[NA]how far people will go for 1 second hall of fame...[NA]

Whoa. Explain that one to the kids, mommy.

I'm sad for the children, but that's a couple of flippin morons.

Why sad for the children? Maybe now they will be adopted by someone with functioning brain cells and perhaps have a better chance in life. Of course, your spin on that will depend on which side of the nature vs nurture argument you believe most.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

I love this part:

"Anyone who knows him knows he loves his kids more than anything in the world and would never do anything to hurt them"

BS...

Yeah, except point a gun at their forehead and pull the trigger. :mad:

Yeah, except point a gun at their forehead and pull the trigger. :mad:

'zackly...Even if I knew 100% the gun was not loaded, as in I checked it, removed the clip, safety on, etc...I would never do that..what kind of stupid person has to scare their child like that?

Let me preface my comments by saying I have been around guns since I was about ten. I think the first thing my dad let me shoot was a single shot .22. Prior to the excursion to the range he had given me detailed instruction on how to properly use and care for it and the destruction it could cause if not handled properly. His tutoring me in those things has always stuck with me, and in the Sixties I was issued my first concealed carry permit. I bought my first revolvers, S&W models 28, and 36 from the firearms instructor at a local PD. He was kind enough to let me use the indoor range and provided further instruction. Over the years I have had reason to carry, one of them being in a business where I was subject to carrying a lot of cash.

Would I feel comfortable carrying had I not had proper training by a well qualified LEO? I don't think I would, and that leads me to my point.

There are efforts afoot to abolish concealed carry permits and allow "constitutional carry", and being a strong proponent of the Second Amendment among others I agree in principle. OTOH, Training I took in 1999 showed that some people should never be allowed to handle a firearm. In one range session a woman put more lead in the range ceiling than went downrange. Knowing she was that sloppy I sure wouldn't have felt comfortable being around her in a tense situation. Given that experience I can understand where the anti-gun folks are coming from. I still, to this day, get to shoot with LEO friends and have never been criticized in my handling of my arm or for lack of accuracy or judgement. I would like more range time than I get and would appreciate some police combat training.

So, there is my two-cents worth.

I love this part:

"Anyone who knows him knows he loves his kids more than anything in the world and would never do anything to hurt them"

BS...

Forehead at close range.....that's an awfully small target. Don't want to throw too many stones from my glass house but it makes you wonder.

AND "didn't think it was loaded" CLEAR THE F#$%&%# gun before even picking it up you MORON!!!

AND "didn't think it was loaded" CLEAR THE gun before even picking it up you MORON!!!

A little hard to clear the gun before picking it up..... but I understand what you meant.

Before I hand a gun to anyone I clear it, open the chamber and show the person I am handing the gun to that the chamber is empty, and tell them that the gun is secure. And then watch to make sure their finger does not go on the trigger.

Never place a finger on the trigger until aiming at target and ready to shoot.

A little hard to clear the gun before picking it up..... but I understand what you meant.

Before I hand a gun to anyone I clear it, open the chamber and show the person I am handing the gun to that the chamber is empty, and tell them that the gun is secure. And then watch to make sure their finger does not go on the trigger.

Good points.

And if anyone needs to have a voice in their head reminding them to never point a gun at anything they don't want to shoot just pm your phone number. You'll get a message you're not likely to forget. It'll be sorta like hearing your CFI's voice reminding you to fly the plane only a little more colorful and slightly degrading.

Even after someone has handed me a cleared firearm, even if I see them clear it. I clear it again myself.

I thought it just proved that the neighbors were also morons. And certain areas of the country don't shoot much anymore. I can't imagine any of my neighbors not putting a stop to it... we've all seen what a .50 Desert Eagle will do, live and in person, to inanimate things. Most of us have been first to the range and thus, required to be the range safety officer until someone else showed up who wanted to do it. Until then, first to the range controls the flag and the firing line.

I can't either, but it certainly will be used in the supercharged political environment to say "see, not even ADULTS can be trusted". And that is a very hard argument to refute.

I was fortunate enough in my youth to learn and shoot weekly at the local military range. It instilled a very healthy respect for firearms, starting with a 22. Many don't get that opportunity today.

I can't either, but it certainly will be used in the supercharged political environment to say "see, not even ADULTS can be trusted". And that is a very hard argument to refute.
The real problem is that adults in the political environment can't be trusted.

I thought it just proved that the neighbors were also morons. And certain areas of the country don't shoot much anymore. I can't imagine any of my neighbors not putting a stop to it... we've all seen what a .50 Desert Eagle will do, live and in person, to inanimate things. Most of us have been first to the range and thus, required to be the range safety officer until someone else showed up who wanted to do it. Until then, first to the range controls the flag and the firing line.
So essentially a bunch of morons living in a community of morons. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

'zackly...Even if I knew 100% the gun was not loaded, as in I checked it, removed the clip, safety on, etc...I would never do that..what kind of stupid person has to scare their child like that?
Gun ownership 101. Always assume the gun is loaded and never point the muzzle at anyone unless u want to shoot em. Common sense is not so common. Wonder how many of these morons are GA pilots and share the airspace with us

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey, don't discount Darwin/natural selection just 'cause the tools changed: guns might just help select for additional (or other) traits: eye-hand coordination, better binocular vision, faster intuitive threat perception, rapid and accurate decision making (love that OODA loop!) . . .if everyone was packing, calmer, less volatile folks might start leading the survival stats.

