N/A: moving programs to new computer

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I bought a replacement laptop and am in process of transferring documents, installing programs, etc. There are a few programs that I would like to move to the new laptop. A simple reinstall of programs works reliably, but there are some that I cannot reinstall. Either I no longer have the install file or I have the install file but my activation code no longer works, etc. In those cases, is there a means to transfer a program?

Both my laptops are Dell. Old one is running Windows 8 pro; new one is Windows 10 pro.

Unfortonately, Microsoft is too lame to provide an automated migration.

All is not lost, there are a few third party apps like easus or winwin that can do this.

Some (not all) programs will work on a new computer if you simply copy the program folder (usually under c:\program files or c:\program files\(x86)). You then have to recreate the shortcut(s), not difficult, and also may have to export the related registry entries and import them on the new computer to get program settings or activation code. Sometimes even if you are able to do a new install (always best) you can find an activation code by looking in the old registry with regedit, but just beware, you can really screw up your computer with regedit if you change something that shouldn't be changed.

Unfortonately, Microsoft is too lame to provide an automated migration.

All is not lost, there are a few third party apps like easus or winwin that can do this.
Would be nice to have that level of automation. I would pay for easus lifetime if it were my lifetime and not just the 2 computers I am moving to/from...

Some (not all) programs will work on a new computer if you simply copy the program folder (usually under c:\program files or c:\program files\(x86)). You then have to recreate the shortcut(s), not difficult, and also may have to export the related registry entries and import them on the new computer to get program settings or activation code. Sometimes even if you are able to do a new install (always best) you can find an activation code by looking in the old registry with regedit, but just beware, you can really screw up your computer with regedit if you change something that shouldn't be changed.
Thanks, I was able to move one program just now doing this.

You’ll have to look program to program. Some you might just be able to get away with copying the program folder over. Others will store everything, including the keys, in the registry and that gets a bit more complicated to figure out.

Just got a new Mac last week. Turned it on, set it to restore from time machine and in about 30 minutes the new laptop was set up just like the old one and off to the races. I know, not relevant, just sayin

I paid my IT guy to mirror my old laptop to this one (Dell to Lenovo), he's done it several times on different computers. A couple of hours, $50 and the new laptop is 100% the same as the old one.

I see what you did there...

Back