[NA] Met my first psycho killer

meh,
Another girl that sits near us got fed up with WhackJob going off at the mouth and requested to be moved.
They relocated WhackJob to another area in the building.

I am sure she will get promoted now.

Eye drops in the coffee. QUOTE]

Flight attendants would do that if the Capt was an a...hole.

Not to me though, well, as far as I know. Or they didn't put enough in my coffee. :D

Day 5: 3/16/2016
We sit in a small compact row. It is cramped and small but were contractors so not out of the norm.

She says totally out of the blue:

WhackJob: "Oh my God this is a terrible space to work in . What do we do if we have to fart?"

[I dont acknowledge or make eye contact]

WhackJob: "Well if you guys see me get up and walk that way quickly, you'll know why"

The perfect answer to that would have been to let one rip. You were unprepared. :)

Whoa. Came back from lunch and everything she has is gone.
Desk clear, drawers empty.

Off to the gossip corner.

Working at the post office?

She does know where you sit, and concealed carry is legal....

Sleep well, dear programmer....

Her boss came over to our row and explained that they had moved her to our row because she was disturbing people at her prior location and we are a pretty head's down focused working group and she might sit with us and follow suit.

Several people in the area went to HR and said she moves or we move.
So now she is in her own spot away from everyone.

Crazy. This person is a contractor that has been with our company for about a month.
I have a low tolerance for coddling people that can't find a way to maintain homeostasis so to speak.
Especially a $107/hr consultant.

Buh-bye.

This is my new favorite thread. Thank you all (special shout outs to MAKG and DenverPilot for making me spit out my soda twice) for the laughs.

When I remember crazy people like this, it makes me appreciate my wife even more than I already do.

Go, kiss Eren, and tell her you love her deeply.

Well I met a guy who told me he worked worked for the NSA, was a translator in an SR71 over Brazil many years back, claimed to have been to Area 51 and seen triangular shaped alien craft.

Not a the sort of weird guy that just rants and rants about stuff but a bit odd. I chalk it up to the booze. And that's the only weird guy I've ever met. Didn't give off any creepy vibes other than making some outrageous claims.

Doesn't compare to your weird person story though.

Oh. He also claimed that the Learjet was capable of flying supersonic but it was restrict by the nose shape or something. He claimed his buddy modified a learjet that could then fly supersonic and did so over the Atlantic.

Well I met a guy who told me he worked worked for the NSA, was a translator in an SR71 over Brazil many years back, claimed to have been to Area 51 and seen triangular shaped alien craft.

Not a the sort of weird guy that just rants and rants about stuff but a bit odd. I chalk it up to the booze. And that's the only weird guy I've ever met. Didn't give off any creepy vibes other than making some outrageous claims.

Doesn't compare to your weird person story though.

Oh. He also claimed that the Learjet was capable of flying supersonic but it was restrict by the nose shape or something. He claimed his buddy modified a learjet that could then fly supersonic and did so over the Atlantic.

Oh. You met Steve? He was with me when I took my Lear supersonic. Good dude. Kind of strange. Was a helluva backseater in our SR71 back over Brazil though.

Oh. You met Steve? He was with me when I took my Lear supersonic. Good dude. Kind of strange. Was a helluva backseater in our SR71 back over Brazil though.

And I bet you've got Area 51 clearance and saw aliens too.

Does she know how to do her job? I don't know why companies insist on hiring so many consultants, at ridiculous rates, who don't seem to do anything or know anything. And is she hot?

I met my first psycho killer when I was teaching at a university. This kid was nuts. Legit nuts... he even told me some days that he had forgotten to take his meds. It was a science lab with about 20 students and, while all the other students were cranking away on the work, he would be hovering around at my desk asking me to walk him through ever single tiny step of every single assignment. He didn't actually want help, though... he just wanted me to give him the answers - which I wouldn't do. I did my best to be patient, but as the semester progressed, so did his crazy. Before long, whenever he couldn't figure out how to do something, he would start kicking desks, pulling out his hair (literally) and, one lovely day - pacing back and forth screaming. By this point, I was scared (as were the other students) of this kid. I was next-to-certain that he was going to walk in and shoot us up one day. After the pacing/screaming incident, however, I refused to teach without security detail at the door. He was super quiet the rest of the semester and thankfully didn't kill us.

Second crazy was at my last job... very stiff, corporate place that sucked to work at anyway. Then this guy came along to spice things up. He was a lot like your psycho killer... never shut up... no filter on the crazy. At first it was funny and we all loved talking about him and the nutty things he said, but it got old fast. He quickly progressed from entertaining to annoying to creepy and finally to "needs to go NOW" ...the day he actually wore a large hunting knife on his hip to work. I'm still not sure why they didn't fire him on the spot, but he was let go shortly thereafter.

He quickly progressed from entertaining to annoying to creepy and finally to "needs to go NOW" ...the day he actually wore a large hunting knife on his hip to work. I'm still not sure why they didn't fire him on the spot, but he was let go shortly thereafter.

Did he filet a fish on his desk while singing "it's good to be a gangsta"? :eek:

I've been fortunate to never have worked with a nut job. Or maybe it's just that I woudn't notice anyway...???

(Insert sinister laugh)

:)

How was the interview 6pc?

Timwinters if the people around you aren't crazy then maybe you're the crazy one.

How was the interview 6pc?

Timwinters if the people around you aren't crazy then maybe you're the crazy one.

