[NA] Motorcycle advice

Gary F

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Gary F
I am thinking about buying a new street bike next spring. The large majority of the time I will ride it 5 miles to work or 20 miles to the airport. I might take a few short trips of 60 to 200 miles each year. I am more concerned about comfort than performance. I am considering a HD probably either a Sportster (1200 Custom, SuperLow or Iron 883) or one of the Triumph Classics or a Speedmaster. I really wanted a Triumph when I was younger so I am leaning toward one of these models. Unfortunately the nearest Triumph dealers are a good distance away so I would have to trailer it if I need any major warranty work. I had several different street legal dirt bikes growing up and most recently a Suzuki DRZ400 until I got tired of off road riding a few years ago. Can anybody give me advice on choosing between any these motorcycles?

As an MSF instructor I would not recommend either Sportsters. They are not comfortable if want to head out on a weekend ride. The 883 is an underpowered bike IMHO.

I would recommend the Night Train, Low Rider or Dyna Wide Glide as a better alternative.
Also, check out the Victory motorcycle line.

I agree with the long distance to get warranty work completed on the Triumph.

Enjoy your search.

I don't know....Sportsters are relatively inexpensive, and for the distance you're going they're not uncomfortable. For longer rides, yeah, but for 5-20 mile trips your back will never feel it. As for being underpowered, you'll notice a difference between the 883 and larger bikes and really, I'd think an 883 would be the ideal size for 5-20 mile trips.

DL is right about checking out the Victory line. They're fun bikes. My advice would be to visit all the shops in the area and test drive the ones that get your adrenaline flowing.

I had a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 back in the 80's and 90's well past the era of British motorcycles. By then they were obsolete, odd, not yet retro, and just old. That's why I liked it. I also had a Norton 850 Commando for the same reasons. They just had character.

Look at the new Triumphs even with the logistical issues. Talk to the dealer and see if they have a solution for warranty work like picking it up for a fee.

Gary I love my Triumph Bonneville!!! I have a 2009 T100, the new version are just as fun as the classic ones but without the maintenance headaches. Hey if you come down my way I can take you over to a place that has all the classic british bikes or fly into KJVL and I'll meet you there to go over to the Triumph shop there.

How about a BMW 1200RT? Fairly light handling, you can load the side bags up and put a top case on - good for hauling stuff around. Very comfortable, good wind protection, good performance, factory cruise. And it you want to do a few several-hundred-milers, it's plenty comfy for that.

Rather have a Honda. They work well, and fast. My 954 is faster than anything, but uncomfortable.

Whatever bike you get, make certain it has really, really good response. You are invisible to most cagers except the few who will see and actively try and murder you. Better be able to get out of the way quickly.

Gary,

Check out the Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS. Very comfy for longer rides, light for good handling on back roads, gets about 60 MPG and can be had new for about 7K.

As a retired Motor Officer Supervisor and Instructor, I would recommend this bike highly.

Also check out the bigger brother, the 1000 while at the dealer. The 650 sounds like what your looking for.

Mike in NJ

Any questions I can help with just ask.

Gary... I'm a cruiser/touring guy and currently ride a road couch.. Ultra Classic... but I've ridden quite a few different things (Harley and not).

I would unequivocally recommend AGAINST a sportster. Its riding posture is very uncomfortable in my opinion (its heritage is that of a racing bike, not a cruiser or touring style). The other thing I noticed (the hard way, the first time I rode one) is that the steering has what I would characterize in aviation terms as negative static stability in turns. You have to apply significant force to keep a turn from tightening and you have to pull yourself out of the turn moreso than I was used to on other bikes.

Of the ones you listed, I'd lean toward the triumph. Not sure if they still make the straight-3 cylinder but its one SWEET ride...

Go for a ducati multistrada, street bike performance, upright seating, can take it off road if you want, an all in one package.

I have a sportster 1200 custom that I got this year, and I love it. I have put about 3000 miles on it this summer. That being said, the bigger cruisers are a bit more comfortable and if you don't have a budget then by all means step up to a bigger bike. Triumphs are nice and victory is making some nice bikes also. No one will be able to tell you what you will like, you just need to be able to try some out.

Cheers

Gary I love my Triumph Bonneville!!! I have a 2009 T100, the new version are just as fun as the classic ones but without the maintenance headaches. Hey if you come down my way I can take you over to a place that has all the classic british bikes or fly into KJVL and I'll meet you there to go over to the Triumph shop there.
I have heard about the Triumph dealer in Janesville. One of my coworker's husband is buying a Triumph Rocket III from them. I'm considering flying down there to check them out as they have a good selection. The Bonneville has a 360 degree firing angle so I would expect a lot of vibration. Is that the case? The Speedmaster and Scrambler have 270 degree firing angle so I would expect they would be a little smoother.