When I heard about this while getting ready for work this morning, it was a passing reference, morning news on the tv, and I assumed it was run if the mill stupidity... maybe a 9mm or a .22.

It was a freakin' Desert Eagle. .50 caliber. A hand cannon.

Unbelievable. Moronic.

Agreed. Not only did they fail the rule of "NEVER pointing the muzzle toward anyone or any object they didn't intend to destroy", they managed to select a huge caliber for this prank that pretty much ensured the outcome they received. And this from two people who had a child and another on the way. Unbelievably stupid.

yeah i suppose you're right, lol. I've always got my chambers open all the time regardless of anything, until i'm just shy of ready to line up and shoot. It takes minimal effort and time to close the bolt should a target appear (hunting specific).

I grew up with guns just as everyone else did in that time period. One lesson that was driven into us as kids was to never point a gun towards people and never assume a gun is empty. That lesson was driven home when one of my second grade classmates was accidently shot and killed by her older brother. It happened 50 years ago and I have never forgotten about it.

yeah i suppose you're right, lol. I've always got my chambers open all the time regardless of anything, until i'm just shy of ready to line up and shoot. It takes minimal effort and time to close the bolt should a target appear (hunting specific).

I was raised by a career Marine. Chambers always closed, safety on until ready to shoot (loaded or empty). Never point a firearm at something you don't want to shoot. Never shoot anything you don't want to to kill. Treat every weapon as loaded until you prove to yourself that it isn't.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Why sad for the children? Maybe now they will be adopted by someone with functioning brain cells and perhaps have a better chance in life. Of course, your spin on that will depend on which side of the nature vs nurture argument you believe most.

I'm sad because these kids will be deprived of a life in a loving household with their own mother and father, because they are morons. I wish for every child to be blessed with a good family. I hope now that they will be placed somewhere good, but it's still not ideal. I know every kid doesn't have the ideal home life, and I'm sad when they don't. So again, I'm sad for these kids.

There was an up and coming star actor that was killed by the wadding from a blank, can't recall his name thou.
Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son, was killed on set by a malfunctioning prop gun caused by a mistake by the prop crew.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

There was a TV actor on a cop show that also died from a prop gun, shot in the head by a blank maybe. I don't remember his name.

Edit - found him:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

It was a novel of an idea... maybe the judge will throw the book at her!

I'm sad because these kids will be deprived of a life in a loving household with their own mother and father, because they are morons. I wish for every child to be blessed with a good family. I hope now that they will be placed somewhere good, but it's still not ideal. I know every kid doesn't have the ideal home life, and I'm sad when they don't. So again, I'm sad for these kids.

I don't think those kids were going to have a much better home life being raised by two idiots, either... but it's just a guess.

If there's a bell curve of "parenting skill" ... and most things do follow a bell curve...

1 out of 5 people was raised by someone with below average parenting skill. Three were raised by an average skill parent. 1 out of 5 had above average parents. (Round numbers anyway.)

That includes the kids, and all the adults you know. And you know those adults. You've met them. Or seen them on Springer. LOL.

I was raised by a career Marine. Chambers always closed, safety on until ready to shoot (loaded or empty). Never point a firearm at something you don't want to shoot. Never shoot anything you don't want to to kill. Treat every weapon as loaded until you prove to yourself that it isn't.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

That works too, I like the added security of being able to see from 10' away that there is no hope of the thing going off. I guess I was too emphatic though too and as such misleading, walking around or pushing bush, I'll be locked and loaded, biggest thing to remember is safety on, fingers AWAY from trigger guard.

I've seen too many fail videos and read too many stories like these and can't fathom why people put down a gun without locking the chamber open, pick it up without clearing it, and handle it carelessly with fingers in the trigger guard without intending to shoot!

Sometimes you can be around people that all understand firearm safety and are utterly disciplined in which case you can be sure they will do their part in maintaining safety, but most of the time it seems like there's at least one around that makes it so that you have to be over the top vigilant. Seems now days you always have to assume you're the only competent one and everybody else still sucks their thumbs. Common sense people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen too many fail videos and read too many stories like these and can't fathom why people put down a gun without locking the chamber open, pick it up without clearing it, and handle it carelessly with fingers in the trigger guard without intending to shoot!

You haven't shot many firearms then. I have two that the chamber will not lock open on an empty
magazine.

If I take them to any sort of public range or shoot with range safety personnel watching everything, I bring flags for them. (Usually required.)

If I'm just shooting them by myself I know what they are and that they don't lock open, and they're opened and cleared any time they're picked up. Anyone else who's going to handle them is also briefed on their behavior.

They're typically not handed from person to person directly since that's a setup for a problem. They're set down and person #2 clears them as they pick them up.

Just giving an example. Lots of arms like that.

Back