*N/A* motorcycle question

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
I'm looking at getting back into riding again and today checked out a Triumph America (http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_America_Overview_2010America.aspx) and really liked the retro styling and ride height (for those that may not know me, I'm vertically challenged at about 5'5" :D).

Here is some info to consider: I haven't ridden since the mid-80's and would need to renew my bike certificate (no biggie but just fyi), the last bike I rode was a Suzuki GS 650, my mission is mostly weekend rides off the interstate with a few friends (ie Natchez Trace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway )maybe a few longer interstate rides to East TN for some mountain riding.

Do any of you have any experience with newer Triumph bikes? Any guidance you can offer wrt "gotchas"? Any general guidance you care to offer up?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
FYI and with no dog in the fight, my barber and good friend is an inch shorter, has owned almost everything he can mount comfortably. His Virago was his all-time fav for trips similar to yours.
I'm looking at getting back into riding again and today checked out a Triumph America (http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_America_Overview_2010America.aspx) and really liked the retro styling and ride height (for those that may not know me, I'm vertically challenged at about 5'5" :D).

Here is some info to consider: I haven't ridden since the mid-80's and would need to renew my bike certificate (no biggie but just fyi), the last bike I rode was a Suzuki GS 650, my mission is mostly weekend rides off the interstate with a few friends (ie Natchez Trace [http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm]), maybe a few longer interstate rides to East TN for some mountain riding.

Do any of you have any experience with newer Triumph bikes? Any guidance you can offer wrt "gotchas"? Any general guidance you care to offer up?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin,
Do yourself a favor and check out the Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS. Probably the best all around bike on the market. Does more then everything and does not cost much for what you get.

Good luck in your purchase
Mike in NJ (Motor SGT RET)

Kevin,
Do yourself a favor and check out the Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS. Probably the best all around bike on the market. Does more then everything and does not cost much for what you get.

Good luck in your purchase
Mike in NJ (Motor SGT RET)

Thanks for the info, Mike. I'll check it out but my primary concern is the seat height. It is about 5" taller than the other. :(

Most of the Japanese cruiser wannabe's will also do what you want. Might save you a bit of coin, and many are totally bulletproof.

Most of the Japanese cruiser wannabe's will also do what you want. Might save you a bit of coin, and many are totally bulletproof.

Any suggestions? I have an inside track with Suzuki and can get them below cost but it's been so long since I've straddled one I don't know if it would be a good choice.

Sorry, not much help here. I have a new Yamaha FZ6R resting comfortably in my garage on a charger, waiting for better weather. Kind of a sport-bike wannabe model, but I like the more aggressive ride position from a safety perspective.

MOreover, maybe it differs by state, but I would think once motorcycle-licensed, always motorcycle-licensed. I could be wrong....

Sorry, not much help here. I have a new Yamaha FZ6R resting comfortably in my garage on a charger, waiting for better weather. Kind of a sport-bike wannabe model, but I like the more aggressive ride position from a safety perspective.

MOreover, maybe it differs by state, but I would think once motorcycle-licensed, always motorcycle-licensed. I could be wrong....

Good point, Andrew. Unfortunately I was living in Illinois when I had the bike endorsement and it didn't carry over to Tennessee. Probably because I didn't renew it while in Florida. :dunno:

Had a girlfriend who was 'vertically challenged'. She got herself a Moto Guzzi. Nice bike for her but my knees would drag if I had to get on it.

I love my Suzuki Bandit 1200S, it is fairly comfortable, not aggressive seating, and can go fast and far. Plus they're pretty affordable. I'm not super tall, 5'7"..

It's really hard to recommend a bike to anyone though. You kind of just need to look around until you find something that speaks to you.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I'll check it out but my primary concern is the seat height. It is about 5" taller than the other. :(

The honda shadow has a pretty low seat high.

Any suggestions? I have an inside track with Suzuki and can get them below cost but it's been so long since I've straddled one I don't know if it would be a good choice.

Suzukis are still good bikes. They have a broad range of product, so the best thing to do would be to go to a dealer and check them out. Like Jesse said, the Bandit is a good choice - relaxed riding position and a hoot to ride. Plus there's an outfit called Holeshot that sells lots of go-fast parts for the Bandit, so if you like to tinker, you're covered. A 1200 may sound a little bigger than you need, but it's manageable, and IMO the Bandit 600 is underpowered.

