N/A Stihl 2-cycle oil question N/A

I run 100LL and 50:1 Yamalube racing Yamaha 2 stroke oil.
I have the best running weedeater in the world. It is going on 18 years old and always fires the second pull. I can crank it and the thing will sit there and idle till it runs out of fuel.
I would never run crap 2 stroke Walmart oil. That's what my neighbor does and he stands there for a hour trying to crank his junk!

Thxx, y’all.

You reminded me that I need to mix some gas for my Harbor Freight generator and fire it up.

Intry to do this every few months and drain the carbs in-between times.

For oil, you want an API-TC spec oil, which is made for air cooled engines. A lot of the cheap Wal-Mart oils are TC-W3, which is optimized for the cooler operating temperatures of marine engines. I always ran Pennzoil "Air-Cooled" (now called "Outdoor") oil in my paramotors.

This is worth emphasizing. Buy the oil meant for the air cooled 2 strokes, not boat oil.

I’m amazed at how many of you guys seem to struggle with mixing oil with gas and poor running engines. I’ve been playing this game for as long as I’ve been alive with no problems. Two things I do; first is running only non-ethanol fuel and second is that I mix no thinner than 32:1. There is evidence that thinner ratios can affect performance, despite manufacturers almost universally promoting 40 or 50:1 mix ratios these days.

BR600is yesterdays news. You know the BR700 and BR800 are out now? The 700 is slower speed with more volume than the 600. About equal in the amount of work it can do, but it does it differently. The 800 is truly a beast.

I asked about the 700 and 800 and had several people tell me they preferred the 600. You're the first to suggest the 800. And I like the BR600 so much that it's not worth the chance w/o a good reason.

Mist lubrication is not a 2-stroke only phenomenon it’s just more common on them. Sump lubrication is not dedicated to 4-strokes either. Detroit diesel 2-strokes use wet sump lubrication.

Personally though I don’t consider 4-strokes to be better for hand held lawn appliances. It’s better to have light weight and you get that from better power density that goes with a 2-stroke since you’ve got double the power strokes.

You might want to try a new-era quality branded 4-stroke “lawn appliance.” The Cub Cadet and Stihl implements will knock your socks off. Not even in the same league as the puny 2-stroke toys. ;) If you have new stuff and it wasn’t any good, then it was either entry level consumer grade or a bad build, because the new stuff is really good on power, and quiet, and good on gas.

You might want to try a new-era quality branded 4-stroke “lawn appliance.” The Cub Cadet and Stihl implements will knock your socks off. Not even in the same league as the puny 2-stroke toys. ;) If you have new stuff and it wasn’t any good, then it was either entry level consumer grade or a bad build, because the new stuff is really good on power, and quiet, and good on gas.

I really couldn't care less how much fuel my yard equipment consumes. My tractors, sure it would be nice for it to consume a bit less, but the ease of MX of the gasoline engines offsets that fuel savings vs. a diesel.

In the case of any of my hand-held implements, sure you could make a 4-stroke with the power of the 2-stroke, but it will have more displacement and likely more weight going with it. If it still requires 2-stroke oil, I'm failing to see much of an advantage.

I also don't care. I just bought a new Husqvarna 2-stroke weed whacker. :)

I really couldn't care less how much fuel my yard equipment consumes. My tractors, sure it would be nice for it to consume a bit less, but the ease of MX of the gasoline engines offsets that fuel savings vs. a diesel.

In the case of any of my hand-held implements, sure you could make a 4-stroke with the power of the 2-stroke, but it will have more displacement and likely more weight going with it. If it still requires 2-stroke oil, I'm failing to see much of an advantage.

