NA: Home Telephone (POTS) Wiring Issue

I've seen a lot of Red/Green Yellow/Black in residential but I never saw any with the White/Blue 3rd pair. Hmm.

I’ve never seen it either. When I saw places someone wanted a third line and they had 2-pair original wiring, the damn techs would just run a new 2-pair. So now “red/green” on this leg wasn’t the same as “red/green” on the second (new) leg for line three.

Technically you were supposed to at LEAST carry some colored wire markers and mark pairs three and four at the jacks with the correct colors if you used the wrong color code, but nobody ever did that in residential. And we’d just order the right cable in business. We’d only do the wrong color code in business in an emergency and we wouldn’t close out the repair ticket until we came back and replaced the mis-colored splice.

Too many pairs to chase down bad color codes on big buildings. Leaving it all messed up was a good way to get a bad reputation at best, and reprimanded at worst.

I've seen a lot of Red/Green Yellow/Black in residential but I never saw any with the White/Blue 3rd pair. Hmm.

My house has it. Blue is the primary line, orange the second and green the third all in one long 24 AWG daisy chain. Funny thing is that's only inside the house. At the demarc, the provider side wiring is only 2 pair and what looked like 16 gauge.

Actually, I should say that my house *had* it. I had the exact same wiring fault as @wanttaja and yanked all that stuff out. In its place I pulled combo cable with 2x cat 5e, 2x RG6QS and 2x fiber and home run to a new cabinet. Made sure it was easy and accessible for the next upgrade or repair, too. I never I lit the fiber, though. 10gig copper doesn't seem to be gaining much traction so I ought to think about that.

ROFL!

I showed a tech how to find a ringing line on a 66-block once by licking a finger and then QUICKLY running your finger down the exposed metal clips in the center of the block... but you want to be quick and it does bite a little. :)

Thanks. I just felt a ghost tingle run through my hand. I'd say it bites more than just a little. ;)

My house has it. Blue is the primary line, orange the second and green the third all in one long daisy chain. Funny thing is that's only inside the house. At the demarc, the provider side wiring is only 2 pair.

You had the solid colors only and had blue? Thats the difference. The paired stuff (blue/white-blue) definitely has blue (and blue is the primary pair... blue, orange, green, brown, slate... white, red, black, yellow, violet - in that order)...

But it’s odd to see solid white as tip and solid blue as ring, just because most solid color cable is only two-pair. Not against any rules, just rare.

You had the solid colors only and had blue?

Sorry, I meant blue pair, orange pair, green pair ( I.e. blue-white/white-blue, orange-white/white-orange, green-white/white-green). John didn't quote so my thread navigation got a little off track.

Last edited:
Back