[NA] Motorcycle advice

Stop at my place and maybe we can ride the last 60 miles together.

Might happen. I haven't done a major motorcycle ride since I got the airplane. But I was riding to MERFI a little while ago, along a bucolic country rode. Didn't matter when I got there. I realized how much I enjoyed doing that, and why I started riding in the first place. I think I'm about due.

Baloney. The non ABS rider doesn't know how to ride. Guy's a shill for what you're selling. The other video, looks like a Bandit to me. Heavier and not as tweaked as a race replica, which is what I ride, so no, ABS or not it won't have the stopping distance.

But here we go with superior judgement. I don't ride as fast on wet roads, and I don't assume I'll be able to make a maximum performance stop. And that goes into every last action I make on rainy days. But yes, I've had to stop short plenty of times. But I was already moving slowly, and was well within the bike's performance envelope. And no, I didn't end up sideways. Most riders don't.

This also goes toward technique. Yeah, mash the brakes for everything they're worth and the bike will spin and do all sorts of unpleasant things. Brake firmly but gently, increasing pressure as you decelerate, and mostly on the front for sport bikes, for a maximum performance stop that won't leave you sideways.

ABS is just a crutch. A good rider can stop sufficiently quickly that the difference isn't going to matter. The thing only very rarely kicked in on my convertible, usually just because I was checking to see if it was there. God, I hated that. And I drove that thing through Ohio winters with snow and ice. Didn't need it at all, and I certainly don't need it on my bike.

Traction control is just a crutch. Throttle discipline will keep the front wheel on the ground. I neither need nor want crutches. Been riding too long to want help from a machine.

Last edited:
FWIW -- I've been riding motorcycles since, well,
313901_10150966701434051_1261804992_n.jpg

As my daily transportation and more cross country trips then I can count. Thankfully I seemed to get most of my motorcycle "crashing" out of me when I was that size and bounced well. A well implemented ABS system is of value on the street. If I were going to have to stop quickly on a wet surface, perhaps through an intersection with road paint, I would be very glad I have a good ABS system (that is the real world). If I were to stop quickly in perfect conditions it wouldn't matter so much but the system on my Concours most certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure I would personally make a buying decision based on the advice of someone that claims stopping distances that are simply impossible by the best riders in the world, as the there simply isn't enough tire contact with the road to achieve such a feat on any street bike. Especially since that person's amazing stopping skills caused them to rear end a car:
steingar said:
I'v had to file a number of claims in my life, and I have never had anything less than complete satisfaction. Heck, the insurance rate on my Goldwing went down after I rear-ended the soccer mom and her land yacht, and they had to pay about ten years worth of premiums on that one. Then again, I've been a customer of theirs for about 30.

For those of us that aren't better then the best riders in the world in ideal conditions -- there is a LOT of value in a good ABS system on a motorcycle. I was skeptical when I first rode a bike with such a system but after much testing I've came around to appreciate it.

With that, I'm done preaching the value of ABS. There are plenty of motorcycle magazine articles on the internet showing the test data.

You got me there, Jesse. I rear-ended a soccer mom in a land yacht on my Goldwing. The fork seals had gone on the wing and leaked fork oil all over the brakes, and they didn't work very well at all. I admit, I was very lazy about replacing the brake pads and it came back to bite me on the six with that crash. Needless to say, along with patching up the front fairing and fixing the rest of the crash damage, those brake pads got replaced.

I've had two crashes on that stupid Wing. One was Murphy plain and simple. I don't care what kind of gizmos you have on your bike, when I guy steps right in front of you on a cold, wet, rainy foggy night unexpected things will happen. Murphy can claim anyone. The other, well I have to admit, with the house and all the other stuff, I don't always do maintenance on a schedule I'd like. I should have been doing oil changes this weekend. But the deck needed painting.

I think I've been riding longer than you've been breathing. I've ridden more kinds of bikes and more bikes. I've ridden the West Coast, the East Coast, and lots of stuff in between. I've ridden the length and breadth of Mexico in the process. Those two low speed crashes on my Goldwing (the first touring bike I've ever owned) are the only ones in all that time. There's my entry into our little pi$$ing contest.

