N/A Replacement garage door keypad with "smart" features?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
My wireless keypad used to get into the garage from outside broke after many years of faithful service.

My openers are old (circa 2007) Overhead Door Company models, that use that rolling code system. Intellicode I think it's called.

I'd love to get a keypad that also links into bluetooth or wifi so the doors can be opened either by poking in the code or by using our phones.

Know of any good options?

My wireless keypad used to get into the garage from outside broke after many years of faithful service.

My openers are old (circa 2007) Overhead Door Company models, that use that rolling code system. Intellicode I think it's called.

I'd love to get a keypad that also links into bluetooth or wifi so the doors can be opened either by poking in the code or by using our phones.

Like you I have an older garage door opener - that still works just fine. Mine came with handheld remotes - that after years of service finally failed.
Thinking that control by cell phone would be neat, I looked around and found a name brand controller that works on your WiFi, and also through Bluetooth.
So I bought one, and read the documentation before installing. I was horrified at all the privileges you grant the manufacturer by installing and using
the product: IMHO you might as well give them copies of all your private information upfront, because they will find out anyway. Suffice it to say that
the device went back in the box and will remain there (I took too long to be eligible to return it). I found a replacement remote to be cheap on eBay
so ordered one and all is well.

Dave

Thinking that control by cell phone would be neat, I looked around and found a name brand controller that works on your WiFi, and also through Bluetooth.
So I bought one, and read the documentation before installing. I was horrified at all the privileges you grant the manufacturer by installing and using
the product: IMHO you might as well give them copies of all your private information upfront, because they will find out anyway. Suffice it to say that
the device went back in the box and will remain there (I took too long to be eligible to return it). I found a replacement remote to be cheap on eBay
so ordered one and all is well.
If works through Bluetooth, couldn't you theoretically leave Wi-Fi disconnected (and put a tin-foil hat on that particular antenna) to prevent the unit from spewing data back to its mother ship?

MyQ brand, and app, seems to be the most prominent smart garage door accessory. My openers have the MyQ functionality built in but they have devices that add it to existing openers.

I’ve got the Chamberlain setup and had it connected to Home Assistant for monitoring and automation. A few weeks ago, Chamberlain made it clear 3rd party apps are not wanted and broke HA. I see that as a red flag - their app likes to push ads, at best, and may be performing way more monitoring and telemetry at worst.

I’ve got the Chamberlain setup and had it connected to Home Assistant for monitoring and automation. A few weeks ago, Chamberlain made it clear 3rd party apps are not wanted and broke HA. I see that as a red flag - their app likes to push ads, at best, and may be performing way more monitoring and telemetry at worst.
Eh, I think they were more concerned about security with regard to connected devices (like Alexa or Google Home). I'm sure they could have ulterior motives if they think they can offer products under the MyQ ecosystem, but it would seem like a really odd decision since selling a whole home access/security solution is not what Chamberlain currently offers or specializes in. They make Garage Door openers, lol.

I have MyQ. I have it because one of it's features is a reminder each evening if your door is open. It's also good when you get 1 hour away and have that sinking feeling you forgot to close the garage. An open garage is a much bigger security risk to me than any information they might grab up.

Not Bluetooth, but I'll second the Chamberlain MyQ add-on WiFi unit. I have 2 of their MyQ garage door openers, and they both work well with their app. One of the garage doors has a built-in security camera which works like its supposed to. I have had a few times where someone needed to come over to the house while I was at work and I was able to open the door for them from my cell phone without an issue. I can also see the door status with the app in case I couldn't remember if I closed the door before I left. You can also set the door to be on a schedule or "close after being open for X minutes". You can add on a new wireless keypad as well if you want it. Lots of good functionality there.

I use one of these https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-garage-door-controller Basically its a camera and little box that attaches to almost any garage door opener. Have one on my Hangar rollup door and home door. Works well, does not need a subscription (free plan works fine on it) and even has some basic alerts like you forgot to close your door etc.

Oh and at $50 its pretty cheap for what it does.

Back