[NA] Am I a Racist? [NA]

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I accidentally called someone who is ethnically different than me by a name that belonged to someone else that is also ethnically different than me but shares the same ethnicity with the person whom I called by the wrong name.

And I feel terrible.

I tried to save it awkwardly and it only got worse.

Names changed to remove any indication of who or what ethnic background was involved.

Me: "Runs with Scissors"
Dances in the moonlight: "I'm not Runs with Scissors"
Me: "Duh. I know that, you didn't let me finish. I was starting to say Runs with Scissors won't be in the office today"

Dances in the moonlight: "Um she is here today I just saw her and why would you be telling me that she wasn't going to be here if she wasn't here? We don't work together"

Me: "Oh she's here? I must have gotten her confused with someone else maybe I was thinking of Smells Like Whiskey"

Dances in the moonlight: Oh you got some people confused but it wasn't them two.

[Walks away mumbling] Imagine that... Thinks I look like Runs with scissors just because we're both...

And then I didn't hear the end part completely.

I accidentally called someone who is ethnically different than me by a name that belonged to someone else that is also ethnically different than me but shares the same ethnicity with the person whom I called by the wrong name.

And I feel terrible.

Names changed to remove any indication of who or what ethnic background was involved.

Me: "Duh. I know that, you didn't let me finish. I was starting to say Runs with Scissors won't be in the office today"

Dances in the moonlight: "Um she is here today I just saw her and why would you be telling me that she wasn't going to be here if she wasn't here? We don't work together"

Me: "Oh she's here? I must have gotten her confused with someone else maybe I was thinking of Smells Like Whiskey"

Dances in the moonlight: Oh you got some people confused but it wasn't them two.

[Walks away mumbling] Imagine that... Thinks I look like Runs with scissors just because we're both...

You racist! I'm going to learn you some tolerance with a brick through your window and a city wide riot!

we practice something here called "inappropriate wednesday" where we can say anything, especially if it's, well, inappropriate. but only on wednesday. you should incorporate that into your office. it's fun!

And I feel terrible.

Don't worry, we all look alike, and we know it. ;)

Be glad you were able to remember someone's name. I'm afflicted with nominal aphasia so I can be introduced to someone or be talking to someone I've know for years and when I go to use their names I draw a complete blank. Often my wife asks me what I'm doing when I 'm very quiet and I tell her I'm going through the alphabet to see if it sparks a memory of a persons name. I hate it and all the tricks don't work for me.

pc-cartoon.jpg

so....do you also have trouble remembering the names of your white co-workers?:fingerwag::wonderwoman:

The joy of working from home is I can be as inappropriate as I'd like... whenever I hit the mute button. And since the webcam is permanently"disabled" I don't even have to wear pants while I do it! Fortunately my team is just as screwed up in the head as I am.

so....do you also have trouble remembering the names of your white co-workers?:fingerwag::wonderwoman:

You are assuming they aren't white and that I am...
Just because I fly a Cirrus means I must be white huh???

WOW! Just WOW!

If you have to ask....

The reality is is that caucasions are easier to differentiate. Asians, east indians, blacks, and mexicans do indeed have fewer differentiating physical characteristics than us white folk. ie. dark hair, darks skin, dark eyes. So what. no big deal. And yes it is understandable why you would confuse someone who looks similar as someone else. It happens to everyone.

we practice something here called "inappropriate wednesday" where we can say anything, especially if it's, well, inappropriate. but only on wednesday. you should incorporate that into your office. it's fun!

Amateurs. That's everyday at my office. Right now we are discussing would you rather lick the sweat off an MMA fighter's stomach for $1,000 or going one round with him for $10,000.

Be glad you were able to remember someone's name. I'm afflicted with nominal aphasia so I can be introduced to someone or be talking to someone I've know for years and when I go to use their names I draw a complete blank. Often my wife asks me what I'm doing when I 'm very quiet and I tell her I'm going through the alphabet to see if it sparks a memory of a persons name. I hate it and all the tricks don't work for me.

Ive been wondering what I'm afflicted with. Now I know it has a name!!

And yes, Bryan, youre a racist.

The inner machinations of your mind are an enigma. (Quote inspired by Patrick Star, of SpongeBob SquarePants fame).

If you
Hurt someone's "feelings"
Say something that someone disagrees with
Make someone think outside of their comfort zone
You're a "racist" or "biggot"

The word doesn't mean what it used to, even if you honestly give zero fracks about color, you're a racist/biggot if you say something someone (often left leaning) disagrees with.

If you
Hurt someone's "feelings"
Say something that someone disagrees with
Make someone think outside of their comfort zone
You're a "racist" or "biggot"

The word doesn't mean what it used to, even if you honestly give zero fracks about color, you're a racist/biggot if you say something someone (often left leaning) disagrees with.

just like on PoA if you say "boobs" you're automatically a misogynist.

I only assume you're white because the guy with the dark hair that portrays you on youtube is white. Sometimes they show the old guy the character is based on, but usually it's that young whitey.

we practice something here called "inappropriate wednesday"

Tell the truth for a change. It's inappropriate WEEKDAY.

Bryan's white privilege is showing. Or maybe that's just his pitot tube cover. ;-)

Well if it makes you feel any better last week I was in Kenya, went into the bar at the camp we were staying, bartender starts deriding me, says the room number I signed the bar bill with last night was wrong and he had to pay the bill out of his own pocket. He was quite sure of himself and the exchange got testy.

Yep, another 50ish white 6 foot 200# fellow. We all look the same. It's not racism, just human nature. The term has been so overused--like the word "hero"--that it is essentially meaningless.

And I feel terrible.

Confusion reigns. Ethnicity is not race. However in our culture, ethnicity is continuously used as race.

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other based on similarities such as common ancestral, language, social, cultural or national experiences.[1][2] Unlike other social groups (wealth, age, hobbies), ethnicity is often an inherited status based on the society in which one lives. In some cases, it can be adopted if a person moves into another society. Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, dressing style, art, and physical appearance.

Cheers

The reality is is that caucasions are easier to differentiate. Asians, east indians, blacks, and mexicans do indeed have fewer differentiating physical characteristics than us white folk. ie. dark hair, darks skin, dark eyes. So what. no big deal. And yes it is understandable why you would confuse someone who looks similar as someone else. It happens to everyone.

It's just easier to differentiate between people who look like the people you grew up around. e.g. People who grew up in India have no problem differentiating between Indian people, but they have a hard time with white people.

Technically that would make you a bigot, not a racist. To be a racist you need to hold a position of power over the person.

I worked with a person that spent a couple years working in Kenya. He asked me, "Do you know what it is like being the only white person in the room?"

Yes I do. That happens in my house every day. :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe you made the mistake because you Smell Like Whiskey.

Back