Well, well, I've been macking longer than either of you guys have been riding, so there....

Go for a ducati multistrada, street bike performance, upright seating, can take it off road if you want, an all in one package.
Do you know anything about the Ducati Monster 696 or 796?

I am thinking about buying a new street bike next spring. The large majority of the time I will ride it 5 miles to work or 20 miles to the airport. I might take a few short trips of 60 to 200 miles each year. I am more concerned about comfort than performance. I am considering a HD probably either a Sportster (1200 Custom, SuperLow or Iron 883) or one of the Triumph Classics or a Speedmaster. I really wanted a Triumph when I was younger so I am leaning toward one of these models. Unfortunately the nearest Triumph dealers are a good distance away so I would have to trailer it if I need any major warranty work. I had several different street legal dirt bikes growing up and most recently a Suzuki DRZ400 until I got tired of off road riding a few years ago. Can anybody give me advice on choosing between any these motorcycles?

We've had a Triumph Bonne since 2005. NEVER had to have any warranty work done on it. I do all the maintenance (what little there is) myself. Next to the new NC700 we just picked up, the Bonne is the smoothest running bike we own. Unfortunately, its the forward control America model. I no longer care for that style of riding, so its up for sale.

Beautiful high maintenance Italian bikes. :) Almost bought one, got a Guzzi (Breva 750) instead. That's a not quite as high maintenance Italian bike.

If I were in the mood to buy a Ducati, I'd have to pick up a Panigale to go with my Guzzi Scura. Not very comfy on long trips, but dang, what a kick in pants to ride.

Last edited:
We've had a Triumph Bonne since 2005. NEVER had to have any warranty work done on it. I do all the maintenance (what little there is) myself. Next to the new NC700 we just picked up, the Bonne is the smoothest running bike we own. Unfortunately, its the forward control America model. I no longer care for that style of riding, so its up for sale.
What is a forward control America model? I'm not too worried about warranty stuff. I would probably pay out of pocket to have a local mechanic do the repairs unless it is a major problem. Compared to airplane maintenance it should not seem like a big deal.

I commute on a 2002 Honda Shadow VT750, I also get 55-60mpg, with that higher gear ratio sprockets, It is a great commuter (20 miles each way for me) but only comfortable for about an hour max for me, but I am not long distance rider.

Brian

My Shadow was good for about 50 miles. Mustang seat w/backrest made all the difference. An 800 mile day no longer made me feel like I got run down by a freight train.

the monsters are pretty nimble good looking bikes, the air cooled ducati's arent really that high maintenance either. Check the valves and change your valve belts, and thats the most of it. DIY isnt that hard.

They definetly arent power houses, but have plenty of that down low grunty torque. You are going to sit more up right than a street bike.

I have a good friend with an 01 ST4 that he loves, toss panniers on it, grab the misses and go!

No dealer will ever tell you this, but..... the older air cooled ducati's (before the testrasetta) after your 12k service the valves are pretty much a non issue. The shimming is only to make up for the valves 'setting' into place. ymmv, but i checked mine at 11k, reshimed them, and checked again at 15k, they hadnt moved a bit. Ill do it again at 20k and forget about thIem.

After all, a desmodromic L-twin in a trellis frame is just pretty too.

I rode this beast from cinci to Boston, non stop. Wont do that again!

1522c601.jpg

What is a forward control America model? I'm not too worried about warranty stuff. I would probably pay out of pocket to have a local mechanic do the repairs unless it is a major problem. Compared to airplane maintenance it should not seem like a big deal.

I let the dealer do the first service on it, since we were new to bikes and I had no idea how to do anything to them. Do it all myself now. the only maintenance I've had to do on this bike is a valve adjustment (were a bit loose), oil changes, brake fluid swap. And tires.

Its a 'cruiser' style control setup, feet are more forward than on the other models
2007-Triumph-Bonneville-America-2_zps0699faed.jpg

Last edited:
First one is a multistrada, his feet are just infront of him, full bags, sport bike performance, off road capable with the right tires. and upright seating for comfort. The new ones have a selector for the type of riding you are doing.

second is an ST4, sport tourer. feet are slightly back, but not uncomfortable, more sporty.

