[NA]Long airline trip; need ipad entertainment[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I won't be purchasing in-flight wifi so it has to be downloads I can take with me.

Videos (aviation+educational preferred) ...possibly some amusement type even non-av) or aviation reading would be good.

what does YT have? (I can download those)
are any of the FAA Wings webinars archived & downloadable?

IFR and mechanick-ing interest me. I think I've studied all the major air crashes.

Well, you could download a whole s-load of Battlebots, they're always entertaining:

If you have any interest in military history, this guy puts out some fascinating videos:

This is only about 11 minutes long, but it's worth watching:

Candy crush saga :p

If you haven't seen all of Mike Pateys stuff on YouTube it's awesome.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is awesome and will take out 3hrs.

The Thud pilots special on Amazon Prime was a eye opener...not sure if you can download prime stuff for offline viewing though.

Look into audiobooks and podcasts.

Just off the top of my head Dan Carlin’s Hardcore history podcast is a great one if you want something to occupy you for several hours.

The Finer Points. It's a YouTube channel and podcast. Uncontrolled Airspace is another good podcast.

My problem is that I don't have a good set of headphones for listening. All I have are ear-buds and they let in way too much ambient noise.

My local library offers audio books for free downloading - we've done that on long car trips before, playing through the car audio system.

How about something on previewing, flying, debriefing multiple IAPs?
Or anything on advanced aviation safety?

Last tube I traveled on I took some DVDs with me and watched them on my laptop.

Depending on the airline, you can use the free wifi to watch their movies in their app. You can check what will be playing before you leave on their web site, but a google search is easier to find it "united movies march"

Kindle
I never was much of a reader until I saw Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson speak together at air venture way back when.... I went out and bought Yeager's book and was hooked. Up to that point about the only reading I ever did was text book stuff for school...or for hobbies (flying, SCUBA, etc.). His story was better than any Tom Clancy novel PLUS it really happened! His tales of being smuggled out of German territory after being shot down were as good as any movie. Read Bud Anderson's next..... also awesome!
I've lost track of how many hard backed memoirs like that I read.... every WW2 aviation one I could get my hands on...then i started having a hard time finding new ones so I branched out to Korean war stuff, Viet Nam helo pilots, then WW2 submarine skippers, and some ground based stuff here and there, more modern day aviators and spec ops stuff. Currently reading some books by LRRP guys form Viet Nam...but my draw is the military aviators.
The last couple years I've given up my hard backed books for the kindle app on my phone. I love having it with me to read a page or two while standing in line, or whatever....
so my suggestion is a memoir from your favorite aviator...Yeager, Anderson, Bob Hoover, Paul Poberezny, are all good choices. The book Unbroken about Louis Zamperini was good...as was the book Louie himself wrote called Devil at my Heels...

My problem is that I don't have a good set of headphones for listening. All I have are ear-buds and they let in way too much ambient noise.

I am sitting on a plane as I type this...got the AirPod Pros for Christmas...typically hate noise cancelling headphones or lugging something else around but I am loving these for being stuck in a tube with way too many people!

I am sitting on a plane as I type this...got the AirPod Pros for Christmas...typically hate noise cancelling headphones or lugging something else around but I am loving these for being stuck in a tube with way too many people!
Those look nice. In my case, I have a hearing aid in my left ear. Ear buds work with no interference just fine for me, but those AirPod Pros look like they want to make a good seal, I don't know if I'd be able to keep the deal stuck in my ear if the wire would prohibit a good fit.

Those look nice. In my case, I have a hearing aid in my left ear. Ear buds work with no interference just fine for me, but those AirPod Pros look like they want to make a good seal, I don't know if I'd be able to keep the deal stuck in my ear if the wire would prohibit a good fit.
You'd think someone would invent something that combined the functionality of hearing aids and airpods. Especially since the airpod pro already is noise cancelling, so they have a microphone. I don't feel it would be a stretch to let you toggle between noise cancelling and hearing-aid.

You'd think someone would invent something that combined the functionality of hearing aids and airpods. Especially since the airpod pro already is noise cancelling, so they have a microphone. I don't feel it would be a stretch to let you toggle between noise cancelling and hearing-aid.

They have hearing aids that have Bluetooth.

Not sure why anybody would buy airpods, when there’s really good headphones and earbuds out there, though. :)

Other than as fashion accessories, I suppose.

My situation is that I have a single aid - so when I stream to it, I only get it in one ear. So I use earbuds since they do fit. For ANR I'd probably look at an over the ear like a Bose or Sony. I think the AirPods and some other "in the ear" models probably work well enough, but they need to block out ambient noise so they have those silicone seals to plug in tight and I think they'd be a problem unless I removed my aid when using them.

Many hearing aids are designed to let in ambient sound, and then amplify the freqs that need a boost. There are some cases where a more plug-like fit is desired and something like that might be able to act as ANR (there may already be some of those models out there), but they wouldn't work well for my situation.

I wear some that are basically just what you describe. I'm a new hearing aid user, and my loss is not very severe so I can get by without them and don't need the closed dome or molded things that Matthew was writing about.
Because they are open domed they don't play great bass with the music, but they do sound pretty good. I use them streaming music while I run, the phone's map feeds direction into my ears, phone calls are made through them using the microphones in the aids for my voice. I wear them every waking hour that's not in the shower or swimming. These things are very high dollar for ear buds, but they are wonderful!

If you are flying delta you don’t need in flight WiFi to see their movies on your iPad , you do need to download their Gogo app though. Or walk to the cockpit and say “my airplane”

If you are flying delta you don’t need in flight WiFi to see their movies on your iPad , you do need to download their Gogo app though. Or walk to the cockpit and say “my airplane”
How do you access their movies except via WiFi? I will agree that you aren't paying for the WiFi for the movies, unless you also want to access e-mail and stuff that isn't accessible through their app.

How do you access their movies except via WiFi? I will agree that you aren't paying for the WiFi for the movies, unless you also want to access e-mail and stuff that isn't accessible through their app.

Yah I meant you access the WiFi but you ain’t paying for it. iMessage, Facebook messenger and WhatsApp is also free

Yah I meant you access the WiFi but you ain’t paying for it. iMessage, Facebook messenger and WhatsApp is also free

Southwest is similar. Free TV and some movies without paying. Pay small price for messaging apps and more for internet, which is fairly slow and useless anyway. :)

You can do exactly that with iPod Pro. You can easily toggle between noise canceling, off and transparency mode where the mic sends through the ear buds plus they have a “live listen” mode that amplifies ambient sound like a hearing aid.

...so when the FA is approaching to ask if I want a drink I can easily switch to “transparency” without taking out ear buds then right back to noise canceling.

they are pretty slick

About 5yrs ago my folks were making regular trips out to NJ to visit my sister. On the first trip (Delta) my mom commented on being bored, no seat back screens. I told my dad about the GoGo inflight app and they thanked the maker!

I never realized this but my friend who flys Delta quite often to Europe said that his Microsoft Outlook is able access email....without purchasing in flight internet.

Yah I meant you access the WiFi but you ain’t paying for it.
That distinction causes a lot of confusion. Airlines don't charge for WiFi, they charge for internet access.

I've see this in a lot of aircraft write-ups, too. The aircraft has a WiFi system, an entertainment streaming system, and a satellite internet system. When a fault with any part of the system is written up as "wifi", it isn't clear to maintenance with which system component the problem resides.

Back