Since it's been a long time since you've ridden, it would be a good idea to take the MSF basic rider course. It's a good refresher, plus you'll probably learn something new. And in many places, the course will include your state written and riding test, so you can just go to the DMV and get your motorcycle endorsement added.

And don't forget to buy good protective gear!

Trapper John

I like putting around on my little Honda Rebel 250 personally. If it has been a long a time since you have ridden, one thing I would suggest is look into to taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

If you haven't ridden for awhile purchase a used bike. That way you won't feel so bad when you drop it. I'm about the same height as Jesse, and I've ridden all kinds of bikes. I can touch the ground on tiptoes on my sportbike. Bit better on the Goldwing, but damn that thing is heavy.

The V-twin cruiser bikes are fairly low slung, although they cater to a fairly specific image. I gravitate toward them not because I like them, but because the bike you started the thread with is modeled after them. The Honda Shadow is a really good bike, comes in many denominations (small, large, and gigantic), and is as bulletproof as any bike is ever likely to be.

The bike Jesse mentions is one of my all time favorites, but will sit higher. It will also do things no cruiser will do. Like an aircraft you have to think about your mission. Do you like to tear around town, or rider the twisty mountain roads, or do big trips on the interstate? What you want to do should instruct your choice of bike. I would worry less about whether your feet reach the ground. I've had plenty of bikes where I was one foot down at the stop lights, and I'm still here. Mostly.

I love my Suzuki Bandit 1200S, it is fairly comfortable, not aggressive seating, and can go fast and far. Plus they're pretty affordable. I'm not super tall, 5'7"..

It's really hard to recommend a bike to anyone though. You kind of just need to look around until you find something that speaks to you.

Thanks, Jesse. I couldn't recall what you rode but knew you loved it. As for looking around, that's good advice as I've been out of the market for over 20 years.

Suzukis are still good bikes. They have a broad range of product, so the best thing to do would be to go to a dealer and check them out. Like Jesse said, the Bandit is a good choice - relaxed riding position and a hoot to ride. Plus there's an outfit called Holeshot that sells lots of go-fast parts for the Bandit, so if you like to tinker, you're covered. A 1200 may sound a little bigger than you need, but it's manageable, and IMO the Bandit 600 is underpowered.

Since it's been a long time since you've ridden, it would be a good idea to take the MSF basic rider course. It's a good refresher, plus you'll probably learn something new. And in many places, the course will include your state written and riding test, so you can just go to the DMV and get your motorcycle endorsement added.

And don't forget to buy good protective gear!

Trapper John

Thanks, John. The MSF course is a must and I wouldn't think of getting back in the game without successfully completing the course.

Yeah, I'm a tinkerer alright and would enjoying messing around with the bike (have a street rod I'm selling that I love working on).

Last edited:
If you haven't ridden for awhile purchase a used bike. That way you won't feel so bad when you drop it. I'm about the same height as Jesse, and I've ridden all kinds of bikes. I can touch the ground on tiptoes on my sportbike. Bit better on the Goldwing, but damn that thing is heavy.

The V-twin cruiser bikes are fairly low slung, although they cater to a fairly specific image. I gravitate toward them not because I like them, but because the bike you started the thread with is modeled after them. The Honda Shadow is a really good bike, comes in many denominations (small, large, and gigantic), and is as bulletproof as any bike is ever likely to be.

The bike Jesse mentions is one of my all time favorites, but will sit higher. It will also do things no cruiser will do. Like an aircraft you have to think about your mission. Do you like to tear around town, or rider the twisty mountain roads, or do big trips on the interstate? What you want to do should instruct your choice of bike. I would worry less about whether your feet reach the ground. I've had plenty of bikes where I was one foot down at the stop lights, and I'm still here. Mostly.

Thanks for the insight. Guess what I can do is once I find a used bike that is interesting is to post it up here and ask about any known "gotchas" to look for.

My mission is less interstate and more relaxing riding down lesser used roads with a couple friends.

Thanks for the insight. Guess what I can do is once I find a used bike that is interesting is to post it up here and ask about any known "gotchas" to look for.

My mission is less interstate and more relaxing riding down lesser used roads with a couple friends.

What type of riding? When I ride the back roads with friends they have curves and we ride like the wind. My fire-breathing sportbike is just the thing, and more fun than I can describe in words. Dangerous too.