Rescheduled for today.
Really hope it goes well. Looks like a good gig but also I really don't want to renew this contract.

In every office there is always one crazy person. If you can't immediately identify that person, well then.....

Thank God.
This office has it.

We have crazy and vile rage.
I have never in my professional career seen a VP get Nose to Nose with a PM (not me) and scream "HOW THE EFF DID THAT CODE GET IN PRODUCTION! THIS IS EFFING BS" in a room full of stakeholders.

3 HR complaints later and he is still at it.

Thank God.
This office has it.

We have crazy and vile rage.
I have never in my professional career seen a VP get Nose to Nose with a PM (not me) and scream "HOW THE EFF DID THAT CODE GET IN PRODUCTION! THIS IS EFFING BS" in a room full of stakeholders.

3 HR complaints later and he is still at it.

We use to have an executive that would host weekly calls that he referred to as his "red butt" call (except he used the term that would be censored on this board). He would say, "The purpose of this call is to make it go away", meaning when we were exceeding his very aggressive sales targets. He would yell and scream profanities (literally) and call out individuals for more personalized motivation. The participants (including myself) on the receiving end of the abuse were were mid-level executives, college educated professionals mostly with MBAs. Not the sort of people that would require a kick in the pants to get moving. The call would end when he threw the phone against the wall. He finally moved on and he was not missed.

Last edited:
Let's see.

There was the guy who didn't think he had to pay income tax. They came and arrested him at his desk. The bummer was that he was really good at his job - and once he got out of jail, we hired him back.

Another guy was convinced that he had to prepare his income tax and have had enough money deducted, but he didn't have to mail the forms in. And, that the IRS was going to pay him interest on the refund that he was due.

Then there was the guy who was waging an undeclared war with IT. Whatever the approved software was, he had to use something else. He really made his own life difficult. Swearing, yelling, kicking file cabinets, storming out were daily things. I used to sit next to him. We got along just fine.

And the manager who was assigned a office in a building about 10 miles from where all of his guys / guyettes had desks. He was that big of an a****** and couldn't get along with anyone. One day, a buddy was going to interview for a supervisor position under him and asked what he was like. "He is a big ******* *******". The buddy comes back later on and remarked that the guy was a real ******* *******.

etc.

We use to have an executive that would have weekly calls ...
That sounds like a PM I knew with Embassy Suites International back in the 80's when they were still under the Holiday Inn umbrella. He never talked without yelling. No one ever listened to him.

What do those people not understand?

That sounds like a PM I knew with Embassy Suites International back in the 80's when they were still under the Holiday Inn umbrella. He never talked without yelling. No one ever listened to him.

What do those people not understand?

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Does she know how to do her job? I don't know why companies insist on hiring so many consultants, at ridiculous rates, who don't seem to do anything or know anything.

Three words: reduced benefits cost. Permanent hires cost WAY more.

Crazy. This person is a contractor that has been with our company for about a month.
I have a low tolerance for coddling people that can't find a way to maintain homeostasis so to speak.
Especially a $107/hr consultant.
Wait, she talks all day, does nothing AND gets paid $107/hr?
Where do I sign up????????????

Her company bills her at that, she's probably seeing 35-40 an hour.

Wait, she talks all day, does nothing AND gets paid $107/hr?
Where do I sign up????????????

Please. You're amongst brethren who do the same at about half that rate. How else would you explain all these posts mid-day? :cool:

Three words: reduced benefits cost. Permanent hires cost WAY more.

Is that true?
Lets say we pay her 107 which is $214,000 annual expense to our company. And I mean EXPENSE. We aren't capitalizing on this batshidttery in any way.

Let's say she converted at 90-120k. Would benefits (vacation, 401(k), Medical, potential severance) outweigh the cut her employer gets?

Is that true?
Lets say we pay her 107 which is $214,000 annual expense to our company. And I mean EXPENSE. We aren't capitalizing on this batshidttery in any way.

Let's say she converted at 90-120k. Would benefits (vacation, 401(k), Medical, potential severance) outweigh the cut her employer gets?
I know that Government contractors charge about 2x-3x the hourly rate of the employees.

Having her as a contractor also gives the company flexibility if the workforce needs to be reduced. For most companies, 60-day WARN notices are necessary for layoffs. Contractors can be released instantly.

Ron Wanttaja

Well I know in some public sector jobs with good benefits, the total compensation is an additional 45% of salary for a single person with no kids. So, assuming costs were the same for your employer, at 90-120 her total compensation with benefits would be in the neighborhood of 130-174. The company could save themselves 40k.

If, however, she has a couple kids carried on her employer's health plan, each one of those kids is about a 10% increase in total compensation over salary. So if she has 2 kids that'd be 148-198. Still a cost savings, but less so.

Now, private companies tend not to have the same awesome benefits of public sector jobs, so conceivably the cost to the company could be less than the range I provided.... or it could cost them more for less benefits if it's a small company. Even in the case that fewer benefits were provided at a higher cost, I think those two variables (for the sake of ballparking) would cancel each other out.

I'd bet, however, that it boils down to being willing to pay a premium on the ability to pull a #byefelicia when they don't like you, instead of having to worry about having cause to fire you.

For most companies, 60-day WARN notices are necessary for layoffs. Contractors can be released instantly.

Ron Wanttaja
Where? The few times I've been laid off there was no notice. I even found out once that I was going to be let go because they mistakenly direct deposited my last check. I worked one place where people figured out they were being let go because their computer accounts had already been deleted when they showed up for work.

Back