Attachments

• multstrada.jpg
    multstrada.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 10
  • st4.jpg
    st4.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 7
Best advice I think i can give is go to dealers and sit on what you think you want. get a feel for it, sometimes there are dealer test rides too.

Best advice I think i can give is go to dealers and sit on what you think you want. get a feel for it, sometimes there are dealer test rides too.
I will but since many of the dealers are a considerable distance away I am trying to get as much practical information as possible to narrow down the field. I am very grateful for all of the advice provided in this thread.

I will but since many of the dealers are a considerable distance away I am trying to get as much practical information as possible to narrow down the field. I am very grateful for all of the advice provided in this thread.

Sounds like a good excuse for a flight. And you should plan a trip down here to go to the Iron Pony to pick up some gear.

I hear nothing but good things about the Ducs. I know a guy who put 200,000 miles on his monster with little mechanical input. They're expensive when they break, but they don't break often.

There are big bike shows every winter where the manufacturers come and show off their wares. Good chance to compare to and contrast, the one in Chicago is February 8. Nice to be able to sit on a bike and check out the ergos.

A bicycle would be better for a 5 mile commute. You get a work out.

For a cruiser I would go for no less than 1200cc. Acceleration is safety.

A bicycle would be better for a 5 mile commute. You get a work out.

For a cruiser I would go for no less than 1200cc. Acceleration is safety.
If we had a bike path I might consider it but I would rather dodge traffic on a motorcycle than a bicycle. Also, I don't want to get to work all sweaty and it would take a lot longer. I work long hours so I really don't have the luxury of an increase in commuting time.

If we are entertaining the thought of a bicycle commute for five miles how about a scooter? A Honda Elite is ultra reliable, low maintenance and gets about 100 mph. Can't take it on the freeway of course but for surface streets, it's great.

(That's my primary mode of transportation in Southeast Asia, btw.)

My Shadow was good for about 50 miles. Mustang seat w/backrest made all the difference. An 800 mile day no longer made me feel like I got run down by a freight train.

You are tougher than I am. The stock seat on my Shadow would cause pain in less than 20 miles. Fortunately my commute is less than 7 miles.

And for me, the Corbin seat was the solution. I just didn't like the Mustang seat (but Kudos to Mustange for letting me return the seat).

If we are entertaining the thought of a bicycle commute for five miles how about a scooter? A Honda Elite is ultra reliable, low maintenance and gets about 100 mph. Can't take it on the freeway of course but for surface streets, it's great.

Thanks for the advice but would you want your cardiologist to arrive to work on a scooter or something a little more impressive? Two of my partners ride Harley Softails and would never let me live it down. It's simply not gonna happen. As I stated earlier I am dealing with some serious midlife crisis issues. When I was younger I wanted something better than a 250 cc 2 stroke Honda and now I can afford it. I'm not trying to be especially practical.

Understood. Scooters are like fat chicks. Fun to ride but you don't want your friends to catch you one one.

Understood. Scooters are like fat chicks. Fun to ride but you don't want your friends to catch you one one.

You sound like you have experience with both. I can proudly say I have experience with neither.

:D

Two of my partners ride Harley Softails and would never let me live it down.

Your partners have great taste. I've owned a few softails over the years and absolutely loved them. They look good, sound good, ride great.

My basic transportation needs could be met with an over-sized scooter and that's not gonna happen.
Awww, man. I once saw an astonishing scooter with BMW badges on a Cali freeway, doing 70 mph with no trouble. Really wanted one, but apparently they stopped making it.

Not a big Harley guy. I'd go Duc, Triumph (look at the triples) or BMW. A sport/tourer sounds good.

I have never given a fat rotten hairy merde what anyone thinks of what I ride except possibly Mrs. Steingar. Possibly. Had she nixed the sport bike we might have put that one to the test. I've never given a skinny fresh bald one about it either. If a scooter fit my mission I'd' buy one (almost did). Heck, I bought a Goldwing, Honda's answer to the Caddy. Sure drives like one.

