NA - Moving sucks... also, time to find a new job.

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I have to be out of the house today.
Travel for work tomorrow. (Also so I can bring my RV back from one of our sites so that I have a place to sleep at night.)
Then I have to have everything cleaned out of the storage areas attached to the hangar by the end of the month.
From that point forward it is month to month on the hangar.
Last load in the cargo trailer is going to Tennessee soon.
Somewhere in all of this I need to find an internal position with my current company that is near my house in Tennessee or I need to find a new job. (Absolutely love the company I work for, but I'm not going to self fund a 100% travel position indefinitely. Yes, it is self induced, but it is still the reality of what I have just started doing.)
Anyone looking for a project manager with experience running large automation/SIS projects for the chemical industry, a bit of a nuclear background, and LOTS of experience using/implementing IBM's Maximo computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) software? Roll that up with being able to fly my own plane when I need to travel for work, and I'm in!

This was meant to be a short post about moving sucking. Sorry for the life story!

That is all.

Moving's not too bad. College was my 14th town, now I'm in #22.

Add up places I've lived, I'm in dwelling #42, the fifth house that I have bought (and the only one I still own). This covers eight states and two stays in the Far East.

Bought the plane in '07, it's now hangared at it's fourth airport.

Pack well, and pad what's fragile.

Over the years, the airline moved me 9 times. Three times in two years, once. My oldest son went to three different middle schools. I've owned 9 houses and a condo. One at a time. Moving sucks, even when someone else pays for it.

I've lived in:
North Dakota
Maine
Ohio
Illinois (turned 2)
Oregon (6 years)
Mississippi (4 years)
Missouri (2 years)
West Germany (2 years)
Missouri (2 years)
Tennessee (1 year)
Florida (1.5 years)
South Carolina (2.5 years)
Washington (4 years)
South Carolina (3 years)
Tennessee (10 years)
Kansas (2.5 years)
Hopefully back to Tennessee soon. Moving back into the same house we lived in before. We still own it and they finished the repairs from the fire, so we are moving back in. It feels like home. Now I just have to get the work thing to line up again.

It used to be that work was supposed to provide for your life. Now our lives have to provide for/accommodate the job. What a tragic erosion in expectations. Living is more than being able to pay the rent to me. This has become more self-evident the older my parents have got, considering my now long-term absence from home since college and the military.

Of course it didn't help I pulled this stupid idea of trying to make a living flying airplanes. Bonehead is as bonehead does. Domicile displacements are always a possibility, but I figure if I can be within driving distance to a junior domicile, living in a place we can actually see ourselves raising the kiddo, employment for the wife, easy short airline access for the granparents and otherwise an area we enjoy, then the paycut would be a payraise in QOL. I've moved to enough hellholes for the military. I ain't doing it for an airline job.

Last edited:
I've lived in:
North Dakota
Maine
Ohio
Illinois (turned 2)
Oregon (6 years)
Mississippi (4 years)
Missouri (2 years)
West Germany (2 years)
Missouri (2 years)
Tennessee (1 year)
Florida (1.5 years)
South Carolina (2.5 years)
Washington (4 years)
South Carolina (3 years)
Tennessee (10 years)
Kansas (2.5 years)

Isn't that a Johnny Cash song :)

Texas
Maine
Japan
Texas
Maine
New Hampshire
California
Louisiana
Texas
North Dakota
South Dakoa
Nevada (20yrs)

Trying to figure where to go for retirement.

I have lived in 9 different states and 1 foreign country for over a year each. Some states were repeats and I have moved within states so I have probably moved close to 20 times. I have also spent several months in other states and countries on temporary duty. Seems like we have all done it. I would imagine if more people were willing to move just a small fraction of what we have, unemployment would plunge. We do what needs to be done to be employed, others should as well.

** Edit** I'm hoping that North Carolina will be my last.

Last edited:
Hey, it appears that I have company growing up like a gypsy! :confused:

Virginia
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Georgia (kindergarten)
Virginia
Japan
Georgia
North Carolina (started high school)
Georgia
North Carolina
Tennessee
Georgia
Alabama (graduated from college)
Japan
Georgia (bought first house)
North Carolina
Ohio
West Virginia
Alabama
another Alabama town (current residence)

We'll just have to see about retirement; the WV house was and this one is suitable for retirement living. I just have to reach retirement age with suitable funding. Would have been nice to get enough land for a turf runway, but . . . . .

When you move around like that to you have a sense of home at all?

Moving does suck. No question about it. And when my employer of just over 20 years wanted me to move about 2 1/2 years prior to my planned retirement, I told them "no thanks" and retired early. That was a year ago and I don't miss the place at all.

When you move around like that to you have a sense of home at all?

I've always said, "home is where the furniture is."

I've met a lot of good people in a lot of places, including my travels to 46 states so far and a dozen-odd countries. But I do hope I'm stopping for a while, it's nice here!

I think we've had a similar thread before, and I'm the boring guy who's lived mainly in one place most of my life.

I traveled a LOT domestically for work long ago, however, and had the floor plan of Courtyard Mariotts memorized by the time I was 26, practically living in them for years when I was a field engineer, so I guess that was plenty of travel around the US and Canada. Earning 100,000 mile status back then actually meant upgrades not just a chance of them, and I did that using only domestic travel, so I have had enough of the inside of human mailing tubes being operated by high speed aluminum tubing operators from the rear seats, anyway.

Mexico I go to willingly pretty regularly, and Canada was great other than the retarded questions about why I was there to work... "because the customer told me to get my ass up here." "Is there anyone in Canada who can do this job?" "Hell if I know lady, they called me, so I'll assume they couldn't find anyone." Canadian customs never liked the 20-something smartass, but I was usually tired and just wanted to finish whatever stupid telecom project had brought me to the Great White North and go home, I didn't really care too much about Canadian's labor import/ export political problems.

I haven't had much opportunity to wander off the continent much, but don't really have any problem with doing that either. I'd go. I'm an easy traveler.

A few places I'd like to see, but not going to regret it if I croak before I do.

Moving completely a whole lot sounds tiring. I'm more likely to put the Homefront in mothballs and find temporary housing at the other end, but obviously that's not an option for a lot of folks. I've been lucky in that I've always been able to do longer stints almost like a TDY. Lived briefly in LA, Chicago, and kinda in and out of Houston a lot when family was there. Didn't find crowded cities much to my liking. Great food, nice night life, but way too many idiots crammed into one place, in all three of those cities. Denver has caught up on a square mile per idiot basis in the last ten years or so, but the move out past the suburbs has handled that problem pretty nicely for us both.

We are both pretty pragmatic. We've said we'd move if we had to, and I, sure we would. We just haven't ever had to, so far. I'm pretty sure at this point in my tech career as long as I live near enough to a major airport or could fly a more capable airplane out of a smaller one, I'd always be able to get to any "in person" work I would ever want or need. Karen has to stay near population centers with her nursing specialty, but it doesn't have to be a huge population center. Especially now that she's been a Director of Nursing a couple of times, she can pretty easily go just about anywhere and work too. We just like it here for now. We also have the fifth wheel now if we ever felt a need to trip and try out somewhere new for a while. Since we own the sticks and drywall outright, we could button it up and it'd be here when we got back.

We've moved a number of times in this area, and I'll agree -- moving does kinda suck. The only really good part is you always shed the crap you shouldn't have collected when you move. Each time you collect a little less useless stuff. You learn it just owns you, and your time.

Back