Thanks everybody for all of the advice. I take all of the advice in previous posts seriously and will check out the other motorcycles mentioned. I am a little nervous about getting a really heavy bike so I am leaning toward the smaller versions but agree that more power is probably better. Difficult decisions.

With your usage pattern it will just sit on the stand most of the time anyway, so the only important selection criteria is the cool factor while it's leaning on the stand in the parking lot. So your only viable choice is a big cruiser with ghetto chrome. Nobody stops to look at crotch rockets.:wink2:

I have heard about the Triumph dealer in Janesville. One of my coworker's husband is buying a Triumph Rocket III from them. I'm considering flying down there to check them out as they have a good selection. The Bonneville has a 360 degree firing angle so I would expect a lot of vibration. Is that the case? The Speedmaster and Scrambler have 270 degree firing angle so I would expect they would be a little smoother.

Thanks everybody for all of the advice. I take all of the advice in previous posts seriously and will check out the other motorcycles mentioned. I am a little nervous about getting a really heavy bike so I am leaning toward the smaller versions but agree that more power is probably better. Difficult decisions.

With your usage pattern it will just sit on the stand most of the time anyway, so the only important selection criteria is the cool factor while it's leaning on the stand in the parking lot. So your only viable choice is a big cruiser with ghetto chrome. Nobody stops to look at crotch rockets.:wink2:
Some truth here. My basic transportation needs could be met with an over-sized scooter and that's not gonna happen. I want something that is really cool and fun to ride. I'm also dealing with serious nostalgia and mid-life crisis issues.

The scambler and the bonnie have the same engine I am pretty sure and I have heard the 270 degree stuff apply to the T100 bonnie as well. It is very smooth, much smoother than the old bonnies of the 1970s and 60s.

Nobody stops to look at crotch rockets.:wink2:

Chicks dig sport bikes, big time. Do please refrain from mentioning that fact to Mrs. Steingar.

Personally, I think spending thousands on a bike to look cool is plain stupid. I would actually recommend the V-strom, a Teneire, a Tiger or another of the so-called "dual sport" bikes. I have no doubt that there are tons and tons of publicly accessible trails up that way. Might as well get a duro, so you can ride the trails on the days you aren't driving to work. And they are all comfy and capable street bikes as well. I hear nothing but good things about those Susy V-stroms.

They don't look particularly cool, but they'll take you where no other bike will go. Not even my 954.

Triumph Bonnevilles and Scramblers are not crotch rockets, they are SEX. Sadly though they only seem to attract old men when the parking lot. But those old men are thinking of SEX!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Gary,

Check out the Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS. Very comfy for longer rides, light for good handling on back roads, gets about 60 MPG and can be had new for about 7K.

As a retired Motor Officer Supervisor and Instructor, I would recommend this bike highly.

Also check out the bigger brother, the 1000 while at the dealer. The 650 sounds like what your looking for.

Mike in NJ

Any questions I can help with just ask.
Worth a look. How effective is ABS?

Only old men remember them, since they were big news "back in our day." After that, nobody cared. And they're not thinking SEX!, they're thinking SIX! As in cocktail hour then bed-time.

Triumph Bonnevilles and Scramblers are not crotch rockets, they are SEX. Sadly though they only seem to attract old men when the parking lot. But those old men are thinking of SEX!!!! :rofl::rofl:

all of the ladies stare at my crotch rocket, and my sport bike turns some heads too. :rofl:

An L-twin sitting in a trellis frame giving off a nce deep growl always turns heads.

The scambler and the bonnie have the same engine I am pretty sure and I have heard the 270 degree stuff apply to the T100 bonnie as well. It is very smooth, much smoother than the old bonnies of the 1970s and 60s.
Not according to the Triumph web site. I'm not sure how much of a difference the firing interval has on smoothness. I'm sort of leaning to the Speedmaster anyway.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics/bonneville/2011/bonneville

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics/scrambler/2011/scrambler

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/cruisers/speedmaster

Last edited:
Worth a look. How effective is ABS?

I wouldn't get ABS on a bike for anything. I hated it on my convertible (may it rest in peace) and would NOT want it on my bike. No traction control, no steering dampers, no way. Just something else to pay for that you don't need and that will just break anyway.

I still say dual sport, it is just too beautiful up there to not be ridden. All that said, when's the last time you actually rode a bike? Seriously, getting a new bike with little recent experience is just an excuse for loosing money and possibly getting hurt. Check the local market, get a used bike in good condition, something you like. Bikes depreciate quickly, why take the hit? I've never purchased a new bike in my life, never.

