable of rational thought.

The phenomenon that forces us into readers in our forties is presbyopia. That is we lose the ability to accommodate from far to near. You can be normal sighted or far sighted (hyperopic) and require readers. A near sighted (myopic) person typically does it the other way around: they wear correction for distance and simply take off their glasses if they want to read something. Or, if they are like my wife who wears contacts for distance, they may use readers for close like the rest of us.

Just as an aside. Don't sleep in your contacts and stay away from extended wear contacts. You only have one set of corneas, an infection caused ulcer in your visual axis can put an end to your flying career.

No. I asked what far sited was. Your response is incomprehensible in this setting. I must assume that you are incapable of rational thought.
You’re either trolling to create conflict or you’re very confused. You need to go back and read. You asked what far-sighted was and I told you and then you reply back and say
That would be far sighted. Far sited would be working remotely or something not close by.
So you either already knew the answer or you are just here to try and start conflict. I’m not going to play your game.

You’re either trolling to create conflict or you’re very confused. You need to go back and read. You asked what far-sighted was and I told you and then you reply back and say

So you either already knew the answer or you are just here to try and start conflict. I’m not going to play your game.
You attempt to misrepresent my response once again then run away for being called out on that behavior. Your response Is not rational or constructive.

The phenomenon that forces us into readers in our forties is presbyopia. That is we lose the ability to accommodate from far to near. You can be normal sighted or far sighted (hyperopic) and require readers. A near sighted (myopic) person typically does it the other way around: they wear correction for distance and simply take off their glasses if they want to read something. Or, if they are like my wife who wears contacts for distance, they may use readers for close like the rest of us.

Just as an aside. Don't sleep in your contacts and stay away from extended wear contacts. You only have one set of corneas, an infection caused ulcer in your visual axis can put an end to your flying career.
I'd mod that to go with extended wear, but remove them at night.

20 years ago my optometrist asked me about my thoughts on contacts. I told him I had a problem with the concept of voluntarily putting a foreign object on my eyes. He thought that was a wise decision and hasn't brought the idea up since. I wear glasses. Have for years.

Progressive lenses for now until you get older and get to have cataract surgery then it all changes again. Will have my second eye done on November 7th. While we're at it, I'll add a vote for Zenni Optical.

Yeah I agree with you. That @Ryanb dude never knows WTF he’s posting about.

But YOU! Wow man, 5-6 posts and you’re slamming people? Not nice at all.

Yeah I agree with you. That @Ryanb dude never knows WTF he’s posting about.

But YOU! Wow man, 5-6 posts and you’re slamming people? Not nice at all.
The guy was deliberately a tool so he got it handed back to him. Is there some minimum post count required before one doesn’t have to accept fools?

Look, Jay. You started the escalation with your second post in this thread. There was nothing combative in Ryan’s post that warranted your further comments. And he was not being a deliberate tool.

As far as I can see, it seems like you are deliberately provoking a fight. That is not what we are about, here.

Now, if you would like, we can call a do-over.

Hi Jay. Welcome to POA. Would you like to introduce yourself?

Okay, so OP said he was "far sited." @Jay Selched was first with the oft used joke about the spelling. Perhaps the appropriate smileys were missed.

That's how I see it anyway <- See what he did there?

The guy was deliberately a tool so he got it handed back to him. Is there some minimum post count required before one doesn’t have to accept fools?
I catch your original intention (far sited vs. far-sighted) now that someone pointed it out to me, but it wasn’t very clear and I wasn’t the only one who didn’t see the humor, especially after you began acting belligerent for absolutely no reason. We try to play nice around here, so using those kinds of tones on your first couple of posts, doesn’t set a very warm welcome for yourself.

We also have several users who tend to use poor grammar, so it’s difficult at times to know when someone is being intentional and when they aren’t without the use of emojis. No harm done, just keep these things in mind.

Last edited:
Lets see if my answer makes it through the clutter

The eye doc will prescribe a single contact. I can’t explain it, my wife is in the business and she’s gone at a conference so I can’t ask her. But the one contact will allow your brain to use that eye for near and the other eye for distance. (Dominant eye be non dominate)

Some people it works for. Some can’t deal with it (like me) and have to continue to use readers.