When it comes to implements it's all about TQ which the 4 strokes just have heaps more of and is broader so you don't have to keep it wound out. Trust me, the Stihl 4-mix will out muscle any 2 stroke on the market without a doubt. Not to mention is not as loud, doesn't vibrate as much, and if it does weigh more it's actually beneficial because it helps balance out the tool. So you get all the pluses of a 4 stroke and don't have to worry about changing engine oil. Win Win Win

Hard cranking has little to do with the two stroke oil you use. That's more of a function of the quality of gasoline that you start with and how old it is by the time you try to start the engine. If you use enough 2-stroke that 25 bucks for a gallon is an expense you notice in your yard care budget, then you can certainly save 20 bucks per jug by buying Avgas/marine and mixing it with your favourite 2-stroke oil.

When it comes to implements it's all about TQ which the 4 strokes just have heaps more of and is broader so you don't have to keep it wound out. Trust me, the Stihl 4-mix will out muscle any 2 stroke on the market without a doubt. Not to mention is not as loud, doesn't vibrate as much, and if it does weigh more it's actually beneficial because it helps balance out the tool. So you get all the pluses of a 4 stroke and don't have to worry about changing engine oil. Win Win Win

Well that's nice. I'm not going to take my new one back to exchange it and we like it fine. :)

I dunno, depends on what you're doing with it. Lugging around an extra 5lbs doesn't seem like much, but after 20-30 minutes it makes a big difference. It also depends on what implement you're using. I don't need tons of torque to run a line trimmer on a weekly basis, or edge 100' of driveway each week. If you are running an edger for the first cut of the season or chopping brush/pole saw/hedge trimmers, the 4-stroke torque and weight may come in handy. Most of the landscape crews I see are still using 2-strokes because the weight becomes a bigger issue when you're swinging one all day long. We ran Stihl equipment for our blowers/chainsaws/edgers/trimmers back in college and they were pretty solid, but sometimes a bit hard to start cold for whatever reason. After that first start/run of the day they ran fine all day long.

Ok. Husqy stuff is solid. Thumbs up. I hope you sprung for the extra capacity fuel tank so you won’t have to stop to refill that 2-stroke hog every 20 minutes. ;)

I run 100LL and 50:1 Yamalube racing Yamaha 2 stroke oil.

Years ago I got a pass to the Anaheim Supercross Race... this is back int the Rick Johnson, Jeff Ward, Jeff Stanton days... I looked in the back of one of the Honda factory vans and there were a few cases of Yamalube... Got me to thinking...

I use to run 100LL and Yamalube in CR250 and KTM 300... Zoom-Zoom!!!!!

Why not use an electric weed eater and reduce your carbon footprint?

:stirpot:

Cuzzzzz they don't make 200 yard extension cords... and the battery powered ones don't have the "industrial strength" need to tackle the job... Don't mind me I'm just thinking out loud here..

Cuzzzzz they don't make 200 yard extension cords... and the battery powered ones don't have the "industrial strength" need to tackle the job... Don't mind me I'm just thinking out loud here..

Sounds like a development opportunity: just make a backpack full of batteries and you’ll have plenty of power to do it. You’ll also get to do CrossFit training at the same time since you’ll be lugging around a 50lbs backpack so you can trim that acre or two!

If u don’t not use 100LL at least find a place with rec fuel- no ethanol

My opinion is that using a fuel stabilizer counts for more then ethanol/non ethanol gasoline. My experience has been snow blower starts up when I need it in winter, lawn mower starts up just fine in summer.

Learned a couple of mexican swear words this morning. In the end my neighbors landscaper got his trimmer started.

Ok. Husqy stuff is solid. Thumbs up. I hope you sprung for the extra capacity fuel tank so you won’t have to stop to refill that 2-stroke hog every 20 minutes. ;)

It lasts at least 30, which is plenty for our purposes.

Why not use an electric weed eater and reduce your carbon footprint?

:stirpot:

Because one of my life goals is to maximize my carbon footprint. With all these people trying to fight global warming who is going to help it out?

Last edited:

Just use your portable gas powered generator to power it. Duh!

Oh.... Never mind.

Back