NA Markets and elections NA

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Every election, especially presidential, it seems like there is a story in the news the day after how it affected the markets.
So is anyone planning a move to protect assets or to take advantage of opportunity?

I think people from both sides are investing in Emergency Airline Tickets to Canada in case their side loses . . .

In the end, whomever wins will cause market disruption until investors learn how to deal with the new policies.

But elections CAN have real effects - look at what's happened to the UK pound since Brexit.

If Trump wins I will be buying stock in manufacturers and suppliers of wall building materials.

If Clinton wins I will be buying stock in pant suit manufacturers.

But honestly, this country is too great with too many good people for either one of these two buffoons to cause any real damage. After all, we have survived the last 24 years.

Lets return here after the election, review their analysis

Attachments

• what-do-financial-markets-think-of-the-2016-election_102016_wolferszitzewitz.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Not taking a side here, but the Stock Market dislikes UNCERTAINTY.....so if current polls prove correct should see a modest uptick in equities.

But honestly, this country is too great with too many good people for either one of these two buffoons to cause any real damage. After all, we have survived the last 24 years.

I would agree except the next president will substantially affect two branches of government. And the effect on one of those branches could span 20+ years. Having a strong branch of government that does its job upholding the US constitution has prevented a lot of the buffoons from screwing things up over the last 24 years.

Last edited:
So most businesses that have good management and aren't dependent on Government regs will likely be unaffected in the long run. On the other hand, industries like private prisons, the Defense/Industrial complex, and health care are much more likely to be affected depending on who wins. And health care is a huge portion of the economy these days....

Most estimates say it's 1/6th of it. Think about that number for a minute. It's massive.

If it is 1/6th of the economy, the cost of it would be a high proportion of everyone's income. I do not have a solution and no one does, otherwise we would be hearing about it.

If it is 1/6th of the economy, the cost of it would be a high proportion of everyone's income. I do not have a solution and no one does, otherwise we would be hearing about it.

The solution is baked in. Stagnant wages while companies absorb the higher prices of covering everyone to a $2M lifetime cap and no cap whatsoever on ten essential services.

Most companies aren't passing along the full cost increases directly to employees, they're simply doing it by not offering raises that keep up with inflation.

You have to work for a place willing to share what their portion of your individual coverage is, to really see it. My employer being privately owned and funded, is open with their books about it. Most people are clueless and think the increase they saw on their paystub is covering all of it.

I've been making stock moves and plan to continue on through the election. There will be pro's and con's in the market with either candidate, but I definitely can't see any type of collapse. Carry on as usual and ride the waves.

If Hillary wins, I would expect little to no change in how things are going in general. If Trump wins... who knows, he's a complete coin toss.

Which one of these things is better is up for debate... just not here.

Nice bump in the Dow today after Comey realized the error of his ways.

I've been making stock moves and plan to continue on through the election. There will be pro's and con's in the market with either candidate, but I definitely can't see any type of collapse. Carry on as usual and ride the waves.
The collapse will come later in 2017. Won't matter who is in office. The bull market is going to end and it is going to be very ugly when it does.

And if it makes you feel any better, none of the candidates are even remotely prepared to deal with it when it happens.

So, we've got that to look forward to….

If we start doing trade wars, emerging markets are going to really tank. Chances are the total stock market and the economy will tank also...

The collapse will come later in 2017. Won't matter who is in office. The bull market is going to end and it is going to be very ugly when it does.
I think you're right. A bull market that's gone on this long is unsustainable.
I'll re-enter the market after that 15-20 percent adjustment in the Dow...no hurry. Buy low, sell high!

What Bull ........ Market ........ ?

Nice bump in the Dow today after Comey realized the error of his ways.
He didn't realize any error. Money talks....loud.

If that was anyone else, they would be behind bars, no doubt about it.

Last edited:
raw

I think you're right. A bull market that's gone on this long is unsustainable.
I'll re-enter the market after that 15-20 percent adjustment in the Dow...no hurry. Buy low, sell high!

Depends on how long you think the current bull market has gone on. How long is this one?

And if it makes you feel any better, none of the candidates are even remotely prepared to deal with it when it happens.

So, we've got that to look forward to….
Exactly right. It is unavoidable. The market is cyclical, and it is time for a downturn - this bull market has gone on longer than most.

Other than going into cash, (or real estate, or making loans) what is a retirement investor to do? Bonds?

If that crooked split tail gets in, I'm putting a few thousand into gun stocks. The first shooting after she takes office it is going to be open season on guns and gun owners. Constitution becdamned.

If she can stay alive and walking that long....

Other than going into cash, (or real estate, or making loans) what is a retirement investor to do? Bonds?
I think for new retirees, the advice is to have a few years in safer investments, but the rest of it still in index funds, etc. hopefully your retirement years are going to last more than one cycle so you can recover if the market goes down. And it might go up...

Back