The eye doc will prescribe a single contact. I can’t explain it, my wife is in the business and she’s gone at a conference so I can’t ask her. But the one contact will allow your brain to use that eye for near and the other eye for distance.
Some people it works for. Some can’t deal with it (like me) and have to continue to use readers.

Please expand on this when she gets back. I would like to not use readers.

[Edit: I had written "I would like to leave the readers behind." That had many opportunities for misinterpretation. ;)]

so what are these, just cheap glasses so u can get a bunch of them and keep them everywhere? do any of them get darker when u wear them outside in the sun?

They are high quality, low cost glasses for those of us who don't want / don't like / can't have contacts. Transitions to change darker outside is an option that I have on mine, but the glass in car windows prevents the change just as it prevents sunburn on your arm. So I have sunglasses that live in my truck and I change when getting in / out as necessary.

I've worn glasses since I was a kid, and my vision was 20/400 with astigmatism. Coke bottle lenses. For a couple years I tried contacts. They worked, and I generally preferred them to glasses but they are a pain to deal with. I ended up getting Lasic several years ago and what a game changer. They were able to correct my vision to 20/15 and it's still about as good except that near vision is getting difficult, but that is a separate issue.

I would not hesitate to recommend it but generally, it is not a good choice for far sighted people as material needs to be removed from the edge of the lens, not the center as in a short sighted condition. PRK is an option for far sighted people.

Lets see if my answer makes it through the clutter

The eye doc will prescribe a single contact. I can’t explain it, my wife is in the business and she’s gone at a conference so I can’t ask her. But the one contact will allow your brain to use that eye for near and the other eye for distance. (Dominant eye be non dominate)

The FAA calls that monovision, and it's a big no no as far as medicals go. I use Bausch and Lomb for presbyopia contacts. I have the correction for far vision as well as the ability to read up close. With this type of contact you give up some degree of far vision, but I pass the tests and find it acceptable. My wife tried these, but didn't like the reduction in far vision.

If you git yer painties in a knot about spellin round here you'll soon have more posts than @denverpilot.
Some of us are frum Kentucky an dont reed too good no how so it dont matter none.
But welcome to the porch!

I've got a very mild prescription for far farsightedness that I got just a couple of years ago in my early 30s, never had glasses before then. I thought briefly about contacts but I decided it wasn't worth it as I don't really need glasses. I only really wear them when driving or flying because it does reduce eyestrain/fatigue quite a bit even though I'm not required to wear them for either. Biggest problem I have is getting in my car and being at the end of the driveway before I notice I'm not wearing my glasses.

I will also give a second recommendation on https://www.zennioptical.com I got a pair to replace the expensive pair I got at the optometrists's office and they work just as well for about 1/6th the price. I got the ones with the auto-darkening lenses, anti-glare coating, etc and it was still less than $50 with the frames and everything. I'll probably buy from them again, one thing I would like to get is dark prescription sunglasses if that exists. The one thing I don't like about the auto-darkening ones is they don't darken at the end of the day for some reason and they don't get as dark as I'd like even though they're good enough 90% of the time.

The one thing I don't like about the auto-darkening ones is they don't darken at the end of the day for some reason and they don't get as dark as I'd like even though they're good enough 90% of the time.

UV and blue light drives the darkening feature. The shallow sun angle leads to most of the UV getting filtered. The red range frequencies get through and are still quite bright.

The FAA calls that monovision, and it's a big no no as far as medicals go. I use

Monovision contacts are a no-no for flying. As they diminish your depth perception the FAA believes that it contributed to a regional pilot bowling over a localizer antenna some years back However the FAA doesn't govern what contacts you wear outside of the aircraft and outside of the AMEs office. Just make sure you have a set of spectacles that allows you to pass th vision test and wear it while flying.

If you just need reading glasses, www.Readers.com has a decent selection. I wouldn't give them prescription quality, but for the price (especially on sale) they're good...and great customer service.
I use the bifocal sunglasses all the time. Perfect for flying, driving, cycling, or just working outside. Keep a pair or two in flight bag, vehicles, etc.

Bryan,
Progressive glasses. Fly w/o them, or fly with them at night to see your flying monitors. Look over the top of them like all of us guys that are 40+, then put sunglasses over them for the full-on effect.

Back