If its just relaxed Sunday afternoon rides then any sort of cruiser or touring bike will do. The Bandit is an excellent choice. The only other wisdom I can give is when you get the bike fly up here to Columbus Ohio and I'll take you to the Iron Pony. What you spend in Avgas you'll save in gear.

Oh, people will be right there to tell you that it's overpriced, apparently is lacking logs, that there are 3 other types that can get you more performance for less money.........

Yeah, I'm a tinkerer alright and would enjoying messing around with the bike (have a street rod I'm selling that I love working on).

It's a big plus to be able to do your own maintenance and repairs, since motorcycle dealers charge a bundle. You can save enough right there to pay for a bunch of speed parts. :devil:

Trapper John

It's a big plus to be able to do your own maintenance and repairs, since motorcycle dealers charge a bundle. You can save enough right there to pay for a bunch of speed parts. :devil:

Trapper John

Yeah, I've been a master ASE tech for over 20 years (although I no longer need it) as well as having instructed techs for several. Tinkering and saving money is a great combo. :D

In a deep gravel parking lot on a steep grade in the Ozarks, you're toast.

What type of riding? When I ride the back roads with friends they have curves and we ride like the wind. My fire-breathing sportbike is just the thing, and more fun than I can describe in words. Dangerous too.

If its just relaxed Sunday afternoon rides then any sort of cruiser or touring bike will do. The Bandit is an excellent choice. The only other wisdom I can give is when you get the bike fly up here to Columbus Ohio and I'll take you to the Iron Pony. What you spend in Avgas you'll save in gear.

Mostly relaxed Sunday rides with an occasional overnighter. I have enough stress in my life so adding too much danger to the mix would negate the desired result ;). The roads in Mid-TN are anything but straight but nothing radical. I'll take you up on the Iron Pony offer, thanks!

I like Suzuki sport bikes and all Honda bikes. The Suzuki cruisers are a bit lackluster to me, but I enjoy cruisers. The Japanese (especially Honda) have made a lot of cruiser bikes with surprisingly good handling, like my VTX1800 (which is great, but a bit heavy if you're out of practice).

Get a used bike for sure, but try a couple and figure out which you like. All the Japanese ones are good, I have no experience with the current offerings of Europe and America.

Thanks in advance!

I was looking at the Triumphs at the bike show last week. Nice looking
bikes and price wasn't too bad.

I think you just look around at the different dealers and bikes and see
what you like and what fits. Everyone is different. I started out years
ago on ricer dirt bikes then moved to a Harley. I didn't ride for a few years
and went back to Harleys when I did. I do a lot of highway riding to the
airport and so I like my Geezer Glide (Electra Glide Ultra). They're great for
us old gray haired types. Last summer I took a trip up to Sturgis and the Black Hills for a weekend and was very happy with the bike on the road.

If I had the extra cash though it would be fun to
get a sport bike to fool around on.

I second the MSF course suggestion. I did that when I got back into it
even though I had quite a bit of riding time. It was fun and I think a
good investment.

RT

Mostly relaxed Sunday rides with an occasional overnighter. I have enough stress in my life so adding too much danger to the mix would negate the desired result ;). The roads in Mid-TN are anything but straight but nothing radical. I'll take you up on the Iron Pony offer, thanks!

Hard to go wrong, except for buying a Harley. Post up with what you get, and do let me know when you're ready to come up. The IP is pretty sweet. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to go the sportbike route, they aren 't comfy and can be terrifying the wrong hands. Loads of fun in my hands. My last two bikes I got on Craigslist. Good luck.

We have a 2005 TBA. Nice bike. Probably the smoothest riding bike we own. (we own several.....Guzzi, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, etc)

First year we owned the bike, Pete (the spouse, who's 5'4" and has a 27" inseam) put about 11,000 miles on it. Got rid of the stock seat and put on a Corbin single seat with back rest and a set of lowered shocks. But after about 1500 miles of being hammered around feeling like he was going to lose teeth, we put the stock shocks back on. Added a small Memphis handlebar mount screen as well. gets decent mileage if you don't have a lead hand.

Maintenance can be a chore. Learn to do it yourself and save a BUNCH of $$$.

Other than the stroke inducing cost of its first service, I really cannot complain about the bike. I don't much care for the forward controls anymore, but that is personal preference now, and not a problem with the bike, we still enjoy riding it.

Its been trouble free and fun to ride.

