N/A Best carpet cleaning machines (shampooers)?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by bnt83, Nov 5, 2018.

1. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    This is a typical 2 bedroom apartment and not a palace.

The flooring a friends apartment is disgusting. Rather than have a company do it, with the dog barking the whole time, I'd rather just do it myself. (she's permanently disabled and needs the help)

2. Grum.Man

Grum.Man Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    For what it cost to get an actual good one, you will be so much further ahead paying a professional. If you insist on doing it your self, go rent a unit from Lowes or Home Depot. The ones you see on the shelf at Walmart all kind of suck. They take up a huge amount of room for how little they get used and are a pain to clean.

3. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Yup, Lowes/HD rental is the way to go if you want to save a few bucks. Most carpet cleaning companies will have it done for less than $100. Rental + carpet cleaning solution will probably run you $50. So is your time worth $50?

4. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I would definitely hire a professional service. I’ve always thought the idea of using those Rug Doctor’s and rental cleaners in general is just nasty.

5. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    I bought one of those DIY Hoover cleaners a long time ago. It works OK, but not as good as a rental or a pro. It's good if you have small areas and just want to keep up with them every year or two.

The Rug Doctor rentals seem to work pretty well, but be careful. Sometimes they are not very clean when you get them and it's pretty nasty to think about what they just got finished sucking up in someone else's house or apartment.

I've had the best success with the pros. The do a pretty good job of spot cleaning first, getting the right amount of cleaning agent into the carpets, and the biggest thing is that they do a good job of extracting water back out of the carpets so they dry more quickly. They guys we've used in the past do a lot of commercial work and do residential as side jobs.

Make sure to put something under the furniture legs (like double-folded aluminum foil) if you move furniture around. Otherwise the damp carpet might stain in those spots.

For a 2 BR apartment, I'd just rent from HD or Lowe's. Vacuum as deeply as possible, first. Get a spray bottle of the spot cleaner to pretreat anything you think needs it, then hit it all with the Rug Doctor.

6. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
  7. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    These are my favorite:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But third choice would be as others have said: hire a pro.

8. Rushie

Rushie Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    I liked Zerorez.

9. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I have had a few carpet shampoo machines. None really worked as well as the rental Rug Doctors. They will just need more shampoo than you think.

10. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    That is a common mistake. Too much soap will leave residue and attract dirt. I have a consumer level Rug Doctor and it works well, but you have to vacuum first and go light on the soap.

11. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    I've got a Bissell ProHeat2X Revolution, and I'm thoroughly impressed with how much dirt it got out of the carpet. A little over $200.

12. JCranford

JCranford Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    JCranford
    We have a buncha cats and dogs. The full size Bissell and the smaller handy size ones are great! Clean fast and hold up to a lot of use.

SoCal RV Flyer likes this.