N/A Navajo for multi training?

4600 feet.

Last edited:
I would be pretty happy with say a Seneca under normal circumstances. Problem with most of these light twins is when you loose one engine. The single engine performance in a Seneca I on a standard day is weak 190 fpm. Crank the temperature up to 95 and the Seneca's already weak single engine climb now becomes hang-on for dear life 90 fpm, practically no climb.

Not really. I've got hundreds of hours teaching in the Seneca. You're not operating it at max gross, you're flying with partial fuel and one other person up front. It climbs out just fine, especially on the eastern seaboard.

With all due respect, I believe you are targeting the wrong issue. You're unlikely to actually lose an engine in the training role with regular utilization of the aircraft. What you are more likely to encounter is a push on the wrong pedal, or other incorrect procedure executed by your client. The best machine for this role is the one with the most docile OEI characteristics. Put another way, even as a performance nazi I'd take a Duchess over a Navajo to teach in on the east coast with its relatively low DAs. Secondarily, from an economic standpoint you want a machine which is reasonably efficient to operate. I won't say the Ho is "bad" on point one but clearly on point two, it is challenged out of the gates.

Anyway, by this point you know my opinion on the matter so I'll leave you to it and root for your success regardless of the route you choose. Good luck!

Myself, I spent almost three years as a CFIIME, and agree with you that you have to "take care of yourself" out there on the line.

The Geronimo would be my second choice, and a Twin Comanche next with its spirited performance and looks.

Your avatar looks like a Twin Comanche?

Myself, I spent almost three years as a CFIIME, and agree with you that you have to "take care of yourself" out there on the line.

The Geronimo would be my second choice, and a Twin Comanche next with its spirited performance and looks.

Your avatar is a Twinkie or so it looks like?

Yes, I have owned one for 16+ years now. Love it as an owner airplane -- very efficient. But it's not ideal for training due to its laminar flow airfoil and lack of RH brakes. My first choice would probably be a Seneca I. Just such a great trainer with more than acceptable performance. Easy to maintain. Possible to make money with one of those if you play your cards right.

I also like the Seneca I, and as recently as last week I once again toyed with the idea of the possibility of improving the OEI performance of a Seneca I by installing flap/aileron gap seals, main wheel fairings, flap track fairings, wing to fuselage fairings, Powerflow exhaust system, etc. I still occasionally review the possibility of using a smaller twin for this purpose. When all is said and done, the Ho makes the most sense.

Coincidentally, I came across a Beechcraft BE-58 Baron operating cost survey, an airplane of similar size to the N/A Navajo. Flown 150 hrs. per year, the hourly operating cost comes in at $317. Flown more, that rate will further decrease. That's not bad for a six seat twin.

Last edited:
Hi folks, would anybody here know as to where I can get the accelerate-go charts for any of the PA-31 airplanes like Chieftain, Navajo? I would really appreciate any link leading to it. Thanks.

Hi folks, would anybody here know as to where I can get the accelerate-go charts for any of the PA-31 airplanes like Chieftain, Navajo? I would really appreciate any link leading to it. Thanks.

You try GTS? (google that shet)

One of the performance companies that specializes in performance charts will probably pop up.

Thanks bro. No luck so far, still looking.

I flew a chieftain for about 6 years in Alaska and if we used accelerate-go charts we would not have been able to go to about 90% of the strips we used.

Seriously, I don't recall ever seeing accelerate-go charts for a chieftain, but I flew the turbo charged models.

I flew a chieftain for about 6 years in Alaska and if we used accelerate-go charts we would not have been able to go to about 90% of the strips we used.

Seriously, I don't recall ever seeing accelerate-go charts for a chieftain, but I flew the turbo charged models.

Interesting. Beech and Cessna publish accelerate-go charts for most in not all their twins, right in their POHs. I have not seen a Piper accelerate-go chart yet, none, and I've flown many different Piper twins. Maybe I will have to invent one..

Back