I wouldn't pay extra for ABS, but I have ABS and traction control on my Concours C14 - you get it whether you want it or not. I have to say that both traction control and ABS are very effective. But the bike also has linked brakes too, and the rear will go in to ABS mode first on a maximum performance stop. Traction control also serves as wheelie control on hard launches. If you want to launch with maximum acceleration, leave the traction control on. If you want to wheelie, turn it off. If you want to avoid slipping out and going down on a wet, oily road, turn it back on.

I wouldn't get ABS on a bike for anything. I hated it on my convertible (may it rest in peace) and would NOT want it on my bike. No traction control, no steering dampers, no way. Just something else to pay for that you don't need and that will just break anyway.

I still say dual sport, it is just too beautiful up there to not be ridden. All that said, when's the last time you actually rode a bike? Seriously, getting a new bike with little recent experience is just an excuse for loosing money and possibly getting hurt. Check the local market, get a used bike in good condition, something you like. Bikes depreciate quickly, why take the hit? I've never purchased a new bike in my life, never.
I sold my DRZ400 about 5 years ago. In spite of our expansive wilderness there are not a lot of good places to ride a dirt bike legally, at least near where I live. I still might consider one of the larger dual sport bikes (BMW Enduro, Suzuki V-Storm, Ducati Multistrada) capable of riding on most dirt roads. It might be time for me to give up off-road riding and get a dedicated street bike. I have a Jeep Wrangler reasonably well equipped for off-road use and I can carry enough stuff to camp comfortably if I get stuck out in the middle of nowhere. A used bike is a possibility but the other than over priced Harleys and beat up dirt bikes not a lot to choose from in my area.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay extra for ABS, but I have ABS and traction control on my Concours C14 - you get it whether you want it or not. I have to say that both traction control and ABS are very effective. But the bike also has linked brakes too, and the rear will go in to ABS mode first on a maximum performance stop. Traction control also serves as wheelie control on hard launches. If you want to launch with maximum acceleration, leave the traction control on. If you want to wheelie, turn it off. If you want to avoid slipping out and going down on a wet, oily road, turn it back on.

+1, I have a '11 Concours 14 with traction control and ABS -- I was rather skeptical at first but it was standard equipment. I've had no issue with it what so ever and actually do like it. After I bought the bike I did go out on a gravel road and grabbed the front brake as hard as I could, I figured I'd either crash or it'd work and impress me. It worked :)

Gary,

Use caution when taking advice from "SOME" who don't know "JACK" about what they speak. Having said that, I have tested and done some extreme ABS braking at a dedicated driving track with a skid pan made of concrete with some areas painted with traffic paint. On top of this, we were able to flood the skid pan with water and then do high speed ABS tests. Given those conditions, I would like to meet the rider who can out perform the ABS in stopping the bike and keeping it upright better then the computer can. We could argue ABS vs Dynamic braking for hours, in less your a Pro road racer, I would suggest ABS to most street riders.

Mike in NJ

Gary,

Use caution when taking advice from "SOME" who don't know "JACK" about what they speak. Having said that, I have tested and done some extreme ABS braking at a dedicated driving track with a skid pan made of concrete with some areas painted with traffic paint. On top of this, we were able to flood the skid pan with water and then do high speed ABS tests. Given those conditions, I would like to meet the rider who can out perform the ABS in stopping the bike and keeping it upright better then the computer can. We could argue ABS vs Dynamic braking for hours, in less your a Pro road racer, I would suggest ABS to most street riders.

Mike in NJ
Is there a special technique or do you just apply maximum braking if you need to stop quickly on a bike equipped with ABS?

I would second looking into the V-strom I have co-worker that commutes on his and he really likes it, he gets about 60mpg, plus has the option for some off-roading if the urge comes back.

I commute on a 2002 Honda Shadow VT750, I also get 55-60mpg, with that higher gear ratio sprockets, It is a great commuter (20 miles each way for me) but only comfortable for about an hour max for me, but I am not long distance rider.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0125[1].JPG
    IMG_0125[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    949.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Gary,

Curious...

You have like, what?, four days a year that are conducive to riding a bike?

;)

JK

I know your summers are beauteeeful.

Enjoy your search!

Gary,

Curious...

You have like, what?, four days a year that are conducive to riding a bike?

;)

JK

I know your summers are beauteeeful.

Enjoy your search!
We have good riding weather from May until Early October. Why not ride when the weather is nice?

Gary,

Mike in NJ

I've ridden farther and longer than practically anyone. Bikes have been and currently are my only mode of motorized transportation. I can put even some of the stuff Jessie's done to shame, and I did most of that on a 400cc in-line twin.