Style of the bike has changed a bit.... Bike on the other side of the bald head is a 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV. awesome bike.... the short, bald guy rides it. I have a 1998 version of the same bike called a V11 EV.
tba1.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong, except for buying a Harley. Post up with what you get, and do let me know when you're ready to come up. The IP is pretty sweet. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to go the sportbike route, they aren 't comfy and can be terrifying the wrong hands. Loads of fun in my hands. My last two bikes I got on Craigslist. Good luck.

Will keep you posted. Checked out the local safety courses and one is held each weekend so now I need to find a weekend when I won't be flying out on Sunday. Thanks again for the offer!

We have a 2005 TBA. Nice bike. Probably the smoothest riding bike we own. (we own several.....Guzzi, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, etc)

First year we owned the bike, Pete (the spouse, who's 5'4" and has a 27" inseam) put about 11,000 miles on it. Got rid of the stock seat and put on a Corbin single seat with back rest and a set of lowered shocks. But after about 1500 miles of being hammered around feeling like he was going to lose teeth, we put the stock shocks back on. Added a small Memphis handlebar mount screen as well. gets decent mileage if you don't have a lead hand.

Maintenance can be a chore. Learn to do it yourself and save a BUNCH of $$$.

Other than the stroke inducing cost of its first service, I really cannot complain about the bike. I don't much care for the forward controls anymore, but that is personal preference now, and not a problem with the bike, we still enjoy riding it.

Its been trouble free and fun to ride.

Style of the bike has changed a bit.... Bike on the other side of the bald head is a 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV. awesome bike.... the short, bald guy rides it. I have a 1998 version of the same bike called a V11 EV.
tba1.jpg

Thanks a ton, Dee! Great looking bike!

If it's not been suggested yet, my recommendation wouldn't be for a specific bike, but rather for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's rider course. If it's been almost 30 years since you've ridded, you might save yourself some skin and jingle by getting up to speed with them first. :)

If it's not been suggested yet, my recommendation wouldn't be for a specific bike, but rather for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's rider course. If it's been almost 30 years since you've ridded, you might save yourself some skin and jingle by getting up to speed with them first. :)

I'll second that. I gave up riding when I graduated from college (wife and I have the scars to show we used to ride) and given how long ago that was I know I'd want training. But, as long as we're married, I don't have to worry about it. No bike, no way, no how.

An MSF safety course is a very good idea. Bikes can be dangerous, training and gear are both highly recommended.

Well you asked about Triumphs. The new ones are well built from what I hear and if they fit you go for it. Its nice having something a little different. I had a 1978 Triumph 750 Boneville for many years and a Norton. Both were bought in the early 80's when British bikes were well past their prime and the Japanese in-line fours were ruling the road. (And still do for sportbikes in may ways). The Norton was an 850 Combat Commando. See the trend here? The Bonne I eventually tricked out as a cafe racer with similar seating geometry to the Norton. I am 6 ft. so no vertical issues, but prefer a sport bike seating position for the type of riding I've always done.

About ten or so years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a Triumph Daytona or Ducati 900SS. Instead I bought a Piper Cherokee and the rest is history.

Ride several if you can then make your choice.

The MSF course is a foregone conclusion. There is one held each weekend about 20 miles from the house. I was surprised to see it offered at the relatively reasonable price of $195. Not bad for about 19 hours of training.

Enrolled for the MSF class the weekend of March 26. Gotta get that part successfully completed before moving on to the purchase part.

Took a look at the Shadow Aero this past week while in St. Augustine. The swept back bars are much more comfortable than the straighter bars for my upright sitting position (dang lower back lol). Also, it was the first bike I have mounted where I was flat footed. The sales guy did say floor boards are available which is something I think I'd want at least initially as a foot forward stance is something I've not dealt with previously.

The search continues on...

Thanks to all who have, and may continue, to offer suggestions and input!

I have boards on my Wing and detest them. I have to reach around them to put my feet on the ground. I'd replace them with pegs if they (pegs) weren't so expensive.

Last edited:
I have boards on my Wing and detest them. I have to reach around them to put my feet on the ground. I replace them with pegs if they (pegs) weren't so expensive.

Ah, that's something I didn't consider with the boards. Thanks!!

The first 3.5 hours of MSF training are in the books. So far things have been remarkably basic but I guess that's why it's called a "basic" class ;)

Back in the saddle tomorrow morning at 8. It's gonna be a cold morning with lows in the upper 30's but climbing to about 70.

Back