My Wife's First Solo

Peter Anderson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SVTPete83
It was actually more exciting watching my wife get to do this whole pilot thing than when I went through it. Pretty neat day last week when I got to see my wife solo. I was surprised at the range of emotions I had when she was up there. Her aviation goal is to get her ticket and get to fly our RV9. This was the first big step!

Very nice, I like how she talks to herself, recognizes the little things she needs to correct, and then corrects them. She's gonna do great!

That is absolutely cool, congrats to her and it seems like she will do great with the rest of her training!

Congrats!

As far as the other video - "you didn't ask". I wonder if I can use that if I miss something the next time I fly.......

She called her base - I'm thinking her CFI trained her at a non towered airport and for some reason dumped her at a new airport with a tower??

let's not ignore the fact that she is brave enough to not only video her first solo but, let it get posted on POA. No way in hell would I have done that to let all of you knuckleheads (i mean that in the nicest possible way) critique my first solo.

let's not ignore the fact that she is brave enough to not only video her first solo but, let it get posted on POA. No way in hell would I have done that to let all of you knuckleheads (i mean that in the nicest possible way) critique my first solo.
You assume he got permission or even mentioned it before posting......:)

It was actually more exciting watching my wife get to do this whole pilot thing than when I went through it. Pretty neat day last week when I got to see my wife solo. I was surprised at the range of emotions I had when she was up there. Her aviation goal is to get her ticket and get to fly our RV9. This was the first big step!

That was a fun watch, a trip down memory lane. I to liked the way she talked things through like said above. Was wondering though, why not use your plane? Or is there something that says you can't get a PPL with an SLA airplane?

And just how nice is 'nicest possible':biggrin:?

That was a fun watch, a trip down memory lane. I to liked the way she talked things through like said above. Was wondering though, why not use your plane? Or is there something that says you can't get a PPL with an SLA airplane?

We have an RV9 and she could have trained in that. But she did not want to beat it up like can happen in training. Also in the RV everything happens much quicker. It’s tougher to scrub speed, and it’s just not quite as forgiving as a 172. So she opted to learn in a 172.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We have an RV9 and she could have trained in that. But she did not want to beat it up like can happen in training. Also in the RV everything happens much quicker. It’s tougher to scrub speed, and it’s just not quite as forgiving as a 172. So she opted to learn in a 172.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Makes sense.

That’s awesome!
My wife soloed last summer and it was pretty neat to watch her do it (her CFI clued me in so she had no idea I was there). She got her ticket in Dec. As someone mentioned above, be prepared for a battle over who gets to be PIC. I’ve noticed that ATC is more ‘friendly’ to her than me

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! (I’m Pete’s wife.) It was definitely an amazing experience and I’m so excited keep going. No more NASCAR laps around the pattern, or at least fewer of them. Lol. I’m pretty lucky to have the support system too. Pete was more nervous than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! (I’m Pete’s wife.) It was definitely an amazing experience and I’m so excited keep going. No more NASCAR laps around the pattern, or at least fewer of them. Lol. I’m pretty lucky to have the support system too. Pete was more nervous than me!

You did great. Glad mine was not in a video as my first pass was a go around because I couldn’t get down in time due to loosing 250+ lbs of CFI. Took another round to figure out power adjustment for the lighter load. I like how you talk yourself through the process but also used the check list. You will do well as a pilot just fly often and enjoy it. Congratulations

I have a video of my first solo.

I suppose I could edit out the embarrassing parts!

Back