[NA]"Doesn't realize how much he doesn't know"[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
We have all heard of this expression in different forms. I have definitely run into this professionally and during informal situations, but did not realize it is a recognized & studied condition. The Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Interestingly, it could be applied to any one of us, (and I accept that I may have it too).....I think it really all boils down to how you present knowledge you have to others, and your attitude about knowledge others present to you.
If you - for example - instantly dismiss others' thoughts, without explanation or reference to contrary opinions, I think you could have DKE.
And I don't think this is simply a matter of "who is right and who is wrong"!
Anyone have input on this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

edit; I see it has been mentioned on POA before!

80.jpg

Yet when the great philosopher Donald Rumsfeld tried to explain it to us, he was ridiculed ;-)

I have seen references to this psychological phenomenon or theory in several periodicals over the last 2 - 3 years. It seems to be very prevalent these days.

There are two parts to the effect. People with in-depth knowledge of an area often underestimate their degree of knowledge. Obviously not a problem on POA.

I find this to be more of a problem. Slightly paraphrased to avoid breaking the rules.

It isn't so much that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.

They don't know and they don't know they don't know...

They are trying to revive a locked thread, for the second time today, in another thread.
Yeah, I got that part. I was just wondering what his basis was for objecting to the post he linked to.

By the way, where is the other post that tried to revive the locked thread?

Yet when the great philosopher Donald Rumsfeld tried to explain it to us, he was ridiculed ;-)

Actually, Socrates beat him to it. He just put it into words GWB (and the press corps) could understand.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know when I was younger.

We is piluts... Ain't much we don't know. We've seen it all from above. What we don't know, Tom can explain. Or, if it's medical, Dr. Bruce. But otherwise, we knowed it, and maybe forgot we knowed it, until you reminded us by asking your silly question.

"He's forgotten more about flying than you'll ever know". How many times have you heard that one?

My favorite cousin always used to say, "I taught you all I know, and you still don't know anything." ;)

"He's forgotten more about flying than you'll ever know". How many times have you heard that one?

When I hear that my response is, "Pretty sure that Alzheimers/Amnesia is medically disqualifying. At least I can still fly."

Back