The superior biker uses their superior judgement to avoid using their superior skills. If you actually need the damn computer you're already lost the game. Like aviation, situational awareness is key, and if you don't have it you won't ride as long or as far as me. I've had to do exactly two full performance stops in 28 years. Without ABS my 954 will decelerate from 45 mph to nothing in a car length and a half, maybe even a quarter. I've done it. I'd like to see a damn computer do better.

Ride whatever you want. I may not think much of Harleys, but lots of guys do, and that's fine. But I never want ABS, traction control, or any of that other electronic crap getting between me and my ride. I've bought my last sport bike, I doubt I could get another without the gizmos. That's fine, I think the 954 is one of the best ever made by anyone.

I might just bail on the aircraft and bring the Goldwing up to 6Y9 next year. Every time I try to fly it rains anyhow. I haven't done a long bike trip in an age, and that could be really fun. Can't imagine much being more beautiful.

Interesting. I wonder why they did that?

Like I said, I think the scrambler and the bonnie do have the same engine. Checking into it a little bit more I found out they do have the same engine with one small exception, the crankshaft and it is to offset that firing angle. Not having driven the Scrambler I cannot comment on the ride, but I know that the Bonnie is very smooth. Especially compared to the old Bonnies that I have ridden.

I think if you are looking for something fun to drive any of those you listed will be fun!!! Go TEST DRIVE !!!!!

My $.02 is that the giant cruising bikes are good if you are gonna do lots of cruising. For goofing off on a nice day for a few miles to a hundred miles the mid size classics are nice. My other preference is for the BMWs. Nice bikes to ride, although some of the newer ones are getting a little too huge!

Last edited:
I've had to do exactly two full performance stops in 28 years. Without ABS my 954 will decelerate from 45 mph to nothing in a car length and a half, maybe even a quarter.
You're a man of science -- I'm sure you can do the math and you'll quickly realize if you do that there is absolutely no way you can go from 45 mph to 0 mph on your 954 in 1.5 car lengths.

I'll even pick a big car for you -- a Crown Vic. It is 212 inches long. 1.5 car lengths of Crown Vic would be 318 inches or 26.5 ft.

45 to 0 mph in 26 feet? Absolutely no way. If you were perfect in your technique you'd be able to do it in maybe 60 ft, on a perfect road, if you were 100% on top of your game. In the real world you'd probably be looking at closer to 80 ft.

You're a man of science -- I'm sure you can do the math and you'll quickly realize if you do that there is absolutely no way you can go from 45 mph to 0 mph on your 954 in 1.5 car lengths.

I'll even pick a big car for you -- a Crown Vic. It is 212 inches long. 1.5 car lengths of Crown Vic would be 318 inches or 26.5 ft.

45 to 0 mph in 26 feet? Absolutely no way. If you were perfect in your technique you'd be able to do it in maybe 60 ft, on a perfect road, if you were 100% on top of your game. In the real world you'd probably be looking at closer to 80 ft.

Sorry boss, I'm a man of science, which is why I believe what I see with my own eyes. I did it on the street outside my lab. I told you, I think the 954 is one of the best sport bikes ever made by anyone. That stop is a piece of my supporting evidence.

Sorry boss, I'm a man of science, which is why I believe what I see with my own eyes. I did it on the street outside my lab. I told you, I think the 954 is one of the best sport bikes ever made by anyone. That stop is a piece of my supporting evidence.
Ok then, considering how the motorcycle track riders on the same bike can't do it, It's pretty amazing you can. Perhaps you should change careers and show them how it's done.

You can find plenty of stop charts for the 954 and other performance bikes done by professionals on tracks in perfect conditions and they're using twice the distance as you.

I also call BS on 45 MPH to 0 in 20-26 feet. Lets pick the game up to like 70-80 MPH to 0 and then see what happens. I will give you that bikes slow very quickly when then are sliding on there sides down the roadway though.

For a little visual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ

Ride safe,
Mike in NJ

I might just bail on the aircraft and bring the Goldwing up to 6Y9 next year. Every time I try to fly it rains anyhow. I haven't done a long bike trip in an age, and that could be really fun. Can't imagine much being more beautiful.
Stop at my place and maybe we can ride the last 60 miles together.

Is there a special technique or do you just apply maximum braking if you need to stop quickly on a bike equipped with ABS?

It's best not to totally mash on the brakes to maximize stopping distance. The less cycling the ABS relief valve has to do the better. ABS is more for preventing wheel lockup than mimimizing stopping distance.

I could PROBABLY stop my bike quicker without ABS, on clean dry pavement while I'm concentrating on it. But probably not by much.

Back