All I've ever cared about was what I want and need. Put another way, I wouldn't think much of a cardiologist who didn't buys scooter because he was afraid of what people would say about him. Personally, I think the guys who bought soft tails were cheated. They paid too much for a heavy, underperforming bike with mediocre build quality. But hey, to each his own. I think you should show up on a CBR1000rr and challenge them to a race.

My dream bike is a wing with a built in boom box that makes it sound like a Harley.

I have never given a fat rotten hairy merde what anyone thinks of what I ride except possibly Mrs. Steingar. Possibly. Had she nixed the sport bike we might have put that one to the test. I've never given a skinny fresh bald one about it either. If a scooter fit my mission I'd' buy one (almost did). Heck, I bought a Goldwing, Honda's answer to the Caddy. Sure drives like one.

All I've ever cared about was what I want and need. Put another way, I wouldn't think much of a cardiologist who didn't buys scooter because he was afraid of what people would say about him. Personally, I think the guys who bought soft tails were cheated. They paid too much for a heavy, underperforming bike with mediocre build quality. But hey, to each his own. I think you should show up on a CBR1000rr and challenge them to a race.

My dream bike is a wing with a built in boom box that makes it sound like a Harley.

My issue with the Wing is it has very little get up and go, the only bike I've ever ridden about which I can say that. It is a liter bike (1100 cc) but is sufficiently heavy to be somewhat underpowered. These days the bikes have car engines in them.

Given the acute danger from motorists, I like the ability to get out of the way fast. That I don't have on the Wing, and I've counted a number of situations where I could not have powered out of a potential sticky spot. Don't like it.

Dang! That's one FAST scooter!!!

Almost doesn't count.
All I've ever cared about was what I want and need. Put another way, I wouldn't think much of a cardiologist who didn't buys scooter because he was afraid of what people would say about him.
I would. The fat chick analogy is exactly right. A scooter just wont do.
Personally, I think the guys who bought soft tails were cheated. They paid too much for a heavy, underperforming bike with mediocre build quality. But hey, to each his own. I think you should show up on a CBR1000rr and challenge them to a race.
I don't know why my partners are so partial to Harleys. I worked for one of the leading heart failure/cardiac transplant cardiologists in the country and he rode a Harley. We lived in Milwaukee at the time so that could have something to do with it. I'm just trying to get more information before I shell out my money. I really miss riding.

I do have a Mustang seat, but mostly I am just a wimp. Even on my wife's Roadstar 1600 with a backrest 120 miles is about the max I want to do.
She, on the other hand, can do 600 miles easily on either bike. :)

Brian

Steingar, are you calling a Gold Wing a "wing"? If so they have a lot more than 1100 CC engines. The current generation is 1800 CC and has about 100 HP and a very flat torque curve. The last generation which was the 1500 I would consider a little underpowered. Of course you may not be talking about a GL.

Gary, is there a reason you do not what a Harley big twin?

Gary, is there a reason you do not what a Harley big twin?
No but I just can't decide at this time. We have the Japanese bikes and a Harley dealer within a couple of miles from where I live. A Harley seems a little overkill for commuting to work but so would a Ducati, BMW or Triumph. The Suzuki V-Strom 650 would probably be the most practical choice. It will be difficult to decide and I may eventually get 2 bikes. Why not? Life is short. Just don't tell my wife. She is not enthusiastic about my interest in motorcycles. I have until Spring to sort this out.

Life is short as you say. You know my feelings on this matter. Make your partners drool. They deserve it.

I own an Aprilia RSVP Mille R and a BMW R1200 GS Adventure. I've had around 20 bikes and the BMW is hands down my favorite. I can drag my knee on the BMW while looking at my gps and warming my hands with the built in handwarmers all while carrying tons of gear for a weeklong trip. It's amazing how versatile it is, plus it's super easy to work on (once you have a good set of torques). Recommend BMW!

Steingar, are you calling a Gold Wing a "wing"? If so they have a lot more than 1100 CC engines. The current generation is 1800 CC and has about 100 HP and a very flat torque curve. The last generation which was the 1500 I would consider a little underpowered. Of course you may not be talking about a GL.

Mine is from that wonderful historical period we all call 1983, and sports an opposed four cylinder 1100cc engine. Yeah, the ones now have engines bigger than the one in my car.

Back