NA: education on resumes

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
Is it okay to put an advanced degree on a resume when it has nothing to do with the job? Or best to leave it off?

Personally, I would include it. And summarize what you studied and somehow highlight how what you learned might benefit the employer.

Is it okay to put an advanced degree on a resume when it has nothing to do with the job? Or best to leave it off?

Leave it off. It is likely to either intimidate the hiring manager or make him think you are just taking the job temporarily until something more befitting your education level comes along. No benefit to including it.

Absolutely put it on. Most job listing and employers are looking for a "Degree" not a "Degree in XYZ". Going through the process to obtain the degree is just as much an education than the education in the specific degree subject itself.

I'd include it, but not emphasize it.

For instance, it's probably not necessary to include the title of a dissertation. Unless it's relevant.

A BS is desired but no education is required. I just happen to have it plus a masters so didn't know if the masters would hurt or help. I'm on the fence because I can see both side. I was just going to list it and the degree and dates and nothing more.

Sure, just don't let it take up too much space. Seems once you got a little time, see experience, in said industry folks don't really care about your school.

I got my highest level of college on mine and a few little certs, it's always been on my resume, almost like a footer paragraph, no one ever asked about it.

Last edited:
Leave it off. It is likely to either intimidate the hiring manager or make him think you are just taking the job temporarily until something more befitting your education level comes along. No benefit to including it.

Depends on the job....I've never applied for a job not in my general field, but there are times I only list the BA.

I hate to bring granny's undies in to the mix, but I agree.

Depends on the job....I've never applied for a job not in my general field, but there are times I only list the BA.

Im still in simulation, I just got my masters in Business just because the VA was paying and it interested me, my BS is computers which is for my field. So Im torn..I think Ill list it since its just a 1 liner and shows I have the determination to complete it. Its been 7 years since I did it so Im far removed from it, but its still an accomplishment that took 2 years to do.

Im still in simulation, I just got my masters in Business just because the VA was paying and it interested me, my BS is computers which is for my field. So Im torn..I think Ill list it since its just a 1 liner and shows I have the determination to complete it. Its been 7 years since I did it so Im far removed from it, but its still an accomplishment that took 2 years to do.

Definitely show your education. It may be in another area from what you're applying for, but it shows and proves you have the drive and desire to obtain it. Sorta a character positive.

I would list it. A masters in business can apply to a lot of things (business requirements assessment, BI, business process, etc.).

I would list it. A masters in business can apply to a lot of things (business requirements assessment, BI, business process, etc.).
+1, definitely.

Now if the advanced degree was in something completely irrelevant, such as Latin, no. But and MBA or MS Business goes very well with CS. Among other things, it shows you're not a complete geek.

I would only leave any education off a resume if it would make the hiring manager think you just want this job until a "real" job comes along. I.e you're applying for a McDonald's manager, but you have a law degree or MD. I can't imagine a master's in business would cause that reaction for a technical position, I think it would be viewed as a positive.

Definitely keep the MBA on there. It's usually viewed as a positive item when your BA is in a non-financial field. It shows you may have a good understanding of business principles as well as basic economics, which may give you an edge over an equally-experienced candidate.

If it's an MBA on a candidate with a BS in Management, I really don't give it much value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A BS is desired but no education is required. I just happen to have it plus a masters so didn't know if the masters would hurt or help. I'm on the fence because I can see both side. I was just going to list it and the degree and dates and nothing more.

The general advice I've heard is that a Masters helps with opportunities but PhDs hurt.

I've talked with hiring managers in technical fields who discredit people with MBAs as it shows more of an interest in management than technical work. But I've also talked with other hiring managers in the same fields who see it as a bonus.

To the OP: list it. You earned it. I'm in the IT field, and I list it with my master's emphasis area. (e.g. "Master of Business Administration, Information and Operations Management")

Ph.Ds are useful in their select fields, especially where research/instruction is involved. It's hard to be an astrophysicist/music director/psychologist without having a Ph.D., as it almost becomes a prerequisite.

Getting a Ph.D. in accounting would be pointless for anyone who didn't want to be doing tax theory and looking for legal loopholes for a living, although Masters are getting more popular due to it almost being required to sit for the CPA exam.

As an aside, I list my Pilot Certificate on my resume under an "accomplishments" section. Not because it adds any value from a work perspective, but it usually generates some favorable conversation and shows a bit more commitment to a long term goal.

Why in god's name would you leave it off the resume?

I didn't go to school for 2 years to get my MBA to leave it OFF my resume. Are there really hiring managers out there that are intimidated by that kind of stuff?

Who cares if it isn't job related? I've spent almost 20 years doing IT work and I wanted to understand the business/finance side better, so I got my MBA. Is there really a benefit to making yourself look less educated then you actually are?

Why in god's name would you leave it off the resume?

I didn't go to school for 2 years to get my MBA to leave it OFF my resume. Are there really hiring managers out there that are intimidated by that kind of stuff?

Who cares if it isn't job related? I've spent almost 20 years doing IT work and I wanted to understand the business/finance side better, so I got my MBA. Is there really a benefit to making yourself look less educated then you actually are?

I don't know about other places, but in the aviation world in Alaska too many of the managers, chief pilots and directors of operations got their job by who they know instead of what they know, and yes, they are intimidated by those with more experience and education and will purposely make life hard on those people trying to get them to leave.

I don't know about other places, but in the aviation world in Alaska too many of the managers, chief pilots and directors of operations got their job by who they know instead of what they know, and yes, they are intimidated by those with more experience and education and will purposely make life hard on those people trying to get them to leave.
Doesn't sound like the type of job the OP's pursuing, but I'd rather have an employer like that not hire me rather than be miserable in the job. Managers with such "enlightened" philosophies tend to have other shortcomings that I would just as well steer clear of.

Doesn't sound like the type of job the OP's pursuing, but I'd rather have an employer like that not hire me rather than be miserable in the job. Managers with such "enlightened" philosophies tend to have other shortcomings that I would just as well steer clear of.

100% agreed...!!!!

When I was in industry....and did hiring...I always chit canned the Phds. We wanted someone who could work...not pontificate and theorize.

My vote is if that higher degree doesn't complement your employer....take it off. You want to be seen and heard....and don't need distractions before the interview.

Man that's crazy that people have such massive egos or assume that just because someone has an advanced degree that they wouldn't work hard.

@paflyer -> Hilarious :) I need to use that heh...

My daughter is a Director of Human Resources and she says put it on there!

My daughter is a Director of Human Resources and she says put it on there!
HR's viewpoint and that of a hiring manager are seldom in sync. HR wants the best people possible who can possibly contribute at a higher level later on as well as right away. They want future leaders as well as current labor. Many hiring managers just want the labor and prefer people less accomplished than themselves. They do not want competition for future promotions or for their current job.

HR's viewpoint and that of a hiring manager are seldom in sync. HR wants the best people possible who can possibly contribute at a higher level later on as well as right away. They want future leaders as well as current labor. Many hiring managers just want the labor and prefer people less accomplished than themselves. They do not want competition for future promotions or for their current job.

I guess I should be taking some of these rejections then as compliments :).

Back