*N/A* motorcycle question

Some friends of mine ride the bmw LT's (I think that stands for Light Truck) and they ride the absolute hell out of 'em - leaving their sport bike friends in the dust! The only time I rode a goldwing was to ride it out of a ditch for a guy and his wife who were only able to ride it INTO the ditch. :) That was the same trip I saw a goldwing with a canvas awning/top on it - striped with fringe on the front and rear! :eek:

There was a year or two that every time I rode out of state on my Honda Sabre, it seemed like it rained on me for the whole trip. And I kept seeing the wingers on the other side of the highway - they looked like they were soooo much happier. And drier. :eek:

When I first bought the 954, Mrs. Steingar said I was out of my frakking mind (I replied that it had taken her a rather long time to notice). I didn't think she could ride it, but she hadn't gone riding with me in an age, so no biggie. Awhile later she lamented that she missed our occasional ride, however rare they were. I therefore set out to buy a second bike that would be to her liking. I found an old inexpensive Goldwing in running condition, and bought it because I thought she would like it. I have been right on that point, she likes the smooth ride and the big cases. I do have to admit its big windshield has extended my riding season and make my winter riding (I ride through the middle of December) much more bearable.

The only way it (or any other touring bike) could leave the 954 in the dust is with a huge head start into the desert. I don't mean to denigrate tourers, but the liter sport bikes are scary fast. The Wing is slow and piggy (for a bike), and is the only bike on which I've crashed. But I can get the Mrs. to kit up (she can leave the gear in the cases upon arrival) and it does give a smooth ride. I can see why a lot of people have bought Goldwings over the years. Oh, and it was made right here.

But if I ever have to get out of the way in a hurry, good luck. My one crash would have been a miss on the Fireblade. I've powered or maneuvered out of way too many scrapes over the years. And boy are my nerves on edge when I take out the Wing. But like I said, the wife likes it, and we mostly ride on country roads with it.

I have invested in Cordura kit over the years. While I was still doing big bike trips I didn't worry about rain so much.

And of course far greater wisdom from others. I dump on Harleys (quite cleverly I might add) but to each his own.

Had a friend from work check out the Vulcan today. His analysis is that the bike is cherry, rides like a dream and should be purchased. I just hung up with the owner and he agreed to hold it for me until I can get there on Friday. Whoo hoo!

Hey I enjoy riding my sewing machine! And even Tom has to agree that riding half of an A-65 is appealing to a pilot :). I was tempted to upgrade my trusty R65 the other week when I saw a really nice Daytona Orange smoke R90S at the local beemer dealer. The price was pretty decent, too.

My R45 wants to be an R65 when she grows up. :D

If you enjoy twisties check out the movie my buddy Tommy made.

http://blip.tv/file/3420836

Tommy and his "Sportbike Hooligan" friends make several trips a year, and Tommy usually makes a movie of the video he shoots. Oh and he also composes the soundtrack.

Some friends of mine ride the bmw LT's (I think that stands for Light Truck) and they ride the absolute hell out of 'em - leaving their sport bike friends in the dust! The only time I rode a goldwing was to ride it out of a ditch for a guy and his wife who were only able to ride it INTO the ditch. :) That was the same trip I saw a goldwing with a canvas awning/top on it - striped with fringe on the front and rear! :eek:

There was a year or two that every time I rode out of state on my Honda Sabre, it seemed like it rained on me for the whole trip. And I kept seeing the wingers on the other side of the highway - they looked like they were soooo much happier. And drier. :eek:

Waaay back in 1974 I bought a brand new BMW R90/6. I still have it and it now has 172,000 trouble free miles on it. I have been from the top of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia to South Carolina on it and everywhere in between. So you can say that I "rode the hell out of it". Lessee, trips to Ottawa, Quebec, three times to the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire, Niagra Falls and it NEVER went to any of those places on a trailer behind a car like I see so often these days.
To me, THAT is a good bike!

Took the plunge today and picked up the bike. The thing rides great and the Corbin seat is most comfortable.

Thanks to all who offered insight, it is greatly appreciated. :yesnod:

Attachments

• Bike 1.jpg
    Bike 1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Bike 3.jpg
    Bike 3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 16
Took the plunge today and picked up the bike. The thing rides great and the Corbin seat is most comfortable.

That's a lot of bike. Good luck. I finally got the Fireblade out of cold storage.
What fun! Ten minutes from one end of town to the other on surface streets (takes that long on the freeway). Thing ain't comfortable, but man can it book!
honda-cbr954rr.gif

not mine, but close enough.

Last edited:
That's a lot of bike. Good luck. I finally got the Fireblade out of cold storage.
What fun! Ten minutes from one end of town to the other on surface streets (takes that long on the freeway). Thing ain't comfortable, but man can it book!
not mine, but close enough.

Nice ride! Not sure if true or not but I suspect the CAFE style bikes would be heck on my already troublesome lower back.

Nice ride! Not sure if true or not but I suspect the CAFE style bikes would be heck on my already troublesome lower back.

More likely to hit you in your neck and shoulders. Not at all comfortable. the last time I tried to do a long trip on mine I decided instead of waterboarding the terrorists they should just make them ride sportbikes.

Nice bike! On the Suzuki boards they mention the 30 day rule to all new owners. The first 30 are the times you're most likely to dump it, so ride safe....And enjoy!

Back